Exit

RegEx Help

Explorer ,
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a string that looks like this:

<DIV id="<:HTMLContent1:>">
<P><A style="FONT: bold 13px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none" href="http://192.168.1.1/e.cfm?m=<:cid:>.6.0.45" target=_blank>Free tutorials</A> <BR><SPAN style="FONT: 11px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none">This month's free online tutorials cover new techniques</SPAN>.</P></DIV>

which I need to parse and make look like this:

<:HTMLContent1:>

The thing is, it could be from HTMLContent1 through HTMLContent8, so the RegEx needs to account for that.

Basically, I need to just pull the ID value of the div tag.

TIA!

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTMLContent?

The question mark is the single character wild card control in regular expersion syntax.  This will match the String "HTMLContent" and any other character.  If you want to restrict the final character to explicitly the characters 1 through 8.

HTMLContent[1-8]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

Thanks, but do you have any thoughts on how I can parse out only the <:HTMLContent[1-8]:> portion from that string?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, just put the regex into a refind() function!

refind("HTMLContent[1-8]",contentStringToSearch...)

You will probably want to read the documentation on the refind() function to determine whether you want to set the retunSubExpressions property to true which returns an array of pos and len of matches, or false which just returns the start position.

It looks like you also want the angle brackes and colons in your return, so that would be:

refind("<:HTMLContent[1-8]:>"....)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping someone could help me with one REReplaceNoCase statement to replace all instances in one shot.

RegEx is like chinese to me...ggrrrrrr

thnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Balance,

Ian actually had the base of it all there for you !

ReReplaceNoCase( "HTMLContent[1-8]", contentStringToSearch, "string to replace", "ALL")

This says, find the string HTMLContent followed by a digit 1-8 in the variable contentStringToSearch. Replace all of the instances found with the "string to replace". Do you need more than that?

Cheers,

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the OP wants to reduce the entire div tag down to the HTMLContent string....  Which would look close to something like this.

ReReplaceNoCase( '<div[^>]*(<:HTMLContent[1-8]:>)">*?</div>', contentStringToSearch, "\1", "ALL")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

Thanks, but that RegEx didn't change anything (even after I switched the parameters, since you had them backwards).

Here's what the entire string looks like:

<DIV id="<:HTMLContent1:>">
<P><A style="FONT: bold 13px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none" href="http://192.168.1.1/d.cfm?m=19866" target=_blank>Free tutorials</A> <BR><SPAN style="FONT: 11px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none">This month's free on line tutorials</SPAN>.</P></DIV>
<DIV id="<:HTMLContent2:>">
<P><A style="FONT: bold 13px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none" href="http://192.168.1.1/d.cfm?m=19867" target=_blank>3G Evolution</A><BR><SPAN style="FONT: 11px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none">A comprehensive understanding of LTE design</SPAN></P></DIV>
<DIV id="<:HTMLContent3:>">
<P><A style="FONT: bold 13px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none" href="http://192.168.1.1/d.cfm?m=19870" target=_blank>New Title!</A> <BR><SPAN style="FONT: 11px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none">Broadcasting Standards covers basic principles</SPAN></P></DIV>

Here's what the RegEx looks like:

<cfscript>

variables.content=ReReplaceNoCase(variables.content,'<div[^>]*(<:HTMLContent[1-8]:>)">*?</div>',"\1", "ALL");
</cfscript>

When I output variables.content after the RegEx it looks identical to the original text.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A check of a Regex syntax guide would probably have pointed out that I forgot one little dot character.

<cfscript>
variables.content = ReReplaceNoCase(variables.content,'<div[^>]*(<:HTMLContent[1-8]:>).*?</div>',"\1", "ALL");
</cfscript>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation