32 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2010 8:00 PM by John T Smith

Flip video camcorder not importing?

LaylaMayella

When I tried to import files from my flip video camcorder (old one) into premiere pro, it worked out fine

Now, with my flip mino hd camera, the files won't import.

Anyone know how I can solve the problem. If I have to convert the file, which FREE software can I use that compresses the video without losing much quality,

NOTE: I don't want to convert the file. If anyone knows how to import it please tell me.

• 1. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

This is a consumer camera/toy. It may be easier to edit that with a consumer application like WMM or Magix or use the supplied software. Otherwise convert the MP4 format to something editable before importing. Google for converters and you will likely find some freeware. Why are you using a $ 1000 software package to edit the material from your toy? You would have been better off with buying a decent camera, Premiere Elements  and some filters, a basic tripod and keeping the rest of your money in your pocket. That would have been far easier and a better workflow.

• 2. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Though you wish to do the Import to work in PrPro, you might want to look at the Adobe Premiere Elements forum, especially the FAQ section. Be advised that the FAQ's for many of the Adobe fora are in horrible disarray right now. The MOD's are working hard to restore them, but it's taking time, after the forum changeover. Working with the files from the Flip cameras is/was covered pretty well.

The FAQ section of the "Community" (basically their fora) section is pretty good, and probably more complete than the Adobe ones, over on Muvipix. You do not need to subscribe, or even register, to read the Community posts and the FAQ's. These FAQ's are a distillation of the old Adobe Premiere Elements FAQ's from before the changeover.

Good luck. These files have been highly problematic, but with the proper conversions, etc., have been editable in PE. Most of the info in these FAQ's will pertain to doing the same in PrPro, though some interpolation might be necessary.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
              AirGecko

Thank you for telling us to go away and not buy P Pro.

That was helpfull.

• 4. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

If such comments steer you towards software that gets the job done, then it kind of was helpful.

You also have to consider the corollary to that advice - get a more professional camera to use with this professional editor.

Either solution will work quite nicely.

• 5. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                  joshtownsend Level 2

AirGecko wrote:

Thank you for telling us to go away and not buy P Pro.

That was helpfull.

Might be doing you a huge favor. If your buying Premiere to edit flip footage then your wasting your money and our time.  If premiere won't do the job then move to other software....I mean go away.

• 6. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

While possibly not worded the way that I would have done, it does point up a problem with the files generated by these cameras. Even Premiere Elements (much, much more lenient on file formats, etc., than is PrPro) has issues with these. I believe that I linked to both the PE forum and to another site: Muvipix, where I know that many discussions on the Flip file formats. IIRC, there have been some guidelines established along with workflows for these files. While they do present some problems, I think that one can find ways to accommodate them, while losing little but some conversion time.

I would also think that the workflow suggestions could easily translate to PrPro, as well. Personally, though I have others, I use PrPro for 99% of my NLE work. I may have to use PE, or another, to get the files in the proper working format, but I still edit in PrPro.

If I did not provide (up-thread) the links to the other Adobe forum, or to Muvipix, please point this out and I'll correct that.

Goos luck,

Hunt

PS I shot my first aerial job out of the hopper (front seat in many) of a Stearman 450 - a bright yellow one, flown out of a friend's backyard. Man there were a lot of wires to shoot around! Cousin had a fleet of Ag-Cats for years.

[Edit] I see that I did post the links on May 18.

• 7. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                      LaylaMayella Level 1

I have access to premiere pro at a workplace. No I didn't buy it. Please post if you have an actual SOLUTION, rather than snapping at me and telling me to get a better camcorder.

• 8. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Please check the links that I posted in the reply just above where this one appears. There are solutions to using Flip cameras. I just do not remember what they are. A Search in the PE forum (not so easy, since the forum changeover, but doable) will yield several discussions. Same for Muvipix. All solutions should appear in those threads.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Please post if you have an actual SOLUTION

Buying a more professional camera to pair with this professional editor IS the best solution.  And I guarantee it'll work.

• 10. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                            betchaboy

I agree with Layla...  these answers, while possibly accurate, and hardly helpful.  Having someone say that they have a particular camera and are looking for a way to get Premiere to read the files it creates, one would assume that they are looking to make THAT combination work.  It's pointless telling them to just buy a new camera, even if that WOULD solve the problem.  That's like having someone ask for the best way to cook noodles and being told, "just go out to a restaurant".

