1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2009 5:54 AM by kglad

targeting sections when playing timeline

Spalding H

Hi, first of all thanks for all the help I've had to date. Special thanks to kglad and Ned Murphy.

I'm new to flash (CS4) and I'm building my first full flash website. Actionscript 3.0 is the code I'm using. The site has 6 pages: home, contents, contact, about, showreel, corporate. I have a panoramic photograph as a background across all my pages. When a button, such as contact, is clicked the timeline is enabled and scrolls across the panoramic to the 'contact' area of the photograph. I have a few questions relating to how I can achieve this.

1.) On my actions layer I have this code on frame one:

stop();

enter_site_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, buttonCLicked);

function buttonClicked (event:MouseEvent):void
      {
      play();
      }

So when you mouseClick the timeline plays and goes to the next stop point on the timeline which is the contents section. On the contents page are the buttons which lead to the other sections. So far I have this code:

stop();

about.btn.addEventListener (MouseEvent.CLICK,buttonCLicked)

corporate.btn.addEventListener (MouseEvent.CLICK,buttonCLicked)

showreel.btn.addEventListener (MouseEvent.CLICK,buttonCLicked)

contact.btn.addEventListener (MouseEvent.CLICK,buttonCLicked)

Each of the buttons work, but I want the timeline to play and go to the page which corresponds to the button which is clicked, not just to play the timeline until the next stop point. Is there a code which would enable the timeline to play and go to the correct section, and not just roll without a target?

2.) I also want to be able to write a code which enables the timeline to move to any section in the same amount of time. What I mean by this is that if it takes 2 seconds (48 frames) to go from the first section to the second section, I also want it to take 2 seconds to go from the second section to the sixth section (240 frames)

Thanks,

Spaldo

• 1. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

your first request can be resolved using your current set-up.  but to accomplish your 2nd request can't easily be done using your current setup.

if i'm picturing your setup correctly, i think you can code your entire site easily and meet your needs.   but let me make sure i understand:

you have a large panorama background image.  that image is several times (say 6?) the width of your stage.  some of your buttons (like home and contents) are visible on every page?  some of your buttons (like contact) are only visible on the contents page?

• 2. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
            underlit

I have the same problem as his first request, what script would be used to jump to different frames in the timeline based on a mouseclick event?

• 3. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

you can use gotoAndPlay() or gotoAndStop() to jump to particular frame numbers or frame labels.

• 4. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                Spalding H Level 1

Yes, you've got it. That is pretty much the setup. The photo is theoretically 6 times the size of the stage. That's something I'm not too

sure on either. My photo is 6 images merged together in photoshop to give the appearance of one long panorama. My stage is 800x600,

which seems to be the minimum you want to work with. The photo is six 1920x1080 images stuck together so 11520 x 1080 (HUGE!)

Of course the photos don't have to be this big but I think designers will be looking at my site and I know many of them use the 24" mac

screens which have huge resolution. I have been reading posts about scaling, so I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it, or would

you suggest dealing with that at the beginning?

CHeers, for your help.

Spaldo

• 5. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

ok, what you should do is to create an movieclip.  drag all the panorama images to that moviecip and align them so they form your panorama.

in a layer above your panorama place your buttons arranged the way you want.  ie, you might have the home button on-stage with the part of the panorama you want on-stage when your home button is displayed.  then off-stage you might place your content buttons over the part of the panorama you want visible when your content buttons are displayed.  (give each button an easy-to-remember instance name in the properties panel.)  then even further off-stage you might place your contact form over the part of the panorama you want visible with the contact form is displayed on-stage.  and over a different part of your panorama place your corporate graphics and another part of your panorama place your showreel graphics etc.

this movieclip will contain 1 frame.

you would then drag your movieclip onto the main timeline (and give it an instance name, say mainMC).  you should be able to see that by controlling (tweening with actionscript) the x property of mainMC you will be moving the various "pages" of your display on-stage.  by using an actionscript tween you can specify how long (in seconds) to tween to a destination x property of mainMC so all your pages' "load" duration will be the same.

if your buttons are movieclip buttons, you can code this entire project in less than 20 easy lines of code.  and it should look very nice with that high resolution panorama.  we'll get to that code once you get the above done.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                    Spalding H Level 1

Thanks for this... I've done what you've suggested - at least I think I have. So should I have all the buttons, graphics etc on one layer and the panorama on another, or everything except the actions on one layer?

