7 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2009 11:22 AM by Jim_Simon

Project setting for scratch disk

ph1llyman

Hello All,

I hope I state this correctly Drive C:WD 3000 GLFS for OS and Programs

Drive D: Blu-Ray Dvd Burner

Drive E: 2x WD 750 AALS raid 0 for capturing V&A too,project files and other media.

Drive F: WD AALS for exporting render file too.

This is how my system is set up ok, now how do I set the Preferences Under Scratch Disk for: Video preveiws,Auto preveiws and etc?

Thanks for Your Help 

• 1. Re: Project setting for scratch disk
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Assuming your pagefile is set up on the raid, on the E drive, I would setup the video previews on the E drive as well and the audio previews on the F drive. This because you then spread the access across the various drives. For simplicity reasons you may set all your scratch disks to E, where your projects are, because when you have finished your project it is a lot easier to delete everything. But then it may be beneficial to set your pagefile to the F drive. It also depends on your other hardware and on whether you use an on board raid or a software raid. If you use a software (Windows managed) raid, I would spread across as many disks as you can, because of the large CPU overhead of a software raid. Either way, unless you are are doing complex and large projects, it will not be critical whether you choose option 1 or 2. If you are doing very complex or long projects with a lot of tracks, then we may need more info.

• 2. Re: Project setting for scratch disk
            ph1llyman Level 1

Harm,

First, thanks for the quick response.Right now I have it set like option2.I basically do wedding using at the most, 3-video tracks and 3-audio tracks.

The projects are usually from 60 to 90 min. long.Other hardware CPU:Intel core 17-920 2.66ghz.

MB:Intel dx58so

Ram:3Gig DDR3 Triple Channel

OS:Win XP w/sp3

PS:1000 watt

Wish I had waited a little longer would have gone with Vista Business 64,oh yes the raid is software windows managed.

Thank You

• 3. Re: Project setting for scratch disk
              Kona Bob Level 2

Harm

I've never been sure this is the best set up, so I'm curious as to your opinion:

Doing HD editing, moderately complex, usually 50min finished programs:

C: System Drive, apps only

D: RAID: all raw media

E: SATA: PPro project file, scratch/preview files, media cache files

F: USB SATA: for export of rendered avi, m2v, Blu Ray, etc.

Do you have any suggestion for optimizing this?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Project setting for scratch disk
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd break out the RAID into two separate drives.

Use whichever is smaller, a broken out E: drive or the current F: drive, for Projects and Scratch.  Then use whichever is larger, the other broken out E: drive or the current F: drive, for Media.  Use the remaining drive for Exports.

• 5. Re: Project setting for scratch disk
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I do not agree with Jim. The raid (D drive) is large, fast and perfect for your media. Admitted, it may fail and then you need to recapture, but at least you still have your projects on the E drive. I don't see the advantage of breaking out the raid just to create a separate disk for exports. During editing you need fast disk access to a lot of files. Once you have authored, exporting is about the only task that needs access to a single or maybe a small number of files. That is not disk intensive. I also think that using a raid for your media will speed up opening of projects, when PR checks your media files whether they have been indexed, looks for preview files, etc. because the raid is much faster than a single disk.

The one thing I don't understand is your F drive.

F: USB SATA

Is it a USB drive or a USB powered eSATA drive? If it is a USB drive, make sure that when exporting you have as few as possible other USB devices active, like card readers and printers, because they slow down a USB drive.

Your setup makes perfect sense to me.

• 6. Re: Project setting for scratch disk
                    Kona Bob Level 2

Harm,

I'm glad to hear your feedback. This arrangement has worked well for me.

The F: "USB" SATA is a WD external SATA that can be plugged in as eSATA or USB. Seems to be plenty fast to write a stream of rendered/ transcoded movie w/o making demands on the media RAID drive, or the project drive. Those drives are busy spitting up the raw media, accessing the project file for instructions, and rendering out the export file to be written on the external F; drive. My version of division of labor.

I guess I'll just keep doing it this way.

• 7. Re: Project setting for scratch disk
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      During editing you need fast disk access to a lot of files.

For which any modern single drive is WAAAAY more than fast enough for camera formats.  Only with Uncompressed does RAID really become needed.

exporting is about the only task that needs access to a single or maybe a small number of files. That is not disk intensive.

Exporting is more often CPU intensive than disk intensive, I'll grant.  But using two separate disks can sometimes still be of some speed benefit, like when exporting a DV project to a DV file for transcoding in Encore.  And certainly it has it's organizational benefits to do your exporting to a drive separate from the Media drive.