I came to this forum looking for an answer to the same question...  I have PremPro, and I have a Flip, and I'd like to edit the Flip footage. I have a lot of footage from a recent trip, where the Flip was easy and convenient to carry around with me at all times.  If I had a "real" camera I woud have taken very little footage as carrying a bigger camera was not convenient.  Contrary to seeing the Flip as nothing but a Toy, I actually like it because it's so portable.  I can shoot footage at the beach, while skiing, in the car...  lots of places where I'd not bother carrying a "real" camera.  I don't need to hear some poncy answer like "that's just a toy, buy a real camera"... if I wanted a different camera i would have bought one.

What I don't get is this... PremPro is a professional editor, so why can't it read all formats? Surely this is just a matter of a codec being installed? The flip - whatever your personal thoughts may be about it's quality - shoots video, and one would assume that with the proper codecs that video footage should be able to be decoded and worked with.  If there is a technical reason why PremPro cannot read these files, then that's one thing, but to  just disnmiss it and not support that file format because the camera is percieved a "toy" is just elitist nonsense.  The software should support the needs of the users, not force the users to buy new equipment to use it. Duh!

In education, a market that Adobe is trying desperately hard to stay relevant in, there is a huge move towards Flip cameras for all of these reasons of ease of use, portability, cost, etc.  It seems stupid to me that there is this "high horse" attitude to a problem that clearly needs solving, and to which there is no real technical reason why it can't be solved.

Please Adobe, can we have a codec that works?  You have them for just about every other format...

• 11. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

That's like having someone ask for the best way to cook noodles and being told, "just go out to a restaurant".

Actually, it's more akin to telling someone with a Formula 1 car to stop filling their tank with 87 octane from Habib's corner gas station.  If you want to use professional equipment, you need to feed it professional resources.  For an F1 car, that means special fuel mixtures.  For NLEs, it means a more professional camera.

PremPro is a professional editor, so why can't it read all formats?

For the same reasons a lot of professional video equipment can only take a BNC connector, or why some professional audio equipment can only take an XLR.  Because they're made for professionals who only use professioanl sources (or at least who know what to do to make other resources work).

Surely this is just a matter of a codec being installed?

I'm not a programmer, but I'm inclined to belive that if it were truly that easy, all NLEs would handle all formats.  Since they clearly don't, there is very likely something more to it than just a "matter of a codec being installed".

I don't need to hear some poncy answer like "that's just a toy, buy a real camera"... if I wanted a different camera i would have bought one.

The flip side to that viewpoint is "If you want to use such a consumer camera, pair it with a consumer editor".

If there is a technical reason why PremPro cannot read these files, then that's one thing, but to  just disnmiss it and not support that file format because the camera is percieved a "toy" is just elitist nonsense.

There are technical reasons why not all formats work.  The dismissal of any user's preferred camera format, while it may be expressed here in these forums, actually occurs within Adobe.  They're the ones who decide which formats their software will support, not us users.

The software should support the needs of the users, not force the users to buy new equipment to use it.

That's just a nonsensical viewpoint.  You'd never be able to run Windows 7 on a P1 with 128MB of memory, and there's no sense wining to Microsoft about the fact that you have to upgrade your hardware to run the newer OS.  It's just a fact of life that some software requires certain hardware to work well. (Or even work at all.  Premiere versions 2.0 and up require a CPU with the SSE2 instruction set.  A lot of AMD users had to upgrade just to be able to install 2.0.)

• 12. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the Adobe forum.

Now, to address some of your questions and issues:

I came to this forum looking for an answer to the same question...  I have PremPro, and I have a Flip, and I'd like to edit the Flip footage.

This is a fairly popular camera. However, it presents some issues for PrPro. It presents some of the same issues to the consumer-oriented PrElements. These problems stem from the format and CODEC's that it uses. That is why I posted links to discussions on using the Flip cameras, and even to another Web site, where more people used this camera and also edited in one form of Premiere, or another. Did you follow any of those links? Did you not find any useful info there. Did you post to Muvipix and not get help?

