35 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 1:46 PM by Ansury

Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4

Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I've seen a ton of blogs discussing Adobe's decision to rename Flex Builder to "Flash Builder" for version 4.0, and wanted to see what you all think.

Personally I agree with many of the blog comments that it is a bad move.

Flex apps are not Flash apps (thankfully), they just happen to run in the same runtime (Flash Player). AIR apps are not Flash apps as well.

I still think Flex will succeed, but are you all looking forward to working in Flash Builder 4?

I for one hope Flex continues to succeed despite this move.

• 1. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
          BennyBeta Level 4

I would rather it stay Flex Builder.

(And I wish they'd release a Linux version.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
            Muzak Level 3

When looking at the "bigger picture" (Flash Platform) I think it makes perfect sense.

For those wondering what's going on:

http://www.webkitchen.be/2009/05/16/next-version-of-flex-builder-will-be-named-flash-build er-4/

http://theflashblog.com/?p=998

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
              cog_jonathan

A rose by any other name..

• 4. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                Barna Biro Level 3

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with "a bigger picture". It's just a cheap marketing strategy. I don't really care what's it called until they keep Flex in there and don't start messing around with it ( in a bad way ). If they do go crazy and decide ( one day ) to turn Flex up-side-down then I'm sure that they'll loose a large piece of the existing community.

All these changes are wrapped in a nice box, called: "the bigger picture", but in reality, they are only creating more confusion. Instead of focusing on marketing ( which obviously is an important aspect too, but still, I feel that they really aren't planning these releases seriously ) and stuff that does not matter to the people that are making money with the help of the technologies provided by Adobe and at the same time, they bring money to Adobe by buying licenses and making free publicity quite often, they should work on the debugger and the stuff that would finally get us a mature IDE for development ( just compare Visual Studio with Flex Builder -- in this pace, when do you think that Adobe will be able to get an IDE as efficient and mature as Visual Studio? ). If they don't see this ( or can't understand that there's a huge need for a more efficient and mature IDE ) and they'll continue to put more effort into the marketing aspect instead of actually focusing on the needs of developers, then they'll loose a lot on the long run.

I am really curious to see how the new builder behaves ( and I definitely hope that when they said: we'll make the compiler more efficient, fix bugs and stuff like that, they really meant it; because if the new builder version will just be a "shiny dress on the same old body" with 2-3 minor fixes here and there, then I'll be very disappointed ).

Just my 5 cents.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the guys at Adobe aren't putting effort into the IDE but I feel that the marketing aspects are more important than actually making the IDE work the way it should. Too many releases, too many name changes, too many non-sense that wouldn't even matter if they'd make some serious steps with the IDE and get it to a more decent level ( I don't even want to mention that tools to draw UML diagrams for AS/Flex/AIR applications are almost nonexistent and the ones that do exists are of a really poor quality ).

• 5. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                  Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I'll give the credit for the "answer" if for no other reason that you speak to the issue many of us feel at the core. Flex has been gaining momentum, it is currently stronger than Silverlight, so why mess with that? If it isn't broken, don't fix it (I hate the word "aint").

We'll see how this plays out over the next few months.

• 6. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                    matt_chotin Level 3

I think that Josh's post on this nicely reflects my own opinions.

http://joshblog.net/2009/05/16/adobe-announces-flex-builder-name-changed-to-flash-builder/

@Barna very little engineering time is being wasted on name changes, marketing is capable of thinking about this while engineering is working on the product.

Matt

• 7. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                      Michael Borbor Level 4

It's just the tool that is being renamed, you're gonna still develop using the Flex SDK, you can still call yourself a Flex developer.

At first when I knew about this, I made such a big deal, but then hearing what other people think , seems to be in the right path.

Many people think that Flex is good, because it sets apart from Flash, because Flash isn't trusted  on the enterprise, but that has changed Flash Player is mature enough to be considered an enterprise platform, and it's our job as developers, as people that uses this technology to set things right, and make the Flash Platform/AIR grow bigger and bigger.

• 8. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                        Barna Biro Level 3

By "stronger than Silverlight" did you mean "more used"? Because, yes, it's more used. But beside that, I don't really think it's stronger ( from an architectural point of view and also performance and so on ). Yes, Flex has some features that are working a bit better than the same thing in Silverlight ( and even a few things that the guys at MS didn't yet bother implementing ) and it might be easier to implement too but we should take a closer look at what we're dealing with.

