10 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 8:19 AM by the_wine_snob

Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent

calculusdragon

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0. Whenever I hit any kind of export option, excluding the Ctrl+M export movie option, my program immediately shuts down. No messages or anything. Just -- blink -- off. I need to put a 20-minute movie containing several layers of titles, video, backgrounds, effects, music, and audio on a DVD by this Wednesday for a school assignment. It's working on the first troubleshooting option as I type - I'll get back later to say whether it worked. I can't use the Share/Output/Disk option because when I try it just shuts down. Not sure what computer specs are. I know there are some indefinites here but please give me whatever advice you can, with as small a technical or labor-intensive component as possible, because I'm kinda in a time crunch. Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be a number of things -- but it's hard to make a recommendation without some information.

1) What operating system are you using? Do you have the latest Windows updates and the latest version of Quicktime?

2) What are your computer specs? Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. That will show you the processor and RAM load.

3) How much free, defragmented space is left on your hard drive?

4) What type of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

• 2. Re: Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the answers to Steve's questions, tell us all that you can about your specific Project. When I say "everything," that is what I mean. Since you do not have much time, the more the better.

There *might* be something in these answers that trigger with people in the forum.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent
              calculusdragon Level 1

My project was successfully exported to a DV AVI file. I'll try burning with just that file in the timeline in a little over an hour, as well as look up the answers to the specific questions asked.

In the meantime, here's everything I can think of about my project. It has five layers of video and audio, plus the narration and soundtrack audio layers. for one section, every layer of video is filled, but only one layer of audio; for another, only one layer of video and one layer of audio; for the last, the soundtrack layer filled, nearly all layers of video filled sporadically with different keyed effects, with corresponding sound effects. Video was captured from a hard drive camcorder, I don't know exactly what kind because it's not mine. Titles are all templated or extremely basic. Multiple pictures used as backgrounds or effects, all downloaded from the internet, in .bmp or some other basic image format. Lots of sound effects in that last segment, all downloaded from online, in .mp3 or .wav format. I've been working on editing for about 2 weeks. The video was shot just prior to that. It's about 20 minutes long; the DV AVI file is 3.3 GB.

That's all that comes to mind. I'll add more if I think of anything. If there's something glaring I didn't give any attention to, please mention it.

I saw in some other forums that having a different DVD burning program can cause similar errors. We do have something called MyDVDStudio Deluxe; I think it's by Roxio but I'm not sure. Could this be problematic?

I don't really know what's helpful, so please keep pushing me in the right direction. Thanks so much for your help.

• 4. Re: Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Usually, the problems with other DVD/CD burning programs relates to the Adobe program not seeing the burner/drive. Both Roxio and Nero have little modules, called packet-writing modules, that "seize control" of the burner. Adobe needs 100% control. Roxio's is called DLA and Nero's is InCD. If one installs without the packet-writing modules, the rest of the program normally works fine with Adobe. One possible exception might be Roxio's, or Nero's "indexing" module. I never install these either, as they can rob resources and also mess up other programs.

For good, stand-alone burning software, I recommend the free ImgBurn app. It's small, efficient, allows great control, and by the way, did I mention that it's free?

Thank you for outlining your Project. I do not see anything right off to throw up a flag. Will look at it some more and comment.

I see that you did use MP3 Audio in places. In some instances, these can cause problems. However, many of my SFX files are MP3 and have always worked fine. For music, I will convert all MP3's to WAV outside of Premiere, but for SFX I do not bother. I would guess that your's are just fine. Most problems with MP3's has been with the Import of the files, not actually working with them. If your's Imported OK, they should be fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent
                  calculusdragon Level 1

Ah. I bet that's the problem. I definitely have DLA. How can I get rid of DLA? Thanks.

However, would having a packet-writing module block out Adobe lead to problems with exporting to other forms of media?

I'll go try burning the AVI file and hunt down the answers to SteveGrisetti's questions, but I bet your concern with Roxio is the real problem.

• 6. Re: Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent
                    calculusdragon Level 1

Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 2

Processor = Dell Dimension DIM4700 Intell (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.8 GHz, 2.79 GHz, 504 MB RAM (I have no idea what this means)

Free, defragmented space on hard drive = 34.4 GB

• 7. Re: Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Usually, DLA keeps Premiere from even seeing your burner. I have not read of it causing any Export problems, but that does not mean that it won't, just that I have not read of any.