What I don't get is this... PremPro is a professional editor, so why can't it read all formats? Surely this is just a matter of a codec being installed?

Yes, it is a CODEC problem. Having the proper CODEC installed is one thing to play the files. It is totally different for an NLE, as it must do far more than just play - it must also edit the material. In very general terms the Flip produces footage that is not intended to be edited. It is designed for playback. This was obviously done by the manufacturers, as they anticipated that their target market would do this far more often and wanted the best format and CODEC to allow for the best quality for this purpose. It was actually the mfgr,, who chose a hard to edit format and CODEC, based on their perception of their market. Adobe had nothing to do with it.

PrPro also has a target market - the professional and pro-sumer editor. They fill this need pretty well. They too had choices to make, and went for a DV-AVI Type II file with the DVD-spec. 48KHz 16-bit Audio. This satisfied their target market very well. With the proliferation of HD and newer pro and pro-sumer formats, they are scramblng to fill in those needs. Their efforts, their personnel and their money is being poured in to do just that. Something has to give. In this case, it's consumer cameras, that do not record to miniDV tape. This is unfortunate, if one shoots with such a camera, however high the quality of the output might be.

The basic answer is to convert, via 3rd party software, the output file formats/CODEC's to something that PrPro (or PE) does handle. Yes, that's another step, but a necessary one.

In education, a market that Adobe is trying desperately hard to stay relevant in, there is a huge move towards Flip cameras for all of these reasons of ease of use, portability, cost, etc.  It seems stupid to me that there is this "high horse" attitude to a problem that clearly needs solving, and to which there is no real technical reason why it can't be solved.

Considering that no one on this user-to-user forum sits in on the marketing meetings at Adobe, no one can address this issue directly. Even if an Adobe employee were to be viewing, it is highly unlikely that they would be in these meetings. It is certainly possible that if this segment of the market is deemed to be large enough to invest the time, talent and the money to, it will happen. However, it's much more likely to appear in PE first, if at all. In this world, everything costs something. One has to define where that investment is going to be directed. It's simple economics.

Please Adobe, can we have a codec that works?  You have them for just about every other format...

The problem with this is that Adobe does not write CODEC's. Other companines do. Adobe licenses these CODEC's and pays a royalty for each one included. There are many more CODEC's available that are not in any Adobe product, and will never be. Again, one has to consider the economics of first buying/licensing the other CODEC's, and then recoding PrPro to use these to edit. If Adobe's surveys of their target markets show that this is something that needs to be done, then they will work on it, as soon as that proposed budget makes it past the board, the CFO, or whomever is responsible for approving budgets.

Remember that all of the other CODEC's, besides the MainConcept CODEC's, are either on your system via the OS, by being added by the user, or from being installed by another program.

If you have not followed my provided links up-thread, I strongly suggest that you do. While there is no "quick-fix," and the fixes will not come directly through Adobe, there are workarounds and workflow modification. It can be done.

Good luck, and please report what works for you. Others will benefit from your successes in the future.

Hunt

[Edit] The FAQ's are starting to come back up. Please see this LINK in the PE forum FAQ. In case you missed the rec. for Muvipix, please use this LINK. There fora are their "Community." The posting/reading is free. With a free sign-up, you also get some functional content and some of the training materials. For a subscription, you get ALL functional content and all training articles and tutorials.

• 13. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                                  Bando1ero

Hello Layla,

Just in case it helps, here is my story.

I am NOT a video professional. I am a software developer and have been for 25 years. I have used Premiere Pro for the last 4 years and when I got my Flip about a year ago I had a hard time making it work with PP7. The 3ivx codec is a killer.

For PP7 I had to convert the files from 3ivx to DV using Super from eRightSoft (free). That worked fine but it used a lot of disk space. and some of the quality was lost in translation.

I have recently upgraded to Vista 64bit professional (core i7, RAID 1.5TB, 12GB ram, dual 24" DV) and Adobe Production Premium CS4. For the "professionals" reading this, Yes I know, its a lot of gear just to edit Flip videos. But I use it to create real world multinational applications using real languages (no MS BS). I'm even writing stuff in Adobe Script to automate Photoshop clean ups and After Effects stuff. So I do understand your point of view... I hate it when someone asks how to create a table in a SQL developers forum.

