17 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2009 11:31 AM by the_wine_snob

Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)

johns_program

Hi, I wanted to create a new DVD Template to use for creating DVDs. I made sure that I previewed it on Premiere Elements 4 to make sure all the buttons, selections, and vice versa are perfect. Then, I burn my project onto a DVD+RW. However, when I load the DVD on any player, the cursor doesn't show at all. I've checked between the templates that came with Premiere Elements with mine, but haven't find any differences that I was missing in my created template.

Here's what my template contains...

File name

set name

• layer name

(layer type)

Main MenuScene Selection

title

• title name (text box)

(+>) next arrow

• (=1) Highlight (layer)
      • next arrow (layer)

(+<) previous

• (=1) Highlight (layer)
      • previous arrow (layer)

(++) scenes

(^^)

• (en_US(-))  scenes (text box)
        • (fr_FR(-))  scenes (text box)
        • (de_DE(-))  scenes (text box)
        • (ja_JP(-))  scenes (text box)
        • (it_IT(-))  scenes (text box)
        • (sv_SE(-))  scenes (text box)
        • (es_ES(-))  scenes (text box)
        • (nl_NL(-))  scenes (text box)
        • (zh_CN(-))  scenes (text box)
      • (=1) Highlight (layer)

(+*) main menu

(^^)

• (en_US(-))  main menu (text box)
        • (fr_FR(-))  main menu (text box)
        • (de_DE(-))  main menu (text box)
        • (ja_JP(-))  main menu (text box)
        • (it_IT(-))  main menu (text box)
        • (sv_SE(-))  main menu (text box)
        • (es_ES(-))  main menu (text box)
        • (nl_NL(-))  main menu (text box)
        • (zh_CN(-))  main menu (text box)
      • (=1) Highlight (layer)

background

• background (layer)

(+>) next arrow

• border (fill layer)
      • (=1) select (layer)
      • >> (text box)

(+^) gotomainmenu

• border (fill layer)
      • (=1) select (layer)
      • To Main Menu (text box)

(+<) previous

• border (fill layer)
      • (=1) select (layer)
      • << (text box)

(+) scene copy 2

• (=1) select copy 2 (layer)
      • border copy 2 (layer)

(^^)

• (en_US(-)) Scene Item copy 2 (text box)
      • (%)Video copy 2 (layer)

(+) scene copy

• (=1) select copy (layer)
      • border copy (layer)

(^^)

• (en_US(-)) Scene Item copy (text box)
      • (%)Video copy (layer)

(+) scene

• (=1) select (layer)
      • border (layer)

(^^)

• (en_US(-)) Scene Item (text box)
      • (%)Video (layer)

background (layer) [not in a set]

I made sure that the special characters, like (++) (^^) (=1) etc, are correct.

The question is, is this, so far, the correct way for creating a new DVD Template?

By the way, I'm new to this forum!

• 1. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First - Welcome to the Adobe PE forum!

Next, it sound like you are having problems with the Sub-Picture Highlights on your Menu. I have a question, in a couple of parts:

1.) Are you testing your DVD RW (good policy to test with a DVD RW, BTW) on a set-top player, hooked to a TV?

2.) Are you testing on your computer with a software DVD player?

Reason for asking is the use of the work "cursor."

3.) Did you start with one of the Library Menus, and then build from that, or did you create this Menu from scratch?

4.) If you did start with a Library Menu, how did you change/edit the Highlight Layer. Exactly, how is it constructed for the "average" Button on your Menu?

5.) Do any of your Sub-Picture Highlights function, or just some? Are they ON, regardless of which Button is navigated to?

6.) Is the visibility of your Sub-Picture Highlight Layers turned OFF (no "eyeball" in the first column)?

In general terms, I do not see any real problem in the Menu's Layer Sets, but I'm still not sure about the individual Layers, within the respective Button Layer Sets.

Sorry to ask so many questions, especially as you have furnished a good reference chart. Maybe some of my questions are based on my use of certain terms.

I think that you are close, and that there's just one little thing keeping this Menu from functioning properly.

Hunt

PS I am assuming that you are working on this Menu in Photoshop. If you are using PSE, you may have to interpolate for me, as I do not have, and have never used that particular program. Still, PSE should be able to do everything that you are wanting to do. I just might not know exactly how that program does things, as I use PS CS2.

• 2. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Did you build this template from an existing DVD template or did you create it from scratch?

Also, not all DVD players can played home-burned DVDs with equal success, particularly if you are using cheaper media like Memorex discs.

Have you tested the DVD on your computer to see if your computer's DVD player's software works with it?

• 3. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
              johns_program Level 1

answering the questions...

1.) Are you testing your DVD RW (good policy to test with a DVD RW, BTW) on a set-top player, hooked to a TV?

Yes, I have one DVD player hooked-up to my TV.

2.) Are you testing on your computer with a software DVD player?

Yes, i'm using PowerDVD.