S

• 7. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

it doesn't matter about the layers.  except for depth control they only exist for editing convenience.

ok, so let's say you want mainMC.x = x1 to tween when your entersite button is clicked and mainMC.x=x2 to tween onto the stage when home is clicked and mainMC.x=x3 to tween onto the stage when contents is clicked etc.  you could use:

import fl.transitions.Tween;

import fl.transitions.easing.*;

var tween:Tween;

entersite.target = x1;

home.target = x2;

contents.target = x3;

about.target = x4;

etc

var buttonA:Array=[entersite,home,contents,about,corporate,showreel,contacts];

for(var i:uint=0;i<buttonA.length;i++){

buttonA[i].addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,buttonF);

}

function buttonF(e:MouseEvent){

tween = new Tween(mainMC,"x",Strong.EaseIn,mainMC.x,e.currentTarget.target,2,true);  // <- adjust the tweens parameters to suit your needs

}

• 8. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                        Spalding H Level 1

thanks, kglad.

I'm working on it now. I just have a few questions. When I create my buttons - let's say take the 'about' button for example. My 'about' button is going

to be on the contents page, the showreel page, the contact page etc. Should I create the first button and then copy and paste it onto the other pages. Should these buttons have different instance names: e.g about_btn_on_contentsPage, about_btn_on_showreelPage, about_btn_on_contactPage.

Also what am I defining with the code below? is x the position on the x axis?

mainMC.x = x1

entersite.target = x1;

The reason I ask is because I have 17 of these errors:

scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 2

description

1120: Access of undefined property x1   

source

mainMC.x = x1

thanks,

Spaldo

• 9. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                          Spalding H Level 1

these are the errors I'm getting now after a little tinkering. note: i'm not using the full sized images for the panorama at this stage, just practicing with smaller images

Location:               Scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 5

Description:           1120: access of undefined property home

Source:                  home.target = x1268;

Location:               Scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 5

Description:           1120: access of undefined property  x1268

Source:                  home.target = x1268;

Location:               Scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 6

Description:           1120: access of undefined property contents

Source:                  contents.target = x764;

Location:               Scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 6

Description:           1120: access of undefined property x764

Source:                  contents.target = x764;

Location:               Scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 7

Description:           1120: access of undefined property corporate

Source:                  corporate.target = x251;

Location:               Scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 7

Description:           1120: access of undefined property x251

Source:                 corporate.target = x251;

Location:               Scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 8

Description:           1120: access of undefined property about

Source:                 corporate.target = x-257;

Location:               Scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 9

Description:           1120: access of undefined property showreel

Source:                 corporate.target = x-766;

Location:               Scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 10

Description:           1120: access of undefined property contact

Source:                 contact.target = x-1278.8;

Location:               Scene 1, layer 'actions', frame 1, line 12

Description:          1120: access of undefined property enter_site_btn

Source:                 var buttonA:Array =[enter_site_btn,...

Description:          1120: access of undefined property about_btn

Description:          1120: access of undefined property corporate_btn

Description:          1120: access of undefined property showreel_btn

Description:          1120: access of undefined property contact_btn

• 10. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

home, corporate etc should be the instance names of your buttons.  x1 etc should be numbers you use to move your panorama to the desired x coordinate.

are your buttons, movieclip buttons or simple/true buttons?

• 11. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                              Spalding H Level 1

They're true buttons

• 12. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

then you can't create properties (like target) for your buttons.  that's a major reason you shouldn't use simple buttons.

so, now you can either create movieclip buttons or create some way to associate each button with the target x value that you want to use to direct mainMC when the button is clicked.

it's much easier to use movieclip buttons.

• 13. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                  Spalding H Level 1

I deleted the simple buttons and created MC buttons to replace them with, but I'm still getting the 1120 errors???

• 14. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

copy and paste the error messages.

• 15. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                      Spalding H Level 1

they are the same errors as posted above.

thanks,

S

• 16. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

then you haven't made all the needed corrections recommended above.

• 17. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                          Spalding H Level 1

I've attached my fla test if it is any help

• 18. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                            Spalding H Level 1

actually, they're slightly different. I have attached an .fla

S

• 19. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                              Spalding H Level 1

I'm sorry. I can't seem to attach my files. My issues are: 1120 problems undefined properties. I have used the code above (perhaps a little to literally??)

Spaldo

• 20. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

show the code you're using.

• 21. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                  Spalding H Level 1

stop();

home.target = x1268;
                                                  contents.target = x764;
                                                  corporate.target = x251;
                                                  about.target = x-257;
                                                  showreel.target = x-766;
                                                  contact.target = x-1278.8;

var buttonA:Array=[enter_site_mc,about_mc,corporate_mc,showreel_mc,contact_mc];
                                                  }

function buttonF(e:MouseEvent){
                                                      tween = new
                                                      Tween(mainMC,"x",Strong.easeIn,mainMC.x,e.currentTarget.target,2,true);
                                                      //<-adjust the tweens parameters to suit your needs
                                                  }

thanks

• 22. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

what's x and x1268 and x764 and x251???  and what are home, contents corporate etc?