Anywho, back to Layla. Being that we are both pro-sumers using a fun toy with expensive software in expensive hardware, maybe we can help each other.

So far I have the original Flip working fine in CS4. No translation necesary and I did that by installing only the 3ivx codec from the Flip not the cheap editor. And then tweaking the codec MERIT so that PP can use it directly. Divx was the culprit in my setup. Gspot can help you with that.

I am planning on buying a Flip UltraHD this week. I believe they use the same codec so we will see.

Let me know if you need help setting the codec MERIT.

• 14. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                                    jcpe

Thanks for the help. I had no problem using the Flip Mino HD footage after I installed the flipshare program that comes bundled with it. Before that though ~ the codec was not installed and did not playback properly.

Also, sorry Layla that these forums weren't that helpful early on in the conversation.

Personally, I have a few professional cameras as well as a Flip. There are purposes for everything, and I think Adobe knows that. It's important that most consumer and professional products be usable without having to go through painful encoding processes that eat up time.

Anyways, after reading the forum I thought I would encounter more problems using the Flip, but it's been pretty easy thus far.

• 15. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                                      watkino Level 1

Presumptions aside about the newer Flip HD cam, the fact is, this camera - though designed for the consumer - HAS become popular among documentarians.  I can name (3) nationally distributed independent documenatry films that have incorporated the OUTSTANDING video quality (for the price) of the Flip H.264 HD cam.

I used it extensively for a recent film project.  Why?  It is the ABSOLUTE BEST way to discretely document events and situations a professional cam simply can't be used for without causing interview subjects to clam up.

SO - the Flip IS being used for professional applications and questions about it's use with PPro are legitimate and should be addressed.

edited for gratuitous general personal comments

• 16. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For all of those following along at home, here is a solution to editing Flip Camera footage in the PE FAQ's. It has been posted before, but no one seems to want to get beyond ranting that Adobe is not supporting their choice of cameras. If these steps do not work, please report, and I will see that Steve Grisetti makes changes to his FAQ in the PE forum.

I'm not suggesting that one use PE, instead of PrPro, only to try the suggestions from the PE forum. Even PE has some issues with such footage. It should make no difference where the suggestions come from, only whether they work in PrPro.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                                          popes.hat

Thanks for the note on coding. I am an educator and we use PrPro because it was donated to us. We use HD cameras as well as Flip cameras. While we have 5 HD Handycams, we have 15 Flip cameras. Getting the video to import simply and efficiently is paramount to our success.

I have no experience with coding, but I'm fairly savy and I might be interested in your process. Can you explain how this works? Thanks

• 18. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Popes.hat,

I just want to make sure that you have not misunderstood the earlier post.

In the case that Bando1ero was referring to, he/she had installed a CODEC from the Flip camera's disc.

So far I have the original Flip working fine in CS4. No translation necesary and I did that by installing only the 3ivx codec from the Flip not the cheap editor. And then tweaking the codec MERIT so that PP can use it directly. Divx was the culprit in my setup. Gspot can help you with that.

I am planning on buying a Flip UltraHD this week. I believe they use the same codec so we will see.

He/she also pointed out that this CODEC did not come from the included editor. There was also some sort of a conflict with the DivX CODEC on the particular computer, and the "Priority" of the 3ivx CODEC had to be changed.

I do not know if Bando1ero found that the HD version of the Flip used the same CODEC, as the original version.

Now, these CODEC's are usually .dll files that are encoders/decoders, and are installed on the system. They allow one to encode into their particular file form on Export, and also provide the method to play an encoded file - and possibly edit that file. PrPro ships with, and installs most nornally necessary CODEC's, but with some files, more will be required. I strongly recommend installing ONLY the ones that are needed and NOT installing any form of CODEC "pack." Many of these will bring a computer to its knees.

There are several companies that have the 3ivx CODEC. If this is still the correct one for the Flip HD, I'd suggest finding the company that wrote that CODEC and downloading, or buying it from them - not some 3rd party, regardless of price.

Now, I am mentioning this, as you used the word "coding," and I do not want you to be confused. If you already knew all that I wrote, please just ignore it. I do not mean to be condescending in any way - only helpful.