3.) Did you start with one of the Library Menus, and then build from that, or did you create this Menu from scratch?

I based it upon one Library item because Photoshop Elements and then replaces the old set with the new sets with the layers that I wanted to add to the template. (Notice that I don't have the "play all" and the "go to menu" button on the main menu)

4.) If you did start with a Library Menu, how did you change/edit the Highlight Layer. Exactly, how is it constructed for the "average" Button on your Menu?

I simply used a standard layer that carries a picture of a border that goes around the selected item. I made one for the menu and then the scene selection button via duplication (in the proper set folder), and one NEW ONE for the next button and then the previous arrows via duplication. (This is for the main menu)

For the scene selection, there is one border highlight for each video rectangles via duplication, one NEW ONE for the next button and then the previous arrows via duplication, and one NEW ONE for the "go to main menu" button. (hopefully this answers your question)

5.) Do any of your Sub-Picture Highlights function, or just some? Are they ON, regardless of which Button is navigated to?

For the menu, every set except the title and background can be highlighted.

Fort he scene selection, every set made can be highlighted.

I couldn't understand the last question.

6.) Is the visibility of your Sub-Picture Highlight Layers turned OFF (no "eyeball" in the first column)?

For the main menu, the next and previous button highlights are off, but the menu and scene selection highlights are on.

For the scene selection, every items have the highlight on.

Also, I forgot to mentioned that I used two DVDs to burn with: DVD-R & DVD+RW. Both was able to be written and the DVD players, computer and tv, was able to read, but still resulted the same issue with the cursor.

I'm not sure if I explained this already, but I used a template that came with Premiere Elements, and the cursor managed to work after burning.

• 4. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)

One more question:

You say you don't see the highlights as you navigate -- but what happens if you click the Enter/Select button? What happens if you use the arrow keys to navigate to another button (even though the navigation is invisible) and you press Enter/Select?

One thing I've found with DVD menus is that some colors of highlights don't show up. They're there -- they just can't be seen.

If that's the case, you'll be able to navigate "invisibly". And, if that's the case, it's as simple as changing your highlight or highlight color to a web safe color.

• 5. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
                  johns_program Level 1

You say you don't see the highlights as you navigate -- but what happens if you click the Enter/Select button

The highlights still doesn't show, but the buttons work.

What happens if you use the arrow keys to navigate to another button (even though the navigation is invisible) and you press Enter/Select?

It'll select a button, but doesn't show me the highlight. Depending on what button it selects, it preforms the actions associated to that button.

• 6. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)

Then my guess would be that it's the color you're using for your highlight.

Try switching it to a web safe color.

(Note that you'll likely have to restart the program and temporarily switch to another DVD template to clear your selection before your changes will show.)

• 7. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
                      johns_program Level 1

Do I have to do it only for the highlight or for the whole template?

• 8. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)

You need to change any highlights you want to show to a web safe color!

I would also recommend that any highlight layers be ABOVE rather than under the frames or text they're going to highlight.

• 9. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
                          johns_program Level 1

ok, after many, MANY testing, I think I found a solution!

Before, I was using the color white as a cursor, and the reason it's not displaying it's because I believe white is considered a transparent color regardless of the opacity. So, when I had selected a lighter gray for the cursor, it started showing on the DVD.

• 10. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

In #6, you actually also ansered the last part of #5. Turn the Visibility of these Sub-Picture Highlight Layers OFF. They are then "activated" automatically, when one navigates to the these Buttons. If they are all ON, in the .PSD, they are all ON when the Menu is used on both computer and set-top player. The user will never know when they have navigated to these. This will mean that there is no indication, when those Buttons are about to be activated.

Hope that this clears up your problem. If it does not, then we'll do some more work. If there are other problems, we'll tackle those too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)

Great news, Johns! Sounds like I may have been on the right track then?

Happy moviemaking!

• 12. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
                                johns_program Level 1

Ok, now I know...

The selection can not be colored white since it's a transparent color and any alpha levels will be automatically solidified when running the DVDs.

Thanks for your help!

• 13. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

One quick question on setting the Menu Color Set for Sub-picture Highlights in PE (the =1, 2 3, etc.): is this directly addressable in PE? I know that with PS and Encore, I do my editing in PS, but then can only alter the Color Set for that Menu back in Encore. Just looking for details on doing this in PE.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)

If by PE you mean Premiere Elements -- no, you can not re-color the highlight in Premiere Elements, Hunt.

• 15. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you and yes, PE = Premiere Elements. Now, one more question: can this be done in PSE (Photoshop Elements)? It cannot be done in PS (unless PS-Extended CS4 now offers it).

Thanks,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)

Recoloring the highlight can be done in current versions of Photoshop as well as Photoshop Elements (assuming you can open the layer set).

• 17. Re: Selection Problems @ Disc Menu (v4)
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I appreciate knowing this. Another good reason for me to update to CS4. Having to dart back and forth between PS CS2 and Encore can be a bit of a drag.

Thanks for the info,

Hunt