Just take in consideration that the .NET community is extremely larger than the Flash + Flex + AIR community combined. What if the guys at MS finally break the ice and an extremely large part of the .NET community decides to switch to Silverlight? Do you really think that Flex won't feel this move?

C# is a much more efficient language than AS 3.0 ( although I like AS 3.0 more, facts are still facts ) so the potential is definitely there. I think that the reason Silverlight did not have a major impact on the current Flex community is because MS is not taking the battle too seriously. Let's not forget that MS is a "monster company" compared to Adobe, they have reached into way more fields than Adobe and they continue to battle with N companies on each field ( where Adobe has never had any competition on nor Flash and nor Flex ). MS mainly makes money from Windows and Office so the "brains behind the monster" are most likely concentrated in those departments. MS has more experience in the technical part of things where Adobe has more experience with the users ( user experience ) that are using Adobe products. I think this is the reason why Adobe is doing better at the moment than MS, the guys at MS a simply more "techy" to actually care about user experience, they tend to focus much more on the developer.

Still, this doesn't mean that a day can't come when the heads at MS decide to move the "company pillars" out from the "Windows and Office box" and put them into the Silverlight department. If this will ever happen, I'm quite sure that we'll all feel the change.

If the guys at MS understand that the key of success to Silverlight might stand in "user experience" ( or maybe the do understand, just that they don't really care about it that much - at least, not at the moment ) and can provide a more "user friendly" IDE for Silverlight development then I think that they'll finally make some serious progress with Silverlight. Until then, Adobe is safe and can focus on marketing than having to worry about "the guys at MS have better tools that are also user friendly... and people seem to be migrating toward Silverlight".

Again, just my 5 cents.

• 9. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                          Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Exactly my point. Silverlight is a huge threat to Flex, and I'm afraid this name change will be an unnecessary distraction.

• 10. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                            Barna Biro Level 3

matt_chotin wrote:

@Barna very little engineering time is being wasted on name changes, marketing is capable of thinking about this while engineering is working on the product.

Matt

Hi Matt and thanks for the reply but I must say that I'm a bit disappointed. Personally, I was hopping to hear something like: "No engineering time is being wasted on name changes." Anyway, I still think that these name changes ( that seem to happen more often and more often ) are not helping the community and I don't think they bring more profit to Adobe either.

But yeah, I don't know the ins and outs of Adobe, nor have I got a chart at hand that would sustain the things I stated above. My affirmations are purely based on my personal opinion and experience with different companies/clients.

• 11. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                              Michael Borbor Level 4

I don't think MS is a thread, I'll say another tech in the arena. Yes the .NET developer base is huge, but that's because most people uses Windows OS. But that quantity is getting lower and lower. I'll say MS has more concerns than Adobe, they're loosing market in its most profitable area (OS, Office), they are trying to catch up with Adobe in UI, Design, and innovation.

FLV is kicking some as*** in market penetration, so instead of worrying about the industry , why don't we worry about developing better apps, more engaging, more user friendly?

• 12. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                Barna Biro Level 3

Well, I don't know where you get the data from, but I wouldn't count on Windows OS users to go under 75-80% World Wide in the near or far future. But yes, you are right when saying that MS is loosing market in certain fields but this has definitely nothing to do with Adobe ( or an extremely small amount at most ). Adobe has no product that would challenge Windows or Office, so where's the threat? MS tried to take a piece of Adobe's market by trying to get tools out like Photoshop and Illustrator but they failed. So, MS lost some money, so what?

Again, I really don't think they are even thinking about trying to catch up with Adobe. I'm quite sure they have much bigger concerns than Adobe or the Adobe products.

FLV is kicking a** at the moment, but does that mean that no other format will ever take it's place? Who said that a "no name company" can't come out of the blue and invent some really crazy format that is 100 times smaller than FLV, can use any codecs, can be displayed on any machines without a plug-in and who know what else.

Absurd ( but possible ): Who said that MS can't buy Adobe? If they would really want to, I'm quite confident then they would and could.

Michael Borbor wrote:

why don't we worry about developing better apps, more engaging, more user friendly?

In order to develop user friendly and efficient applications, you need a good IDE and a good framework. You can't expect developers to use Notepad++ to build applications ( I'm obviously exaggerating here ). I'm not saying that Flex Builder is not good ( compared to the Flash IDE, it's godliness ) just that it could be much better. Wouldn't it be better if you could develop application much faster and "the right way" than have to waste days/weeks trying to find a workaround for certain problems that were not implemented into the IDE or framework because they wasted time focus on more unessential things than the stuff that would really mattter to a developer?

