15 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2009 10:25 AM by Deaf Mike

exporting to right file for DVD

Deaf Mike Level 1

hi,

i created the following movie in AE:

http://cpso2.gallaudet.edu/media/cpso_2min_withaudio_final.mov

the dimensions of the .mov are
      864 x 486 (HD size).

because the only time i needed to present in was on the web, i exported it as a .mov [what you see at link above] and .flv.

now, i need to put it on a DVD.  by that, i don't mean put the .mov on a CD and then
      play it from the CD.  i need to be able to burn it onto an actual DVD so that when
      it's placed in someone's DVD player at home, it will play.

my question is - what kind of file should i export it to so i can do this?

thanks for any assistance on this.
        • 1. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Output for DVD must be 720x480 pixels with proper anamorphic pixel ratios (1.2 for NTSC widescreen). Nest your square pixel comp into a respective comp and render out. The target format for DVD is always MPEG-2, which you can either directly output from AE or create using otehr tools by converting AVIs and MOVs. If you work in Encore, it will accept eitehr and do al lthe transcodes itself, for most otehr professional DVD-Authoring tools pre-converting to MPEG-2 is mandatory as they cannot do it themselves.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
            Deaf Mike Level 1

hi,

thanks for the quick reply.  so since i edited this project initially at 864 x 486, does this mean i will have to do it all over again for DVD, since you said it has to be in 720 x 486 for NTSC?  or is there a work-around to make my file dimension work?

thanks.

• 3. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
              TimeRemapper Level 4

As Mylenium astutely suggested, you need to nest (drop) your Square Pixel D1 comp (864x486) into an Anamorphic DV comp (720x480   1.2 PAR).

I suggest you use the NTSC DV Widescreen preset when making your new comp.

D1 spec carries 486 lines of resolution while DV carries 480. Different encoders crop D1 material differently, but you shouldn't shrink your material to fit the frame. If you have interlaced material in your project, make sure you've separated your fields (especially if you move it up/down in the DV comp to accommodate a specific crop...i.e. top 4, bottom 2, etc...).

Here's some very good information on Pixel Aspect Ratios.

• 4. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                Deaf Mike Level 1

ok thanks to all for the assistance.  i'll see if i can figure this out.

mike

• 5. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                  Deaf Mike Level 1

hi - this is a follow-up to the info that was posted in reply to my request.

this is a follow-up to my original post.

i selected composition>composition settings and then with the basic tab selected, under the preset, it selected NTSC widescreen.  when i did this, the pixel aspect ratio setting changed to D1/DV NTSC Widescreen (1.2).

then i went ahead and exported it as a quicktime movie, the resulting movie's dimensions are not correct.  i made a snapshot of it and you'll see the CPSO logo, the round icon is no longer round but scrunched together.  please see the attached image.

i also discovered that i can only export to MPEG-4.  I don't think this will work with DVD so is MPG-2 for DVD a free download somewhere?  does the encoder have to be purchased?

please advise.

thanks.

• 6. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                    TimeRemapper Level 4

Two things:

In earlier posts, we mentioned creating a NEW composition, using the NTSC DV Widescreen preset, and nesting your working composition within that new composition. You can nest the working comp in the new comp by dragging it from the Project Window into the timeline of the NEW comp.

Is that what you did? Or did you try to alter the settings of your working comp?

Second thing is, are you viewing that file in Quicktime, or another media viewer? If so, the PAR (pixel aspect ratio) may not be viewed in a "corrected" state. In other words, looking squished horizontally does not mean that the file is incorrect. A DVD player will recognize the PAR once authored as an anamorphic title, and the content will either appear correctly on a widescreen viewing device, or it will be letterboxed on a 4:3 viewing device.

• 7. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                      Deaf Mike Level 1

hi steve,

the info you gave me has been a big help but still seems like i'm doing something wrong.

see the new snapshot attached.  the original widescreen movie that i made is called cpsointro_sequence.  i opened up a new comp and called it NTSC Wide Comp and set it up with those settings that were described earlier.

then, i moved the cpsointro_seq comp to the NTSC Wide comp.  as you can see from the timeline scrub, the circle icon is still squished.

please advise.

thanks!

• 8. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                        TimeRemapper Level 4

Hey Michael.

Currently, the jpeg you posted is in limbo until the boards let it through, but I can venture a guess as to what's going on.

At the bottom of your Comp Viewer window, there's a little button that looks like a rectangle with a double arrow above it.

This is the PAR Correction toggle button. If you enable it, your comp will display a "preview" of what your content will look like when it gets stretched back out for display on a normal monitor.

Try clicking the button and see if it looks as if you'd expect it to.

• 9. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                          Deaf Mike Level 1

hi,

oh ok, i found that.  when i played it back, it looks "normal" now - no more scrunching.  so what that means is, if i took this file - and because its NTSC wide - and i exported it as mpg-2, it would play back and look normal on a DVD on a regular TV screen, right?

also, any idea about the mpg-2 encoder?  i don't have it on my PC.

thanks so much!

• 10. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                            TimeRemapper Level 4

As long as the file is encoded as an anamorphic file, and it is authored to DVD as an anamorphic track, then yes, it will display properly.

There are a kazillion ways to get your file encoded to mpeg2.

One of which (not the best option) is to use AE.

Try doing a google search for mpeg2 encoders. You'll see a myriad of results.

Depending on what you're using to author the DVD, you may be able to encode via your authoring software (once again, as Mylenium indicated earlier!).

• 11. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                              yenaphe Level 4

If you have CS4, you can use the Adobe Media Encoder too. And if you can't find 3rd party mpeg2 app that fits your need (I'm using Tmpeg Xpress encoder with good results for my mpeg2 needs) you can use AE built in mpeg2 encoder.

In the output module, select "Mpeg2/DVD as format, and then click to format Option to select your mpeg2 specs (NTSC, Widescreen....)

• 12. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                                Deaf Mike Level 1

ok thank you.  one more thing...

can you explain what anamorphic means and why this is important.

for the mpg-2, i will do a search.  i use cs3 so it seems like i don't have an export selection for mpg-2.  that's why i was asking about it.

thanks.

• 13. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Deaf Mike wrote:

and because its NTSC wide - and i exported it as mpg-2, it would play back and look normal on a DVD on a regular TV screen, right?

Yes, it should. There's one caveat here, though: You need to set the correct options in two places. Whatever tool you use to encode the MPEG-2, must be explicitly instructed to retain the 16:9 ratio. This will set a stream flag, that tells your DVD-player how to display the signal. If you are moving within the Adobe applications, this should be no problem, as funnily this issomething that Encore does a lot better than even expensive authoring tools, but if you e.g. encode your stuff via ProCoder or otehr tools, you should double-check to not end up with incorrect files.

Mylenium

• 14. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                                    TimeRemapper Level 4
                                    can you explain what anamorphic means and why this is important.

Check out this info, that I found by doing a quick google search...

• 15. Re: exporting to right file for DVD
                                      Deaf Mike Level 1

ok a big help.  thanks again.  kept all of these posts so i have some good BG knowledge on this.

mike