Lets say i have a black pen inked drawing of some complex object, drawn on a white background.
If i want to change the white to transparent, currently the only way i know is to export it to gif and changeing the white color to transparent in the process.
After the export, i can import the result and i now have what i wanted.
There are a few problems tho.
1) what if there are more than 256 colors?
2) what if the image was scanned and there is a tolerance to the white that i want to convert?
I cannot use any of the marquee tools as the object is to complex.
There must be a way to do what i want.
I am at the beginnings of my fireworks learning curve, but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this.
As far as i know there isn't an easy way to achive this.
When your object is too complex, you have to make it through, mostly by hand.
- Use the marque tools and the properties panel to make changes to the edge style.
Use either anti-alias or feather for a smoother result.
- Use the polygon and lasso tools to be more accurate when you cut your object.
- Take the risk and use the eraser tool to delete every single pixel that you don't need.
- Make changes through the filters panel to your object, so it reaches the look that you wish.
Take a look at the 'R' tools (blur, dodge etc). Maybe you can use them too.
For example you could use blur tool to make a smoother edge.
Apply the Convert to Alpha filter. Filters > Other > Convert to Alpha.