7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2009 10:56 PM by dmsketchup

PE4 File Export giving wrong field order

dmsketchup

In PE4, when I execute File-Export with the following settings:

General/File Type: Microsoft DV AVI

Video/Compressor: DV PAL

Keyframe and Rendering/Fields: Upper Field First

It creates the AVI OK, but GSPOT shows that the AVI is Lower Field First, not Upper Field First as specified in the settings.

Why?  Is this a bug or does selecting DV force LFF (if so, then why isn't the UFF option greyed out in the settings?).

What I am trying to do is create some smaller sub-projects in the form of AVI's, which I will eventually import into a final large project.  The source files for the subprojects are mpgs from an HD camcorder, so they are Upper Field First (UFF), and so I am using the PAL Harddisk project preset, which expects source files to be UFF.

Since my final project will include both UFF mpgs and those AVI subprojects, I want the AVIs to be UFF also, so that I don't have to selectively reverse field orders etc.

Is this wrong?

Thanks

Dave

• 1. Re: PE4 File Export giving wrong field order
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Lower field first is the standard -- and preferred format -- for DV-AVIs.

Are you sure you want to create upper field first AVIs? They won't work right in video editors.

• 2. Re: PE4 File Export giving wrong field order
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

I agree with Steve. Just Export your DV-AVI's with LFF (the standard) and then in you new Project, where you will combine these, use the DV-PAL Preset for it. That *should* yield the proper end result.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE4 File Export giving wrong field order
              dmsketchup Level 1

Thanks guys.

I hear you and will definitely go the LFF route, but can I clarify something?

1) Would not UFF work as long as I start with a UFF preset (like the harddisk camcorder presets).  That's what that preset if for right?

2) If I wanted to include one of my UFF mpgs in the final project that will have all the (now) LFF DV AVI's in it, and I started with the DV PAL preset, would I need to "reverse field dominance" for the UFF mpgs clips?  Or would you just say convert ALL my UFF mpgs to LFF DV AVI and be done with it?

Thanks again,

Dave

• 4. Re: PE4 File Export giving wrong field order
                Paul_LS Level 4

DV-AVI will always be exported to LFF as it is the standard as Steve says... for example MPEG Streamclip, a conversion program often recommended here has an option to set the field order on export... but no matter what you set DV-AVI is always LFF.

If you are working in a DV project preset then you need to select reverse field dominance for any UFF media. However, sometimes when you reverse the field order and then place effects or transitions it can "cancel" the field order reversal.. so really if you intend to add effects/transitions/titles to your clips I would recommend to convert your files to LFF DV-AVIs before bringing them into Premiere Elements. You can even use Premiere Elements for the conversion by applying field order reversal and then exporting to DV-AVI.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE4 File Export giving wrong field order
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe I'm just in an agreeable mood today, but I concur. With regards to Field Dominance, go with your final delivery scheme. In your initial Projects, you will do best to set a Project Preset, based on your original camera footage. However, by Exporting to DV-AVI, LFF, that is the ultimate Preset. Things have now changed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE4 File Export giving wrong field order
                    dmsketchup Level 1

==> "You can even use Premiere Elements for the conversion by applying field order reversal and then exporting to DV-AVI."

Splitting hairs I know, but again to clarify for me:

For the initial conversion to DV-AVI, if I start a project in PE4 with a UFF preset, bring in my UFF mpgs, then export to DV-AVI (WITHOUT applying field order reversal), is this doing the same as what you suggest?  That is, in this case, the field reversal is taken care of by PE4 behind the scenes because I told it to do so by using a UFF preset?  Or do I still need to manually reverse the fields?

Sorry to be dense, but there seems to be many ways to do the same thing, and I'm trying to figure out the simplest and least error prone way to do it.

Dave

• 7. Re: PE4 File Export giving wrong field order
                      Paul_LS Level 4

Yes, Premiere Elements will take care of the field order when exporting to DV-AVI if you use an UFF video in the "Hard Drive, Flash Memory Camcorder" UFF project preset.