1.  all your movieclip buttons should have a target property

2.  all the target properties need to be numbers.  they are the numbers you want your panorama to tween to when the corresponding button is clicked.

• 23. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                      Mister Maw

I think the code is incomplete

• 24. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                        Spalding H Level 1

Hi,

they are my x co-ordinates. The home page's reference (registration?) point is at pixel number 1268 on the x axis, contents is on pixel number 764 etc.

I thought they were my target properties.

is my code below the wrong code for targeting properties?

home.target = x1268

contents.target = x764

The adobe help page says a target should look something like this: public function get target():DisplayObject (whatever that means)

thanks

• 25. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

home.target=1268;

contents.target=764;

would be correct if you had buttons named home and contents.  but looking at the buttonA array, it doesn't appear you have such buttons.

1 person found this helpful
                                                          • 26. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                            Spalding H Level 1

ok... I'm going to scrap my project, and start a new one... following your instructions to the letter. Hopefully I'll

get there this time!!

• 27. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                              Spalding H Level 1

ok... this isn't working for me.

these are my errors:

1120: Access of undefined property mainMC.         Tween(mainMC,"x", Strong.easeIn,MainMC.x,e.currentTarget.target,2, true);

1120: Access of undefined property about_mc.       about_mc.target = x-795.6;

1120: Access of undefined property contact_mc.    contact_mc.target = x-1597.1;

1120: Access of undefined property showreel_mc.     showreel_mc.target = -2398.4;

1120: Access of undefined property corporate_mc.     corporate_mc.target = -3199.9;

1120: Access of undefined property about_mc.       var buttonA:Array=[about_mc,contact_mc,showreel_mc,corporate_mc];

1120: Access of undefined property contact_mc.    var buttonA:Array=[about_mc,contact_mc,showreel_mc,corporate_mc];

1120: Access of undefined property showreel_mc.     var buttonA:Array=[about_mc,contact_mc,showreel_mc,corporate_mc];

1120: Access of undefined property corporate_mc.     var buttonA:Array=[about_mc,contact_mc,showreel_mc,corporate_mc];

this is my code:

stop();

about_mc.target = x-795.6;
                                                              contact_mc.target = x-1597.1;
                                                              showreel_mc.target = -2398.4;
                                                              corporate_mc.target = -3199.9;

var buttonA:Array=[about_mc,contact_mc,showreel_mc,corporate_mc];
                                                              }

function buttonF(e:MouseEvent)
                                                              {
                                                                  tween = new
                                                                  Tween(mainMC,"x", Strong.easeIn,MainMC.x,e.currentTarget.target,2, true);
                                                              }

my buttons all have the correct instance names as far as I can tell.

Oh the frustration!

Spaldo

• 28. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                                Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This sounds like a matter of either instance names not being assigned, or instances being inside another symbol without targeting the container, or instances not being in the presence of code, or possibly things being tweened into place without having instance names assigned at every keyframe.  There's maybe one or two more possibilities, but work your way thru those and see if any apply.

• 29. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

you don't have a movieclip with instance name mainMC.  it doesn't matter what name is in the library.  it's the name in the properties panel when you click on your movieclip that matters.
                                                                  1120: Access of undefined property mainMC.         Tween(mainMC,"x", Strong.easeIn,MainMC.x,e.currentTarget.target,2, true);

remove x

1120: Access of undefined property about_mc.       about_mc.target = x-795.6;

remove x

1120: Access of undefined property contact_mc.    contact_mc.target = x-1597.1;

1120: Access of undefined property showreel_mc.     showreel_mc.target = -2398.4;

1120: Access of undefined property corporate_mc.     corporate_mc.target = -3199.9;

you don't have movieclips with these instance names.  again click on the movieclip buttons and check the properties panel

1120: Access of undefined property about_mc.       var buttonA:Array=[about_mc,contact_mc,showreel_mc,corporate_mc];

1120: Access of undefined property contact_mc.    var buttonA:Array=[about_mc,contact_mc,showreel_mc,corporate_mc];

1120: Access of undefined property showreel_mc.     var buttonA:Array=[about_mc,contact_mc,showreel_mc,corporate_mc];

1120: Access of undefined property corporate_mc.     var buttonA:Array=[about_mc,contact_mc,showreel_mc,corporate_mc];

this is my code:

stop();

about_mc.target = x-795.6;
                                                                  contact_mc.target = x-1597.1;
                                                                  showreel_mc.target = -2398.4;
                                                                  corporate_mc.target = -3199.9;

var buttonA:Array=[about_mc,contact_mc,showreel_mc,corporate_mc];
                                                                  }

function buttonF(e:MouseEvent)
                                                                  {
                                                                      tween = new
                                                                      Tween(mainMC,"x", Strong.easeIn,MainMC.x,e.currentTarget.target,2, true);
                                                                  }

my buttons all have the correct instance names as far as I can tell.

