9 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2009 2:57 PM by Bill_Janes

Workflow from Canon to Raw image in PS CS4

kparton1976

Hello,

I apologize if I am in the wrong place with this question.  I have a Canon Rebel XSi that I am learning to use and also have CS4.  I've been working through Kelby's 7 step book with Photoshop and am ready to start working on my own photos, but I realized that I don't know how to get a RAW file from my camera into photoshop.  I was wondering if you all could help with the workflow.  Right now, this is what I do:

1) Take the picture in RAW

2) Connect the camera to my MacBook Pro running the latest version of OSX

3) iPhoto opens and I import the pictures I want

4) Export pictures from iPhoto in the "Current" format/file type (this is now a .CR2 file)

5) Open Photoshop

6) Open the photo in Camera Raw

Unfortunately, when I do this, I get some stock image that it not my picture.  I don't get an error, but I also don't get my picture.

Is this an issue I can fix solely with photoshop, or is my process of going through iPhoto causing a problem?  Is there any way you know of that I can view the pictures on my Canon as files (like the camera is an external drive) rather than having to import everything through iPhoto?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Workflow from Canon to Raw image in PS CS4
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Jeeeesh...what you have is a terribly convoluted workflow mess bud...personally, I would quit using iPhoto (don't let IT import your images) and learn how to use Bridge to ingest and manage your images. That or get Lightroom. Sorry, but iPhoto is gonna be causing all manner of problems and grief.

• 2. Re: Workflow from Canon to Raw image in PS CS4
            John Joslin Level 6

And using a card reader is preferable to connecting the camera directly to the computer.

• 3. Re: Workflow from Canon to Raw image in PS CS4
              kparton1976 Level 1

After some additional Internet searches, I bought a card reader yesterday.  Got home from work too late to test it out, but should figure it out tonight.  none of the importers seem to be that useful.

Thanks for the help.

• 4. Re: Workflow from Canon to Raw image in PS CS4
                Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kparton1976 wrote:

none of the importers seem to be that useful.

In Bridge, have you tried choosing File > Get Photos from Camera? If you use that utility (the Adobe Photo Downloader) in place of iPhoto, your steps above would be reduced to:

1. Put card in reader

2. Let Adobe Photo Downloader import raw photos into Bridge

3. Double-click any raw photo to open it in Camera Raw

Adobe Photo Downloader also has much more powerful and flexible camera importing options than iPhoto does, and you certainly won't have to export or convert them.

• 5. Re: Workflow from Canon to Raw image in PS CS4
                  kparton1976 Level 1

I haven't tried that, but I did hook up my card reader.  Once I put in my card, I was able to pull RAW images from the card directly using Finder.  Then I just opened these in Camera Raw in photoshop.  Is there any reason I should use Bridge instead of doing this?

• 6. Re: Workflow from Canon to Raw image in PS CS4
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

kparton1976 wrote:

Is there any reason I should use Bridge instead of doing this?

Just convenience.  Try it and you'll see.  The Bridge Photo Downloader can do a whole bunch of stuff for you, including creating folders by date on the fly.

But using the Finder is also fine.  Safe and straightforward.

Whatever suits you best.

• 7. Re: Workflow from Canon to Raw image in PS CS4
                      Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kparton1976 wrote:

Is there any reason I should use Bridge instead of doing this?

It largely depends on how many images you are dealing with. If you're just editing one or two images per shoot, then you can keep doing it the way you're doing it.

But if you're going to work on many images, Bridge and the Adobe Photo Downloader give you a lot more options that might save you a lot of time and labor:

• Import an entire card at once, or any selected pictures you preview, without needing to drag and drop
                      • Automatically send photos to your hard drive in folders organized by shot date as they come in
                      • Batch-rename files as they come in
                      • Apply your copyright, keywords, etc. in bulk as each photo comes in
                      • Compare and closely inspect the photos in Bridge, better than you can in the Finder, before you open the photos in Camera Raw
                      • Edit images in bulk in Camera Raw within Bridge, without having to open Photoshop at all until you need it
                      • Automatically make a second copy of every image in a backup folder, even on another disk

If you take advantage of customizing the import options, all you would have to do is sit back, click once, and let all the photos import to your specifications. Personally, I think the greater control and automation is easier, faster, and more powerful than using the Finder to track down the images I want and having to manually drag and drop them to the right folders.

Maybe you don't need it now, but if your shot volume goes up, drag-and-drop really will turn into a drag.

• 8. Re: Workflow from Canon to Raw image in PS CS4
                        Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

To quote the immortal Snoopy in Peanuts;

"Until you see it demonstrated, it's easy to forget the difference between the mere amateur and the thorough professional."

This is why Conrad's book is often recommended. 

Thank you for elaborating, Conrad.

• 9. Re: Workflow from Canon to Raw image in PS CS4
                          Bill_Janes Level 2

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

This is why Conrad's book is often recommended. 

IMHO, Conrads book (Real World Photoshop CS4) is the best overal reference for PS, but if you are interested in learning Camera Raw, you should also get the Real World Camera Raw for CS4 by Schewe and Fraser. I would recommend getting both. Personally, I am not a big fan of Kelby's books.