6 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2009 3:24 PM by mosaiqq

GPU support

mosaiqq

I have searched the web for some time, and I can't seem to find instructions on how to enable GPU support for Air applications written in FLEX.

There is some mention of the "wmode" variable, but it is not clear to me.

Has anyone succeeded in enabling GPU support?

How can you see if the GPU is enabled or disabled?

I am running this system on a Windows XP machine, with a graphics card that supports Aeon Glass (the technology used by Windows Vista), so from a hardware perspective I should be fine.

• 1. Re: GPU support
          Michael Borbor Level 4

I think that if you're targetting an AIR app that was built by Flex, you'll

have GPU graphics acceleration, I'm kinda sure about this. This is a feature

that you can't turn on or off If I'm not wrong.

• 2. Re: GPU support
            mosaiqq Level 1

You may be right, but I saw some uncertainties based on this article. it explains how GPU support is disabled as default and must be manually enabled. The main reason being that GPU support will only give you extra performance in some cases, where in others it will slow down the app. (if you e.g. are running the app on hardware with a GPU that is not supported). Another side-effect of GPU support is that images and text are no longer as sharp as in non GPU mode. Those two reasons I believe is the reason that GPU is by default not enabled.

I have also read other places that GPU support is only possible in full screen. Overall, I find this subject poorly covered and that puzzles me a bit, as why would you not want to get the maximum performance out of your application?

• 3. Re: GPU support
              Michael Borbor Level 4

That's an old article, probably I look for soMething more up to date.

Sincerely,

Michael

El 18/05/2009, a las 16:11, mosaiqq <forums@adobe.com> escribió:

>

You may be right, but I saw some uncertainties based on this http://www.kaourantin.net/2008/05/what-does-gpu-acceleration-mean.htmlit

explains how GPU support is disabled as default and must be 

manually enabled. The main reason being that GPU support will only 

give you extra performance in some cases, where in others it will 

slow down the app. (if you e.g. are running the app on hardware with 

a GPU that is not supported). Another side-effect of GPU support is 

that images and text are no longer as sharp as in non GPU mode. 

Those two reasons I believe is the reason that GPU is by default not 

enabled.

>

I have also read other places that GPU support is only possible in 

full screen. Overall, I find this subject poorly covered and that 

puzzles me a bit, as why would you not want to get the maximum 

performance out of your application?

>

• 4. Re: GPU support
                mosaiqq Level 1

Well, that is the strangest thing - I have looked a great deal, and found remarkably little written on the subject. The only solid piece of information is this very very old article discussing a beta version of flash 10.

However since the article raises a lot of relevant issues, I was wondering what happened with those issues and how to deal with them using todays released version of Adobe Air.

• 5. Re: GPU support
                  Jeff Swartz Level 3

GPU support is not available in Adobe AIR. The documentation discusses this here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ActionScript/3.0_ProgrammingAS3_Flex/WS2E9C7F3B-6A7C-4c5d-8ADD -5B23446FBEEB.html

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: GPU support
                    mosaiqq Level 1

Thanks a lot for that information. VERY helpful indeed!!

Is there a way to add some test code to a flash 10 application, that will show if GPU support is working? Maybe what would make sense is some kind of benchmark tool that you can run on two different versions of the same flash file, one compiled with GPU support and compiled without?