All that I'm saying is that it would really be nice to finally have a mature IDE.

• 13. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                  Michael Borbor Level 4

I never said Adobe was a the one that would take MS down.

Ms couldn't buy Yahoo, Adobe being a part of MS is something that I 

can't even think of.

Losing millions of dollars is never something good for any bussiness.

Ms cares about making money not anything else.

Sincerely,

Michael

El 18/05/2009, a las 16:04, Barna Biro <forums@adobe.com> escribió:

>

Well, I don't know where you get the data from, but I wouldn't count 

on Windows OS users to go under 75-80% World Wide in the near or far 

future. But yes, you are right when saying that MS is loosing market 

in certain fields but they are definitely have nothing to do with 

Adobe. Adobe has no product that would challange Windows or Office, 

so where's the threat? MS tried to take a piece of Adobe's market by 

trying to get tools out like Photoshop and Illustrator but they 

failed. So, MS lost some money, so what?

>

Again, I really don't think they are even thinking about trying to 

catch up with Adobe. I'm quite sure they have much bigger concerns 

than Adobe or the Adobe products.

>

FLV is kicking a** at the moment, but does that mean that no other 

format will ever take it's place? Who said that a "no name company" 

can't come out of the blue and invent some really crazy format that 

is 100 times smaller than FLV, can use any codecs, can be displayed 

on any machines without a plug-in and who know what else.

>

Absurd ( but possible ): Who said that MS can't buy Adobe? If they 

would really want to, I'm quite confident then they would and could.

• 14. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                    Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I suspect that a purchase of Adobe by MS would never pass the Justice Deptartment due to anti-trust concerns, but I could be wrong.

I actually think Adobe should buy Yahoo, sell off doubtful parts of the business, and have a massive layoff. Yahoo may very well cease to exist in the not too distant future, so lot's of people will lose their jobs anyway, and Adobe would get a great vehicle to extend its reach into advertising, and to extend the reach of its fledgling SAAS businesses. If anyone can make some parts of Yahoo survive, Adobe is the one.

• 15. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                      Barna Biro Level 3

I don't think Adobe has the money to buy Yahoo.

• 16. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                        Gregory Lafrance Level 6

They're gonna fade away anyway, so hopefully they would offer it up cheap.

• 17. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                          Ansury Level 3

Just recently re-infuriated by this terrible decision on Adobe's part so I located this thread.

On Adobe labs they use this as the reasoning:

If you are new to the Flash Builder beta, the first thing that you’ve already noticed is that we are renaming Flex Builder to Flash Builder. This name change will create a clear distinction between the free open-source Flex framework and the commercial IDE.

So instead of developers (most of which have already learned the distinction by now after TWO versions) having to know the difference between an SDK and an IDE (what kind of idiot developers can't understand this???), now Flash designers (many more of those) and programmers also need to understand the difference between Flash Builder and Flash Professional.  They aren't the same product in the least and are barely related, but Flash "newbies" won't know that from the names.  Meanwhile Flex newbies will still be confused by the Flex SDK/Flash Builder mismatch.

You would think that Flex devs (many of which come from the Java world which has exactly the same concept of SDK/IDE) who are familiar with software engineering (unlike your typical Flash developer), would be able to overcome this "confusion" more easily than the much larger number of Flash devs.

So now this change is needed, to add even more confusion for everybody involved:

When Flash Builder 4 is released for purchase, the current plan is to name the full-featured edition Flash Builder 4 Premium edition. This change is being made to reduce any risk of confusion between Adobe Flash Professional and Adobe Flash Builder.

If it's already realized that you're just replacing the confusion of Flex newbies with the confusion of both Flex AND Flash newbies... why do it?

Was this some over-paid executive's knee jerk solution to an almost insignificant problem?  Given that it seems almost nobody thinks this change is a good idea, perhaps they should have asked (here or elsewhere) their customers what they thought of such a change before simply announcing it and passing it off as a big marketing improvement?

But more importantly: Is it too late to reconsider this idiocy?  (I can't wait till Google searches start mixing up Flash Pro and Flash Builder information making it just that much harder to find relevant links!)

If you really want to eliminate the confusion of "Flex Builder" vs "Flex SDK" for the mentally challenged, why not simply rename Flex Builder to a more creative and unique name similar to what Java has in Eclipse/JDK?  Heck even calling it FX Builder would have been better than Flash Builder!  The marketing dept here needs a serious wake up call IMO.

• 18. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                            glen08 Level 1

Will Flash Builder 4 have all the current Flash functions, or just a name change?

