3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2009 2:26 PM by Ned Murphy

copying items from one .fla to another

lubrican Level 1

i have a really annoying problem

i have one flash file that im working in with alot of library items.

from another flash file i copying a movieclip which contains plenty of other

symbols

when i paste this into my other flash file i get message about that library items with the

same name already exists and get the option to either replace or not replace the existing symbols.

why isnt there a third option to rename symbols that already exist this would save alot of time when

you have different items with the same symbol name when copying from another flash

or is there a way do this easier for me?

• 1. Re: copying items from one .fla to another
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would be nice if there was some automatic method for this, but there isn't.  You could have a mix of symbols with the same name, where some duplicate what's already in a file and some that are unique.  To have something that automatically changes names when conflicts exist could result in unnecessary duplication, which could be another problem to deal with when you have to find the right ones to edit.

The best bet for now is to rename anything ahead of trying to copy them into another file.

• 2. Re: copying items from one .fla to another
            lubrican Level 1

it would have been very nice with a function to rename multiple symbols at the same time

but i asume there is no way to do this too?

thanks in advance

• 3. Re: copying items from one .fla to another
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There isn't within Flash, but I can't say that a routine couldn't be created that might be able to do it.... it's beyond what I know.  There have been times I've seen when people were told they could utilize some form of coding to create their own routines for manipulating things in the Flash editor, like automatically inserting keyframes every other one as an example I recall, but I recall nothing of what that involved... if it was really possible.

What you want would be a nice feature--maybe a third option to the two they currently offer (replace or not).  Flash does have some built-in intelligence for making copies of symbols, which you've probably seen (appends Copy 1, etc) to a copy's name.