8 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2009 8:36 AM by RobertEdgar

Bug with Director 11, Shockwave, and Mac/Windows compatability?

RobertEdgar

I'm developing in Windows XT, using Director 11.

I've got my video clips on a server and have their paths in their cast member filename fields.

I'm getting the duration of the video clip and using it to play the clip until it's done.

This works fine if I access the server using a Macintosh.

If I use my Windows XP computer, I get a "0" duration, and the video doesn't play.

Why is there a difference playing the same file from the two separate platforms?

Is this a known bug in Director 11?

Thanks

Robert

• 1. Re: Bug with Director 11, Shockwave, and Mac/Windows compatability?
          Mark A. Boyd Level 4

If your code is in a behavior in the frame script channel, is it in the same frame as the first frame of the video sprite? If so, try putting it on the last frame of the video sprite's span. ie:

behavior -->    [ 1 ]

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |

[-- video  sprite --]

If it is in a behavior attached to the video sprite, maybe you can check the duration in an exitFrame event.

-- pseudo code
          property pDuration
          on beginSprite me
            pDuration = 0
          end

on exitFrame me
            if pDuration = 0 then
              pDuration = sprite(1).member.duration
            end if
          end

--
          Mark A. Boyd
          Keep-On-Learnin' :-)

• 2. Re: Bug with Director 11, Shockwave, and Mac/Windows compatability?
            RobertEdgar Level 1

Mark,

Thanks very much for your reply.

After spending a couple of full weekends analyzing my problem, I believe it

is the result of having too many open video streams.

I can get videos to stream, but their launching is not a consistent thing.

Their launching changes from OS to OS, and from browser to browser.

I am also getting differences depending on which order I play them back.

I'm selecting the video titles for playback from a textlist field.

I determine which video title the user clicked on (so far so good), go to a

frame and play it back using this code or something similar:

on exitFrame me

myDuration = member("C1_hrvatin").duration

myMovietime = sprite(14).movieTime

if myDuration > myMovietime then

go to the frame

else

go to frame 16

end if

end

This code works fine, some of the time.

I'm running the .dcr file from my server, which also contains the video (all

Quicktime) files.

It always runs well when there is only one video to play.

But if there are more than one, it can cause a problem by the third. Note

that I am streaming the videos, and I will launch one, launch another etc.

with the result that usually the third one won't launch.

My understanding is that once launched, the video will continue to download

until it is completely done, even if you go on to another frame.

So: what I believe I need is Lingo code to stop any streaming/downloading

when I leave the frame.

I haven't found it yet. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks very much,

Robert Edgar

• 3. Re: Bug with Director 11, Shockwave, and Mac/Windows compatability?
              Mark A. Boyd Level 4

Interesting. I may not be the best person here since I haven't done SW on the 'net since ... well, I won't bring that up.

Anyway, I have no idea if this will help, but try stopping the video in an endSprite event since you're going to a different frame. You might also want to consider putting the video sprites in different channels if they can go directly to the new frames while viewing an existing video.

on endSprite me

sprite(14).movieRate = 0

end

Or you could drop this version right on the video sprites without hard-coding sprite numbers:

on endSprite me

sprite(me.spriteNum).movieRate = 0

end

And your exitFrame event is checking the member's duration on every frame event. I suggest setting a property variable just once as my previous snippet does.

HTH

--
              Mark A. Boyd
              If you are reading this via email, be aware that it may not be an accurate representation of my message. Login to read the actual message and/or to reply.

• 4. Re: Bug with Director 11, Shockwave, and Mac/Windows compatability?
                RobertEdgar Level 1

Thanks, but no cigar yet. Not to say there's not smoke...

I do have each sprite on a different channel.

I added your endSprite scripts, but no change.

Is it possible that Shockwave is controlling the number of open streams?

This almost seems to be happening.

Whatever I do with the script, it will work with one, perhaps two videos in the same movie.

But if I have say four QT videos in the same movie, trying to open one after another, inevitably only two will open.

But the two that will open can change when I reopen the file, or make any changes to the cast.

I can get all four to work fine if I open them from my local drive, within Director. But if I point them at URLs, only a couple will work.

But there is nothing different about the QT files, all were exported at the same time, same settings.

This problem seems oddly analog-ish. It feels like a bandwidth, or stream setting problem.

But I can't locate it.

Continued thanks for all help.

Robert

• 5. Re: Bug with Director 11, Shockwave, and Mac/Windows compatability?
                  Mark A. Boyd Level 4

Hmm. Not sure how I missed this reply earlier.

You may be on to something, but two seems pretty small. I know that at one time, browsers and sometimes ISPs limited simultaneaous connections to four. I don't even remember where to find that in my browsers - if the setting is still there.

Still doesn't seem quite right, though, so I suppose it is possible that it is SW.

What if you navigate to different .dcrs? (Just thinking that that might shut down the streams more successfully)

--
                  Mark A. Boyd
                  If you are reading this via email, be aware that it may not be an accurate representation of my message. Login to read the actual message and/or to reply.

• 6. Re: Bug with Director 11, Shockwave, and Mac/Windows compatability?
                    RobertEdgar Level 1

Here's something that may help: it seems that the point at which the .dir files decides whether or not to work with the Quicktime file is when I create the cast member. Again, if I drag a local icon (from my computer's local drive) into a cast member spot, it will work. But if, after doing that, I go into the Member properties and change the path to the URL of where I have my file on a server, only about two out of four of them connect. Not always the same two. It lists the duration for those that do not work as 0. However, I have verified (many times now) that the URLs are correct--so it is not that I am giving an incorrect path.

It either is at that moment that it fails, or when I first run the program. This is within the Director file, or even from teh .dcr file, run either locally or after I load it onto the server. If it fails, it doesn't later work, unless I reload it as a new cast member again...then it may work. And another won't.

I haven't found a command to stop a Quicktime download. I can stop a Quicktime video from playing, but it continues to download. Is there such a command? Mark, I guess this is what you're suggesting might happen if I break up my file and try navigating to a different .dcr file to load each video.

I did speak with support at Globat (who manages the server hosting my files), who assurred me that having multiple streams open would not be a problem, and if for some reason it was, I would receive an error message. But I have no error messages, it just doesn't play a video or two.

Thanks to all.

Robert

• 7. Re: Bug with Director 11, Shockwave, and Mac/Windows compatability?
                      RobertEdgar Level 1

I decided that I might be having a problem with Quicktime, something that wasn't visible to me through Director/Lingo.

So I converted a set of 4 Quicktime files to Flash video.

I put them in the same folder as the .dcr file, onthe server.

It worked playing from within Director.

They all worked playing in a browser (Chrome), in Windows XP.

So I tried it from my MacBook Pro, OSX, Intel chip, in Safari.

The browser crashes and closes on contact.

This is the frame script I'm using:

on exitFrame me

go the frame

end

on videoEvent me, vEvent

put vEvent

if vEvent = #end then

go to frame 16

end if 

end

But it's likely the problem isn't in this script. Puzzling.

-r

• 8. Re: Bug with Director 11, Shockwave, and Mac/Windows compatability?
                        RobertEdgar Level 1

I updated Safari, updated its Flash and Shockwave plugins, and it still crashed while attempting to load the .dcr file with Flash external files.

Again, this loads fine in browsers under Windows XP.

Has anyone verified that Director 11 .dcr files can contain external Flash CS3 video cast members that will not crash browsers under OS X (version 10.5.7)?