6 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2009 9:38 PM by kglad

button timeline not showing

Spalding H

Hi,

I'm sure this is probably something simple, but sometimes when I double click a button on the stage to enter its

timeline, I don't get the up, over, down, hit, timeline. I just get a timeline that looks like a regular layer. Am I doing

something wrong? My button is a 'button' symbol not a graphic or mc??

Cheers,

S

• 1. Re: button timeline not showing
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if you're seeing a full timeline, your button is a movieclip.

if you create a movieclip and in the properties panel you change the dropbox to button, it's a movieclip button, not a true/simple button.

• 2. Re: button timeline not showing
            Spalding H Level 1

Thanks,

I imported the asset from photoshop as a movie clip and converted it to a button in the properties panel. I don't

have the option of converting the photoshop layer to a button. Is there any way of giving the button some characteristics if it

has been converted from an mc?

S

• 3. Re: button timeline not showing
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are able to specify the object as a button in the properties panel, you should be able to right click on it in the library and change it to a button symbol... this will produce the 4 frames you are missing.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: button timeline not showing

sure, everything a true/simple button can do a movieclip button can do (plus a whole lot more).

first, do to your movieclip's timeline and in the first frame attach a stop() and label that frame "up".  put whatever graphics/animation you want to display when your button is up.  create another keyframe labeled "over" (and another labeled "down", if you want).  put whatever graphics you want to be seen when your mouse is over your movieclip button, in the "over"  frame and likewise for the "down" frame (if you have one).

then when you drag an instance of your movieclip to a timeline, give it an instance name (say mc1) in the properties panel.  and, if you're using actionscript2, use:

mc.onPress=function(){  // if you have a down frame

this.gotoAndStop("down");

}

mc.onRollOver=function(){

this.gotoAndStop("over");

}

mc.onRollOut=function(){

this.gotoAndStop("up");

}

mc.onRelease=function(){

// do whatever.  your button has been clicked and

// only if you have a down frame use:

this.gotoAndStop("over");

}

as ned mentioned, you can also right click your movieclip and click convert to symbol and tick button.  but i wouldn't recommend that.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: button timeline not showing
                  underlit

Is that script usable in ActionScript 3 or will it need to be different?

• 6. Re: button timeline not showing

no, that's as2.