16 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 1:14 PM by Ann Bens

Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro

oliviertx1

Dear all,

I'm a beginner andwould like to create a very simple slideshow with 4 pictues. Is there any way to adjust the duration of the first slides at 2s and the next one at 5s, the same for the transition. SO my question is, is there any process to change the property of a group of pictures (duration, effect, transition)? Because select each picture and apply all the customization picture by picture is ver very boring...

Best regards,

• 1. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might want to consider getting yourself a Photomontage program like ProShowGold.

• 2. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The Duration can be changed, Clip by Clip, by dragging the end of it on the Timeline. Before you Import your still images, you can decide on a good Duration to use for the majority of the stills. Go to Edit>Preferences>General and set that. Import still images. Then, adjust the Duration of all images that require it, on an individual basis.

Note: re-size your images outside of PrPro. Photoshop is excellent for this and the re-sizing can easily be automated with Actions. Your Project Preset Frame Size will give you a clue, as to what size to make these. If you plan on panning on a zoomed out image, allow extra pixels for doing that. Do not Import 12-megapixel images into PrPro. The quality will actually suffer and your system will grind to a halt.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
              Phil Griffith Level 2

I wouldn't think changing duration for 4 photos could be that boring. I just completed one with 250 photos and I did like Bill suggested and set duration before importing into project and used automate to sequence to lay photos to timeline with transitions. You can fine tune individual photos after wards.

• 4. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

The following categories have tutorials that will show you what you need to know to create effective slide shows in PPro:

Slide Show

Stills

Cheers
                Eddie

• 5. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You are absolutely correct. My current Project has 2000+ stills. There, the "average" is a good starting point. For the 4, that the OP wants to work with, any Duration will work initially, and a bit of dragging will allow one to alter the Duration. I had forgotten that only 4 images were being used. Thanks.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                    oliviertx1 Level 1

Well, to be clear, I'm a beginner in PPro but my regular slide has around 200 stills. The 4 stills was only an example.... I had Photoshop Element before, and creating a slideshow in element is very very easy: multiple selection to define the duration of still number 4, 5, 10 for example and select transitions number 1, 3, 5 ,6 , 7 as disssolve is done by one clic. So the work to get a first draft of your slideshow is very fast.

Could you confirm that the only way to do it in Ppro is by selecting each still one after the other? Because to do it when you import means that you already know your slideshow!

Congratulations to the_wine_snob to create a slideshow with 2000 stills!

Best regards,

• 7. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                      ysurati01 Level 1

try this,

go to edit and scrach disk area and specify seconds like 1 minute = 60 seconds usually I use 240 second to adjust transition.

• 8. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                        Phil Griffith Level 2

240 second transitions? Sounds more like a full length movie just for the transition.

• 9. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

One thing that you can do with the slides/stills is Import as a Numbered Sequence. I'll bet that Eddie's link to "Slides" above, will have full details on that. When one does the re-sizing in Photoshop, they could include the re-naming to a "numbered sequence" in their Action. Note: Always do a Save_As and to a common folder, for your Actionable functions - do NOT overwrite your original Assets. If ever in doubt, only work from Copies of the original Assets. In the case of material that I create, I have one folder for the RAW, another for my DNG conversions, another for my .PSD's, then another for my "working" .PSD's. I'll copy those over to another folder, run my Actions on those copies, and output to a "Finals" folder. For numbered sequences, maybe even an additional folder. I want to be able to go back to each level of image. The RAW and the "working" .PSD's are most important to me.

Good luck, and let me know if Eddie's links give you all of the info that you need. The PrPro-wiki is very, very good, and most that one could ever want to do, will be in there. If not, Eddie will soon add it.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Just a *guess*, but I'll bet that the entry should have been 240 frames. I find that it's all too easy for me to type "inches," when I know that I mean "pixels." Same for "seconds," when I know that I mean "frames." Unfortunately, when I do so, others have no clue, as to what is in my feeble brain.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                              Phil Griffith Level 2

yea, that would make more sense.

• 12. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                                don solomon Level 1

Let me add to the previous suggestion that you get ProShow Gold--or better yet ProShow Producer, Photodex's pro level mulimedia software.  Once upon a time, I let clients talk me into mixed media presentations with video and synched audio intersperesed with a couple of hundred stills using an NLE. Not any more! I use Producer now and my clients can't believe the creative results--and better yet that I don't have to charge them an arm and a leg.

To do anything interesting with  hundreds of stills takes endlless time in Premiere Pro.  If you intend to do it often or with any creative or interesting variations on the tired old 'slide show' , download a trial of Producer, whereupon you will likely never want to use an NLE for projects with intensive use of stills again

And, on a further note, Photodex makes a plugin for Lightroom--one of very few LR plugins-- that takes an ordered flielist ( developed Raws) and spits them out as jpegs onto Producer's Timeline along with numerous Proshow presets chosen in the LR Plugin before export.  Great timesaver in workflow.

• 13. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  And, on a further note, Photodex makes a plugin for Lightroom--one of very few LR plugins-- that takes an ordered flielist ( developed Raws) and spits them out as jpegs onto Producer's Timeline along with numerous Proshow presets chosen in the LR Plugin before export.  Great timesaver in workflow.

Don,

That is good information that I had not seen.

ProShow Producer gets very good reviews, everywhere that I have read of it. If I end up with a call for more SlideShows, I'll probably pick up a copy and learn it.

One quick question: how does its output work, if one needed to do more, pure NLE work in PrPro, or AE. Any conflicts that you have noticed?

Thanks for posting the info,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                                    don solomon Level 1

Hunt,

No conflicts, you can output to a wide range of formats--or DVD, Blu Ray,etc directly.  I often take combined image and video sequences created in Producer into P Pro or AE, for example.  I usually export unccompressed AVIs for inclusion in existing video projects in PProCS4 or Edius 5.  It works equally well the other way, except of course that video editing in Producer is imited, so if the project is predominantly video I usually make final tweaks in  an NLE before output. And if the project is predominantly stills with short interspersed video clips, I prepare the video in PPro or Edius firts and import them into Producer as finished assets . Producer is a very powerful dedicated appliction for work on image sequences--its amazing what you can do with it. And so much more quickly than in an NLE.

• 15. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for taking the time to report.

Well, sounds like ProShow Producer will be on my wish-list now.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Doing a simple slide show in Premiere Pro
                                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thats what i do: make the slideshow in ProShowGold (i find Producer to expensive) and import it into Premiere to finish of.