Good luck with the Flip HD cameras. They do seem to be popular.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                                              Cartermay Level 1

Hi Layla,

Was this question ever really answered for you? I don't know if flip has changed or not (since you first asked the question), but I have found that I can simply right-click the SAVED video within the flip software, then choose "Export to..." and it will save a full copy of the video in mpeg-4 movie format wherever you chose to export it. From there you can open it in Premiere Pro easily.

My question is about the format/aspect ratio of the flip video files in Premiere Pro. There is a bajillion choices and I haven't found the correct one yet...

Hope this helps you,

Carter Maysilles

• 21. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                                                Cartermay Level 1

Awesome, Ann - thank you!

• 22. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?  Why the harsh comments?
                                                  DVDmike Level 1

I don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes I do not have a choice of what format the footage comes in.  I purchased PPro because it should be able to import a multitude of file formats and edit them.  To just discard flip altogether because it is a consumer camera is pretty harsh.  As the professional, hobbyists often come to me for help editing their video.  And I do not want to have 10 different software packages to edit video if I can help it.  So I would hope that I I made the same original post asking for help that I would not get attacked for using a consumer camera with such a professional editing suite.

I have had clients give me their Flip HD video footage, and under some circumstances, it looks excellent and imports edits fine in CS5.  If I had any experience with the flip mino hd I would try to help the poster.  But I do not, so I really cannot offer much help here.  But this topic does interest me because I may have to acquire footage from one at some point down the road.

We live and work in the real world where one video source does not fit everyone.  People are recording cell phone video and its popping up on the national news.  Are networks supposed to tell these people that they can't take this video because it was shot from a toy and not a huge and professional video camera?  If it were someone from CNN or NBC asking for help on how to best acquire footage from somebody's cell phone into PPRO, would we tell them to get a better camera?

• 23. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?  Why the harsh comments?
                                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> If it were someone from CNN or NBC asking for help on how to best acquire footage from somebody's cell phone into PPRO, would we tell them to get a better camera?

We'd ask them to submit a feature request to articulate what changes they want us to mae in our software and why. And that feature request would be considered alongside the ones made by other users.

Does Karl's article help?

• 24. Re:  Why the harsh comments?  Submit a feature request?
                                                      DVDmike Level 1

Todd, the original post was asking for help.  It was not blasting/blaming Adobe for the issue that they were having.  They asked for alternatives for importing their footage.  The original post did not blame the software for anything.  I think that the original poster was simply asking for alternatives. In my opinion, I believe that some of the original responses were rude and uncalled for.  This was my biggest point that I was trying to make.  The user to user forums work best when people who want to and can help do just that and refrain from ultra-critical treatment. 

I do realize my hypocrisy of complaining about posters comments being critical in itself.  But when forums are not fully moderated, people like myself will try to step in to criticize the criticizers.

If I am understanding the Adobe employee correctly, anyone who wants to ask a question on this forum about how to work through an issue that they have would be better served by first putting through a feature request?  While I think that its great that Adobe wants to reach out to its customers for future enhancement requests, this is not an appropriate response until work-around's / solutions are exhausted and it is determined that the software needs a new feature.  In my example and the first post, this was not known.  Todd, perhaps I did not explain the premise of my post well enough.  I was using a hypothetical example about CNN making the same first post as the original poster was doing to demonstrate that suggesting solutions such as to use a different camera / editing platform because it is not professional enough / too professional are not a well thought out or helpful answers.  I also wanted to point out that people cannot simply discount the use of a professional product such as PPRo with consumer sources, as this is being used every day in the real world by undoubtedly professional organizations.  If you understood all of this, then what I am hearing is that a better thought out response would be to tell these posters to put in a feature request to be judged on its own merit?  (Presumably, the original poster did not even know if it was it was simply a format change with the newer flip mino hd.)

I am hoping that you simply misunderstood what I was trying to get across in my post, because posting new feature request every time I need to find a work-around or solution will not help me much. 

• 25. Re:  Why the harsh comments?  Submit a feature request?
                                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

My point wasn't that people shouldn't ask for help here. My point was that in addition to asking for help/workarounds here, folks should also make direct requests for how they want things to work differently or better. It's not either/or; it's both. If something's not working or you, you have a direct line to the Premiere Pro product team to ask for changes. And your direct line isn't any different than CNN's.