• 19. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                              Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Basically just a name change. Flash Professional creates timeline based animations, and Flash Builder creates Flex applications.

Managerial gymnastics run amuck.

• 20. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                SpaghettiCoder Level 3

Does it matter what they call it.

How many of you actually using FB4 or planning to use FB4...

Will you use it for future projects, or are you actually taking the time to re-code old projects if so why?

• 21. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                  dzeikei Level 2

Funny that only I seem to be the one to think this is change for the better.

If you switch between Flex and Flash(Pure AS3) projects like me you will see that Flex Builder is the perfect tool for doing both. Just because you are creating a RIA does NOT mean you must use the Flex framework and even creating simple Flash games can benefit from using the Flex Builder IDE.

Developers doing any serious Flash applications would never dream of using Flash Professional to do their coding, it's more of a tool for the designer to create assets for the application. They've had to resort to using third-party applictions like FlashDevelop and FDT and it makes perfect sense to rename Flex Builder to Flash Builder to market Flex Builder to many people who don't even realize that you can do pure AS3 projects with it.

• 22. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                    Ansury Level 3

I don't follow (above), but maybe I'm just missing your point.  Did you read my entire (long) post explaining why the name change is bad from a marketing perspective?  I don't disagree that you can do RIA in Flash and certainly not that you can do games in Flex, but I can't imagine how this confusing name mix up enables that.

glen08 wrote:

Will Flash Builder 4 have all the current Flash functions, or just a name change?

It it time to rest our case?  Perfect example of the type of confusion Adobe has generated out of thin air due to this name change nonsense!  In fact, it's a better example than I thought of myself.  Will Flash Developers mistakenly buy "Flash Builder" thinking they're getting "Flash Pro" or some combo product?

The two words distinguishing the products, assuming I have both new names correct, are "Builder" vs "Professional".  How the heck does that convey that one is geared heavily towards RIAs, application developers, and business applications (which actually to me sounds more "Professional") and another one is the original intended for timeline-oriented movie/web gaming/graphics/design heavy projects?

What's worse is that I don't know if we could come up with a much more confusing pair of names, even if we wanted to.  If the goal here was to reduce confusion and improve marketing, the marketing team just had an epic fail there.

• 23. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                      Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Don't forget, there will likely be a Flash Builder Professional, only adding to the confusion.

• 24. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                        dougmccune1 Level 1

This topic has been beaten to death a long time ago, but just to throw one

argument out there. Adobe has done a good job fighting for the Flash

trademark (well, I guess that depends on what you consider "good"). They

threaten to sue people who use the word Flash in their domain names (same

goes for AIR). They do this because you have to aggressively defend a

trademark or else you lose it. Adobe hates the fact that people use

Photoshop as a verb, because eventually that means it will enter the normal

english language (like "I xeroxed the document", or "pass me a kleenex") at

which point it becomes much more difficult to defend the trademark.

So regarding Flash and AIR, they defend those like crazy. But with Flex they

didn't. I don't know if that was calculated from the beginning or if they

realized too late, but they let things like the Flex Show podcast, the 360

Flex conference, etc all use the Flex name. Adobe barely owns Flex as a

brand anymore, they can't defend that trademark, and they've publicly stated

they don't want to. The "Flex brand" is open source. But the Flash brand

isn't. So when it comes to building the only brand that you can defend

(Flash) you start naming all your **** under that brand.

So I'm not saying this is the only reason they went with the rename (I

happen to agree with it for other reasons), but it might have been a factor.

Doug

• 25. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                          JabbyPandaUA Level 3

http://castleharlan.com/profiles/artwork/adobeair.gif

BTW, I still wonder what Adobe thinks of Adobe Air Inc, the company that owns adobeair.com domain (returns 404 page today) and "for more than 65 years, AdobeAir has redefined the standards of quality in evaporative coolers"

• 26. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                            Ansury Level 3

Ugh. I can't stand trademarks and such but never mind that.

If that's a portion of their thinking, the company is doomed.  The "verbization" of a product represents the practical cornering of the market for that product - most people would consider that a good thing!

But if, instead, some people have their heads so far (you know where) that they're more concerned with defending their "IP rights" -- which generates ZERO revenue for the company in itself -- the company is going to be in trouble some day.  (Not only that but the more exclusive and proprietary Adobe tries to make their technology, the more drive people have to create alternatives!)

And I forgot about "Flash Builder Pro" - yeah, explain that one to a future "Flash Pro" user!  What's really going on here?

• 27. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                              olegkon Level 1

I completely agree with both Ben's points.