Oh the frustration!

Spaldo

• 30. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                                    Spalding H Level 1

I'm getting somewhere because I'm down to 8 errors, rather than 14. I still have the button errors, but the problem I think might be that I only have one movie clip on my timeline. All of the buttons are on that one movie clip. If I open up the movieclip by double clicking the stage, I can see the individual properties for each button.

The instance names are as following: 'about_mc' which is an instance of about_mc, 'showreel_mc' which is an instance of showreel_mc etc.

cheers,

S.H

• 31. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

If the buttons are inside a movieclip, and your code is not, then you need to give the movieclip an instance name and have the code target the buttons via the movieclip...

mcName.btnName.etc...

• 32. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                                        Spalding H Level 1

I'm sure you have the answer to my problem right there - the code is in the timeline not with the buttons in the library - but I'm not

sure how to target the buttons via the movieclip.

Should I use this code: mainMC.about_mc.showreel_mc ? It doesn't look right. This is my first (and probably last!) site, and I'm really

unsure about how to write the code.

• 33. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

The targeting depends on what timeline the code is in versus where the target is.  For instance, if your code is in the main/root timeline, and there is a movieclip with an instance name "mainMC", and mainMC contains a movieclip with an instance name navBtnsMC, and navBtnsMC contains the buttons, then to target the buttons you'd use. mainMC.navBtnsMC.btn1....

Your best bet is to assign your instance names if they aren't already and try.  It will get you closer than stopping at not being sure.

• 34. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                                            Spalding H Level 1

sorry Ned, I should have been more clear. I did give it a go but had no success.

my main movie clip is called Background_mc. It has an instance name of Background_mc. When I double click the main movieclip (Background_mc) I enter that clip. On that clip there are the following buttons about_mc with the instance name about_mc, contact_mc with the instance name contact_mc, showreel_mc with the instance name showreel_mc, corporate_mc with the instance name corporate_mc, and music_mc with the instance name music_mc. These are definitely my instance names and button names.

Underneath the code I posted above, I wrote this code to try and target the buttons

Background_mc.about_mc

Background_mc.contact_mc...

that didn't work so I tried...

Background_mc.about_mc.contact_mc.music_mc...

but that didn't work either.

Then I looked in the help menu on how to set a target and it was just confusing.

???

thanks for your persistance

S

• 35. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

Based on what you said...

Background_mc.about_mc

should target the about_mc button from the main timeline.  But...

Background_mc.about_mc.contact_mc.music_mc...

is going absolutely nowhere.  It would be indicating that Background_mc contains about_mc, about_mc contains contact_mc, contact_mc contains music_mc...  which is not what you described

Also, Background_mc.about_mc by itself is doing nothing.  While it is the correct way to target the about_mc from the maintimeline, it isn't doing anything with the target, such as (just some examples)...

Background_mc.about_mc.gotoAndPlay(2);

Background_mc.about_mc.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, someFunction);

Background_mc.about_mc.visible = true;

Targeting something without some command to act on it is not going to do anything.

• 36. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                                                Spalding H Level 1

Thanks. I'm bewildered. kglad was kind enough to give me the code I am using. I don't think it works though. I have followed the instructions exactly.

I am wondering if there is an easier way to do this? I thought the code would link the buttons to the main movieclip. Obviously not. I have attempted to get my head around Ned's advice. And it seems he is right the buttons need to be linked to the main timeline. I'm wondering if I should just put the buttons themselves on the main movieclip to save myself some trouble. I actually attempted it, but the timeline keeps rolling over even though I've got a stop(); action right at the beginning.

• 37. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

If you can save your fla as a CS3 file and can make it available online, I can take a look at it (I don't have CS4).  The upload feature of these forums is highly unreliable, so it's better to avoid using it.

• 38. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline

yikes, i can't believe you're still working on this.

the code i originally gave you is all that's needed.  i'll try and attach a sample file.  if that fails, i'll upload it and post a link.

• 39. Re: targeting sections when playing timeline
                                                                                      Spalding H Level 1

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

1 2 Previous Next