5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 1:32 PM by Kasyan Servetsky RSS

Indesign autosave

eboda_snaf Community Member

I believe there's some autosaving and backup feature in Indesign, where to turn off this option or rather set to a longer time..

My Indesign will get slow at some time interval.

• 1. Re: Indesign autosave
          pkahrel MVP

You can't disable InDesign's autosave or its building up an undo cache. What you can do is save documents using the equivalent of "Save As" in the UI, which deletes the document's undo cache:

myDoc.save (File (myDoc.fullName));

• 2. Re: Indesign autosave
            Harbs. MVP

It's not really an auto-save. You're talking about the undo stack. The 

functionality is integral to InDesign, and you can't turn it off. You 

can clear the undo stack every once in a while by doing a save as to 

get performance to pick up.

• 3. Re: Indesign autosave
              Harbs. MVP

Sorry about repeating your responses.

I have to stop responding to questions while commuting. By the time I reconnect to the internet, I keep finding that someone else answered before me...

• 4. Re: Indesign autosave

It seems to me that Adobe have got the autosave featured sorted out, but what concerns me is what happens when a disk goes down and you lose the original and the autosave (Recovered) file on the same disk? This one thing Quark seems to have over Indesign in that you can specify where you want your backup to be i.e.on another disk entirely. Is this possible in ID?

• 5. Re: Indesign autosave
                  Kasyan Servetsky Community Member

Go to Preferences > File Handling > Document Recovery Data choose Browse and select another folder on another disk.

P.S. I'm not sure if you will be able to restore these data, in case your disk goes down together with installed copy of InDesign.