Any plans for FB4 Eclipse plugin on Linux ?

Just think how Adobe marketing messed up names with FDS, Flex DS, LCDS, unnamed (Flex) part of LiveCycle ES,

or is it Adobe® LiveCycle® Data Services ES2 module now ?   And that is a product for which you are supposed to pay lots of money ?

Sales people will mess it up for sure.  Here you miss $s.

No, Adobe marketing heads need to be fired on that !

Look at Sun - still can't figure it out with marketing (remember "Java2" ), now under Oracle ?

How many products have Microsoft ever renamed ?

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,

Oleg.

• 28. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                                Ansury Level 3

Yes Sun has had it's ill-thought out decisions as well, not to mention their terrible website design and jokes like "EJB" or "Applets".  (Which Adobe is competing with at least in terms of forum software, I dare say.)

Microsoft, evil as they are , does set a better example on marketing and naming I think.  It's not just frustration with Adobe that has me considering a switch to Silverlight over Flex every once in a while... (not to mention dropping Sun/Java in the process!)  Perhaps I'm old school, but all my memories of working with Visual C++ back in the day are happy fun days compared to working with some of the Java tools out now, and sometimes (although it beats the crap out of JSP and Ajax) Flex has that same frustrating feel to it.

• 29. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                                  Michael Borbor Level 4

As far as I know, there will be only two versions of Flash Builder: Flash Builder Standard and Flash Builder Premium, there will no be a Flash Builder Pro.

• 30. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                                    Ansury Level 3

More confusion... okay, so this is the new names?

Flash Builder Standard

Flash Builder Premium

Flash Professional

So Builder == Flex.  (But Flash developers build Flash applications too...)  It's just silly.

• 31. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                                      dougmccune1 Level 1

Builder = Actionscript Coding (and additionally MXML support)

The real problem here isn't the Flash Builder name, it's the Flash

Professional name. If they're moving everything to the Flash brand then

Flash Professional is a horrible product name. It needs to be something to

distinguish what it does, like Flash Animator. And don't even get me started

on all the reasons Flash Catalyst is a bad name

• 32. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                                        Ansury Level 3

"Flash Animator" could help.  But "could" doesn't stop marketing from being terminated a year from now...

I also have a personal annoyance at the word "Flash" being put into the IDE's name, because now our over-paranoid security know-nothings are going to see a "bad word" and do the usual knee jerk reaction about it being insecure because it's Flash, etc etc.  But that I can't blame Adobe for.

• 33. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                                          pauland Level 4

Does anyone know of any training courses available for the flash related product names?

I feel that a week of training and a certification exam might be the way forward to success in understanding the naming protocol for the Flash and Flex related product sets. Would I then be qualified to try and explain to others what the products do and why they are named as they are?

If such a certification is under development, would it be likely to become a pre-requisite before being allowed to purchase any Adobe flash related product?

Q10)

You are chatting to a client who is undecided about whether they should dump some insane Ajax related development strategy and move forward towards adult RIA development. They ask which Adobe or Microsoft poduct is right for them.

1) You explain that Flash Builder 4 is the way forward for Flex development

or

2) You suggest that Flash CS5 is better suited to Flash development than Flash Builder

or

3) You explain that Silverlight is not a viable RIA development tool yet because there are not yet enough similar sounding product choices available to confuse potential buyers.

;-)

• 34. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                                            Ansury Level 3

pauland wrote:

Does anyone know of any training courses available for the flash related product names?

I feel that a week of training and a certification exam might be the way forward to success in understanding the naming protocol for the Flash and Flex related product sets. Would I then be qualified to try and explain to others what the products do and why they are named as they are?

If such a certification is under development, would it be likely to become a pre-requisite before being allowed to purchase any Adobe flash related product?

Q10)

You are chatting to a client who is undecided about whether they should dump some insane Ajax related development strategy and move forward towards adult RIA development. They ask which Adobe or Microsoft poduct is right for them.

1) You explain that Flash Builder 4 is the way forward for Flex development

or

2) You suggest that Flash CS5 is better suited to Flash development than Flash Builder

or

3) You explain that Silverlight is not a viable RIA development tool yet because there are not yet enough similar sounding product choices available to confuse potential buyers.

;-)

This is gold!  A+++ 

• 35. Re: Flex Builder 4 == Flash Builder 4
                                                                              Ansury Level 3

Flash Builder 4 == Flex IDE 4

Call it that, unless this just isn't 'cool' enough.  See, who needs a marketing dept?