> posting new feature request every time I need to find a work-around or solution will not help me much.

Of my ~2,700 posts on this forum, only a few hundred include links to the feature-request form. Most are answers that provide workarounds and explanations. It seems that the workarounds and explanations are pretty well taken care of on this thread, so I just addressed the question that seemed unaddressed.

• 26. Re:  Why the harsh comments?  Submit a feature request?
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

DVDMike,

Actually, I thought that the user community tried very hard to accommodate the OP, and to several others, who tacked onto the thread.

There will often be some posters, who feel strongly that certain cameras are better suited for providing source material for PrPro. They are correct, in that footage from those cameras will present fewer problems. However, and as you mention, a PrPro user might not have such capabilities, especially if they are doing post-production work for others. In those cases, different workflows might need to be adopted, and these might involve either conversion, or the use of other tools. That is just the way that life in the video editing world is. Most of us attempt to help the posters here, get the best that they can get, regardless of what camera was used. However, and depending on the camera used, the process might not be a straight forward, as the poster might like.

Now some feel that they should not have to deviate from their desired workflow, regardless of what source footage they have. They feel that it is incumbent on Adobe to just handle everything, and as soon as it is released. Well, considering the development schedule for a program, like Adobe PrPro CS5, there is no way that every conceivable CODEC and footage can be covered. Some comes about well into the development stage.  Also, one must consider that expanded development costs big $, so Adobe needs to try and determine where their funds will yield the greatest ROI - they have to limit themselves to the perceived market. They did that with the RED camera, pouring a lot of money into handling that footage, as they decided that it would be very popular.

When it gets down to more consumer-oriented cameras, Adobe does a very good, albeit not 100% perfect job, with their PrElements program. It is an amazingly powerful, inexpensive video editing and authoring program, and has greater support for consumer formats and CODEC's. It had AVCHD support before PrPro did. It had VOB editing, before PrPro did. It has just added a Flip camera (though probably for the latest versions only) Preset.

For issues, or questions, I strongly feel that the best first course of action is to post to the forum, offering as much info, as is possible. We're really pretty good around here, and try very, very hard. I suggest this long before a call to Adobe T/S. I think that we are still better here. About the only things that need to go directly to Adobe are installation, licensing and then some fairly esoteric network issues.

Where Todd is coming from is that when one has a desire, whether they have gotten a workaround, or not, the way to get that in front of Adobe is to file the Feature Request. I do that all the time. When I feel a compelling need for something, I will usually check here, to make sure that I am just not missing something already in the program, and if it's not there (just hiding from me), I will file the Request, providing as much info, as I can. Most of mine have not found their way into the program, but I am certain that is because there have been few, if any other, requests, so the priority for Adobe will be lower - or, it would cost far too much to implement - or, it would break something else with its implementation. My feelings are not hurt. A few items have been incorporated into later versions, and I feel this is because enough users also wanted it, and it was doable.

One should come here with their problems and if they get an answer, fine. If they get a workaround, and they think they have a better idea of how things should work, Adobe wants to hear from them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 27. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?
                                                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LaylaMayella wrote: Please post if you have an actual SOLUTION

The solution was posted (twice)... a link to an article that said that CS4 (so I presume CS5 as well) will natively edit Flip video by using a specific preset for a different camera that uses the same codec

Did that solution work for you?

• 28. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?  Why the harsh comments?
                                                              betchaboy Level 1

Just like DVDMike, I also don't think much of the unhelpful, pissy responses that others have made in this forum.  I've already contributed to this thread above, and I also asked a similar question in a different thread previously, also getting a similar unhelpful, pissy response.

After not being able to even import footage with my original (lo-def) Flip, I asked in another thread if it was possible.  Rather than just a simple, "no, it's not supported", I got this diatribe and how PremPro, being such a professional product, would not lower itself to support something as mundane as as Flip Camera.  It's not the answer that's a problem, it's the snotty attitude that some on this forum take on when they feel that "their" product is getting used in ways that they think is too tacky or unprofessional.

