10 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 2:09 AM by andi_urra

Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD

TheoRichel Level 1

Can someone tell me please the recommended workflow with the BPAV-files from a Sony EX3 to get them into Premiere and all this to create a HD video. We have the Sony Clipbrowser 2.0 available, but it is unclear which exporting format to chose or to do something else.

Many thanks.

Theo Richel

• 1. Re: Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Just copy the files from Clip Browser to your hard disk. Then in PR import the BPAV directory from the directory where you stored them. Disregard the file not supported message, click OK and in the BPAV bin you have all your clips.

• 2. Re: Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Theo,

I see that Harm has already offered some good advice. Hope that you get exactly what you are looking for.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD
              TheoRichel Level 1

Thank you. This is what I've done:

1. Just copy the files from Clip Browser to your hard disk. ( Copy All -

it then stores the whole BPAV-thing in a Clipbrowser directory in

MyDocuments)

2. Then in PR import the BPAV directory from the directory where you

stored them. (I can open that MyDocuments BPAV directory from within PR,

when I use the Get Media command, but it doesn't 'Import the

BPAV-directory', I can only select one MP4 file at a time after which it

works a little bit, shows a progress bar (shortly) and then that's it.

Nothing is imported. Other files are easily imported (eg from YouTube)

3. So I do not get a 'file not supported message'.

TR

• 4. Re: Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD
                Bob Ramage Level 1

Sounds like you've been using the Media Browser tab and only opening the MP4 files for preview in the source monitor. The files have to be moved into the project window.

There are basically two ways to add EX3 footage to a project.

The first is the method Harm mentioned. Import the BPAV folder into the Project window  (use  'file>import' or right-click in the PPro project window and choose 'import'). Select the BPAV folder and import. You will get the error messages for the non-MP4 files, but can ignore them.

The second method is to use the Media Browser tab in PPro CS4 (normally docked together with 'effects, info, history'). No error messages with this method. Navigate to the BPAV folder and select the file(s) you wish to import - use 'ctrl/cmd A' to select all in the directory. Drag the selected files to the project pane to import, or double click to open and review them individually in the source monitor before importing into the project. You can also right-click on the selected file(s) in the Media Browser and have the same two options (import or open in source monitor).

Files opened for preview in the source monitor are not automatically imported into the project. You must do this by either dragging it to the project window or adding the clip to the timeline.

• 5. Re: Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD
                  TheoRichel Level 1

Well you are very kind, but this is not very useful. The answers I get clearly refer to Premiere Pro and not to Prem Elements. Apparently there is no one knowledgeable about what P Elements can import.

T

• 6. Re: Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

It would have been helpful to know from the offset that you were talking about Premiere Elements--you're in the Premiere Pro forum, so it's to be expected that the answers you've received refer to functionality only available in Premiere Pro.

As it is, Premiere Elements is more of consumer-tuned application, and since the EX3 is not your typical consumer camcorder, support for it is likely non-existent. PrElements handles the formats listed here.You'd have to find some means of converting the EX3 footage into something that PrElements can edit, ie. DV AVI.

• 7. Re: Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD
                      gwinchell Level 1

Is anyone having a problem importing files from EX3 shot at 1080i into premiere CS4 after the 4.01 upgrade/ I can see files shot at 720 but the 1080 files have audio wave in timeline but no video and then the programs locks up. Same files worked fine in 4.0 before upgrade. So far tech support is not much help

• 8. Re: Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

No problem at all here.

• 9. Re: Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD
                          tgunns7

I have files that are quicktime. I can't import them into Adobe at all. I downloaded the clip browser and can't see the files in there. what do i do?

• 10. Re: Workflow Sony EX3 - Premiere for HD
                            andi_urra Level 1

Hi gwinchell, we too have problems with EX3 clips that cause Premiere CS4 to lock up. Typically with recordings that have a length that caused the camera to split them up into subclips. Normaly, Premiere would recognize that on import and handle them as a single clip. But, sometimes they seem just corrupt.

It seems the problem lies somewhere in the metadata. So in such cases, we separate the .mp4 files from the BPAV (which should be avoided in all other circumstances) and then import just these bare .mp4 without all the BPAV structure. This usually does allow editing on them.

Regards,

Andreas