2 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2009 4:32 PM by Michael Borbor

How to set variable length of a TextArea?

hsfrey

I would like to set the width of a TextArea and have the length automatically adjust to the amount of text I put in it, avoiding the insertion of a scrollbar.

I've been unable to find the question answered in either the documentation or the forum archives.

I read somewhere that if I set the width to an absolute number and omitted the height, that would do the job, but it doesn't. It just gives me a TextArea 2 lines high with a scrollbar. (And, I'd prefer to use widths as percents, if possible).

Here is the sample code using just absolute heights:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute" applicationComplete="loadXML()" >

<mx:Script>     <![CDATA[
               [Bindable]
               var xmlData:XML;
              var urlLoader = new URLLoader();

private function loadXML():void
          {    urlLoader.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE,onXMLLoaded); urlLoader.load(new  URLRequest("../data/paralog.xml"));    }

function onXMLLoaded(e:Event):void{  xmlData =  new XML(e.target.data); }
           ]]> </mx:Script>

<mx:Panel title="{xmlData.title.toString()}" height="400" width="600" layout="vertical"
              horizontalAlign="center" status="status area" >

<mx:TextArea width="200"
              htmlText="{xmlData.detail.docket.toString()
              + '&lt;br&gt;' + xmlData.detail.date.toString()}"
              />

<mx:VBox width="500" borderStyle="solid" paddingTop="10" paddingBottom="10" paddingLeft="10" paddingRight="10"   >
               <mx:TextArea width="200" editable="false"  text="{'Question:' + xmlData.issue.(@id=='i1').question.toString()}"/>
              <mx:HBox width="550" >
                   <mx:TextArea width="200" editable="false"  text="{xmlData.*.claim.(@id=='i1Y').statement.toString()}"/>
                   <mx:TextArea width="200" editable="false"  text="{xmlData.*.claim.(@id=='i1N1').statement.toString()}"/>
              </mx:HBox>
          </mx:VBox>
           </mx:Panel>  

</mx:Application>

FYI, here's the XML I'm reading in:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
      <case>
      <title>DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA et al. v. HELLER</title>
      <detail>
      <docket>U.S. Supreme Court No. 07-290</docket>
      <date>2008-06-26</date>
      <syllabus>07-290.Sy.html</syllabus>
      <decision author="AS">MU-07-290.Op.AS.html</decision>
      <dissent author="JS">MU-07-290.Di.JS.html</dissent>
      <dissent author="SB">MU-07-290.Di.SB.html</dissent>
      </detail>

<issue id="i1">
          <question>
          Does the 2d Amendment protect an individual right to possess a usable handgun and to use it for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home? 
          </question>
          <claim id="i1Y" author="AS" textAt="07-290.AS#S18, 07-290.AS#S625"
                          supportedBy="(i1Yg1)" >
              <statement holding="true">Yes. The 2d Amendment protects an individual right to possess firearms and the [District of Columbia]'s total ban on handguns, as well as its requirement that firearms in the home be kept nonfunctional even when necessary for self-defense, violated that right.</statement>
          </claim>
          <claim id="i1N1" author="JS" textAt="07-290.JS#GETTHIS" opposedBy="(i1N1g1)">
              <statement>No. The prefatory clause demonstrates that the 2d Amendment protects only the right to possess and carry a firearm in connection with militia service.</statement>
          </claim>
          <claim id="i1N2" author="SB" textAt="07-290.SB#GETTHIS">
              <statement>No</statement>
          </claim>
      </issue><!--i1-->

<snip>

Harvey