2 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2009 5:03 PM by Linda Nicholls

change a color to transparent.

JerryCied Level 1

Lets say i have a black pen inked drawing of some complex object, drawn on a white background.

If i want to change the white to transparent, currently the only way i know is to export it to gif and changeing the white color to transparent in the process.

After the export, i can import the result and i now have what i wanted.

There are a few problems tho.

1) what if there are more than 256 colors?

2) what if the image was scanned and there is a tolerance to the white that i want to convert?

I cannot use any of the marquee tools as the object is to complex.

There must be a way to do what i want.

I am at the beginnings of my fireworks learning curve, but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this.

Thank You

• 1. Re: change a color to transparent.
          Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

Hi JerryCied

As far as i know there isn't an easy way to achive this.

When your object is too complex, you have to make it through, mostly by hand.

- Use the marque tools and the properties panel to make changes to the edge style.

Use either anti-alias or feather for a smoother result.

- Use the polygon and lasso tools to be more accurate when you cut your object.

- Take the risk and use the eraser tool to delete every single pixel that you don't need.

- Make changes through the filters panel to your object, so it reaches the look that you wish.

Take a look at the  'R'  tools (blur, dodge etc). Maybe you can use them too.

For example you could use blur tool to make a smoother edge.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: change a color to transparent.
            Linda Nicholls Level 4

Apply the Convert to Alpha filter. Filters > Other > Convert to Alpha.

1 person found this helpful