Recently I won a Flip HD, so I thought I'd try it again with PremPro.... after all, it's still a Flip, but at least it's HD, and HD is a standard, and PremPro edits HD, right?  Well, at least the HD MP4 clips that the Flip takes can be edited in PremPro now, although the have a lot of trouble actually scrubbing on the timeline.  They won't play at all, they just stutter and freeze, but if you persevere and edit them anyway - editing in the dark, so to speak - they do in fact render out to a finished product.  You just can't preview anything to know what you're doing.

Looking at tutorials online I see others using the same Flip footage with Premiere Pro as I, with no trouble at all.  For me though, it still doesn't really work well.

I asked the question on the forum as to why this might be happening, and was met with the same pissy, snot-nosed attitude of "your camera's not good enough" answers.  When I said that I CAN edit the video but it stutters and burps along the timeline, I was then told my computer wasn't good enough.  Of course... should have seen THAT comment coming. I should have known that somehow it would be the equipment I own that would be the problem.  I have a 2.66Ghz Core2Duo iMac with 3GB of RAM... not a dedicated video editing machine, but a higher end consumer machine and well within the published spec required to run PremPro, however it still doesn't work very well.

I can edit the video just fine on the same machine using iMovie (I know, how unprofessional of me!)  I can also edit the Flip footage with no trouble using Final Cut Pro.  It's just Premiere Pro that has trouble.  Since I can edit the footage I need, with the camera I own, using other tools I have, I've basically given up on Premiere Pro.  Screw it.

Funnily enough, I recently got my hands on a "real" camera, a Sony HD Cam.  It's a "proper" HD camera, so I thought I'd give Premiere another shot at it.  I get exactly the same result as using the Flip footage... it stutters and won't preview clips, won't scrub, (but does still edit if you can persevere with not being able to see what you're doing).  Not sure what the answer is.  I'm sure someone will tell me I don't have a good enough computer.  Perhaps I should tell iMovie that... as "unprofessional" as it might be, it can use import and use footage from the camera just fine.

I'm completely over Premiere Pro.  I really want to use it, I want to like it.  But having a product that is just SO "professional" that nothing I own is good enough for it, the camera, the computer, etc, just pisses me off.  It pisses me off because the computer I have is not a tatty old Pentium that's 12 years old.  It's a relatively new Mac that does everything else I ask of it just fine.

But mostly I'm pissed off at the holier-than-thou attitude that prevails here on these forums.

• 29. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?  Why the harsh comments?
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The best way to handle responses that are not helpful and exhibit some bias, or attitude is to just ignore them, and to work with those who are attempting to help you. There will always be a few, who would rather espouse their personal beliefs, than help others. Being a public forum, you will encounter that - just not as much here, as in some others. Still, let the comments go, and work with the people trying to help.

Sorry that others have gotten the footage from the same version of Flip to work in PrPro, and that you have not, but there might be something helpful in that. It could be that they have a CODEC, that you do not. It could be that you have that CODEC, but it is corrupt, or improperly installed. It could be some deficiency in the computer, due to hardware, other software, or perhaps just a setting. It could be something as simple as a mismatch between the source footage, and one's Sequence Preset.

I think that if you will focus on the vast majority of the subscribers here, you will see that they do want to help. Concentrate on them, and help them to help you, while ignoring the very few others.

Good luck with editing the Flip footage.

Hunt

• 31. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?  Why the harsh comments?
                                                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Any flavor of H.264 requires a lot of CPU horsepower to decode the video in real time.  A dual-core anything will be severely tested by such footage.  So the Flip HD, and the Sony HD (NX5U maybe?) are likely using some flavor of MPEG4/AVCHD/H.264.  The reason iMovie can edit that footage is that Apple converts all footage to the Apple Intermediate Codec, which doesn't require much CPU processing power to decode at all.

-Jeff

• 32. Re: Flip video camcorder not importing?  Why the harsh comments?
                                                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So my wife can have something to use and I don't have to worry about her breaking my Canon Vixia, I read a lot of reviews and today went out and bought a Flip UltraHD - see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/727278?tstart=0

Using the XDCAM EX 720p 30p preset that I saw mentioned in a link upstream, the mp4 files play perfectly on my i7 930 computer... which is plenty of power to edit the files

I only have a few test files right now... but will have more once my wife get's her hands on the camera... so will find out in a few days how more data on the timeline does