8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 9:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Movie starts to play without staying on main disc menu

M&DPorter

Hi, my husband and I are new to creating movies and so please excuse us as totally green/newbies with the following question. We are using Premiere Elements 7 and have managed to get to the point where we want to "share" the finished product, in this instance to a dvd disc to give to friends.    We have used a mix of stills and movies and have used the "Disc Menus" feature.

However when putting the disc into the dvd player it only shows the Main Menu for a split second and then goes straight into playing the movie and won't sit at the Main Menu to allow us to choose whether we want to "play movie" or go to "scene selection". Probably something obvious we've not done - to do with menu markers perhaps? We just don't know. Any pointers gratefully received. We've tried to use the help section on Adobe but it's hard to put our problem into a few short words! Many thanks, Michele & David in Brisbane, Queensland.

• 1. Re: Movie starts to play without staying on main disc menu
          Paul_LS Level 4

Take a look at this article written by Steve the forum moderator on using DVD menu and markers. Hopefully this should point you in the right direction.

http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/steve/steve_tips_04-06.htm

Also look at the free tutorials and tips over on Muvipix. Steve has written a similar article here:

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=41

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Movie starts to play without staying on main disc menu
            M&DPorter Level 1

Many thanks for your response. There are some good tips but this still hasn't fixed our current problem.  Followed instructions on how to add menu markers then applied Disc Menus:

Added menu markers which automatically named the scene selections etc in the Disc Menus, however when the disc is inserted it plays the movie straight away without going to the Main Menu to let you make your selection of either play movie or choosing scene selections.  Weird. We will keep trying.  No doubt it's something very simple which we are missing.  Thanks again for your reply.

• 3. Re: Movie starts to play without staying on main disc menu
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Home-burned DVDs are physically very different than commercially produced DVDs.  (They write their data chemically to the disc rather than being pressed into the metal.) And not all DVD players can play home-burned discs. In fact, even different brands of discs can perform differently. Memorex, for instance, is one of the most inconsistent brand of discs available. We often recommend using Verbatim instead.

That said, the test is to put the DVD into your computer and see if your computer can play it correctly.

If it can, then you know the problem is with your disc media or your DVD player. If not, then you know it's a software issue. (I'm leaning toward the former, since you say that you do briefly see the DVD menu before it automatically launches the movie.)

• 4. Re: Movie starts to play without staying on main disc menu
                Paul_LS Level 4

Strange, so you have followed the articles in the way you have added the menu markers and applied a DVD template. Did you try the preview for the DVD to see if it plays correctly within Premiere Elements? And then you burnt and it goes straight to the movie when played. Steve hopefully will be along shortly, may be he can help.

• 5. Re: Movie starts to play without staying on main disc menu
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hi, Paul. I must have sensed you thinking about me. I beat your post by 30 seconds!

• 6. Re: Movie starts to play without staying on main disc menu
                    M&DPorter Level 1

Steve many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions on this.  We'll look at it more closely after work tonight (5.30am here in Queensland and we're just getting ready for work).  We are using a combination of Sony and Verbatim discs, I'll double check the one we used for this problem in particular we're having.

Thanks Paul also for your input. We'll get this working eventually as we love using the program.

Kind regards, Michele & David.df

• 7. Re: Movie starts to play without staying on main disc menu
                      M&DPorter Level 1

Steve and Paul....we think we have the solution to this now - which was in the earlier posts you had both made.  We have only just had the time to go through everything 'slowly' and ascertained the disc we made plays fine on the computer (which we hadn't tried previously) and also in another (newer) dvd player. Thanks for your help again, much appreciated. We hope to be able to purchase your book from Amazon Steve as it looks like the exact thing a couple of newbie movie makers could do with!  Kind regards, Michele & David Porter, Queensland Australia.

• 8. Re: Movie starts to play without staying on main disc menu
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news! Glad that your DVD is working properly in some equipment.

As has been mentioned, no DVD player is required to even play a burned DVD, only a commercially replicated and stamped one. Most do perfectly, so long as one uses good media and a slow burn-rate. Some, however, just flat do not. After all, they are not required to do so. I test each client DVD in about five machines from high-end esoterics down to US$99 discount brands. Still, I do not have any guarantee that the client will not have one of those "rogue" players, that just will not play a burned DVD.

In additon to Steve's excellent book, I'd like to recommend taking a tour of Muvipix. The site is many things: a resource facility (most premium content available for purchase, or free via subscription), a "community" of people involved in all levels of editing of music, video and stills, and a repositoty of great articles and tutotials. The "Community" area is a series of fora, and while some of the same folk populate both the Adobe fora and Muvipix's, there are many who only have a presence there.

Good luck,

Hunt