For the DLA module, it is usually best to do a complete uninstall, a Registry cleaning, and then do a custom reinstall. There, make sure that DLA and any indexing module (may have to read the description of each module carefully) and not checked.

Personally, I'd hold this for later. I think there are other problems, that are getting in your way. If you can clear those up, but then PE gives you the error message, "Burner Not Found," that is when I'd uninstall, clean the Registry, and then do a Custom Install.

I'm still reading over the full thread, to see if something strikes me.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Free, defragmented space on hard drive = 34.4 GB

OK, did not catch this one first time through. First thing that I'd do (knowing that you are under "the gun") would be to free up space on your HDD. PE requires much, much more room, than most would ever imagine, for all of the various working files - not just the Export files. You can burn DVD-Data disks for images and other AV files, that are NOT being used in your Project. Same for your Document files. Defrag, once cleared.

That might help you get this Project done.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS back in the olden days, when a 1GB HDD was as large as you could get, I'd have to uninstall all programs, except for Photoshop, to work on really big (for their day) image files. I could only do one backup at a time, and then had to transfer any previous backup to tape (took about 2 hours!). Then I could work for a couple more hours. Glad those days are far behind up.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent
                          calculusdragon Level 1

OK - I was able to get the burn screen to come up with just the avi file in the timeline, so that's good. You got that part right. Then Premiere couldn't find the burner, because of DLA, I presume, so you got that part right too.

However, I was able to burn the AVI file to a DVD using DLA. I've got something to turn in, so that will be just fine.

The time crunch is off, but I'd still like to have the movie on a DVD.

I have no idea how to do the stuff you specified to DLA. Can you please link me to a walkthrough?

Thanks so much for all your help.

• 10. Re: Serious export error in 3.0 - urgent
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news! Now that the Project's deadline has been satisfied, it appears that you had a couple of problems. It was as though you were a single wrestler in a tag-team match - about the time you had one pinned, it "tagged" the other, who attacked you from behind. It happens all too often.

For the DLA issue, I'll restate:

Have your Roxio installation disk, any installation unlock keys and the registration number, etc. handy.

Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and let the list populate. Locate the Roxio entry (probably will not have a separate line for just the DLA*). Remove the full program.

When complete, use a Registry cleaner, lke CCleaner. You only want to clean the Registry right now. You might need to run the program a few times. You want a "clean slate." This is an important step, as both Nero and Roxio have a habit of leaving vast chunks of the program and the modules all over the system. You want them all gone. Some folders might have to be manually removed, prior to doing the Registry cleaning. It can take time, so be very patient.

Install Roxio, but be sure to choose Custom Install. You *should* get a list of all modules. Look down this list closely. Usually it's handled by checkboxes. Uncheck DLA, and then look for any "indexing," "sniffing" or "monitoring" module. These lock onto folders and catalog every bit of activity to/from those folders. I find that they take too many resources and also will hold up processing on a large file, until they are finished doing a complete survey of them. I feel the same way about Windows' Indexing program. I've seen them lock people's files for 30 mins, so they could not even do a Save. I'd rather have slower Searches, than have to pause in my editing, while an indexer works. These are fine, if one has just tons of small DOC files, or similar, but big problems with NLE work. Note: you will NOT have the drag-n-drop feature any longer. Any program, like Quicken, that might have relied on it to do backups to CD, etc. will not function now. You can still WRITE CD-Data and DVD-Data, but just not treat the CD/DVD disc like a HDD any more.

Register, or activate, and you *should* be good-to-go. Most of Roxio does work fine with Adobe NLE programs. Same for Nero. The "trick" is to install just the components that you will need, and do not install those, that cause problems. Unfortunately, the default install usually loads the whole boat.

Good luck,

Hunt

* The exact installation scheme changes. In some versions, you might have the modules listed separately. In others, it'll be an all in one. This goes for the actual installation. By default, Roxio and Nero would install every possible component. One had to manually choose the ones to install through a Custom Install. That might change also. It could well be that your version, or the next one out, will default to only the basic modules, and then the user selects any additional ones. Doesn't matter, so long as you choose to NOT install DLA or InCD. Again, I also choose to not install any indexing program.