3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2009 12:16 PM by the_wine_snob

The new help setup... Confusing

HarryPutnam Level 1

Maybe someone can guide me a bit with the help system that comes with the suites for CS4.

I liked the older setup where your search was automatically restricted to the help file you were using.

A search would return all the places in the specific product help file where you terms appeared.

Now it wants to jump online and get all tangled up with other sorts of resources.  Eventually you find a way to select your product for a search but even then the results do not appear to be restricted to that products help and is actually very confusing... and not very helpful... at least not without putting in major time to  try to figure out how to use it.

If I disable my internet connection,,, then I finally get something that looks something like the older format  but it has a huge shortcoming.

No way to search... at least I cannot find a search box.

Any one here that can explain how best to use this new setup?

• 1. Re: The new help setup... Confusing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Harry,

Though I have not used the CS4 suite Help files, I feel your pain. I am finding that each generation and iteration of Help files (not just Adobe here) gets more convoluted, and as you say, "less helpful."

With the Seach features in document types, like PDF, getting more refined, I find that on-line Help is stumbling badly. [Kinda' like the Search on the new fora - let's just HOPE that it's a "work in progress... "]

Soon, the manuals (if there ARE manuals) will be one page with one block of text on that page, "See the Help files!" Yeah, like that is actually going to "help." That is what your post is all about.

Just from reading your article, I completely understand, and I do not even need to experience it firsthand. That will come, and maybe by then you'll post of a way out of the morass.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: The new help setup... Confusing
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you click on Premiere Pro Help (web) you come to the page Using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, check the box in the right upper corner for This Help System Only and at the bottom of the page you can set your preferences.

• 3. Re: The new help setup... Confusing
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

That sounds like a good answer. Hope that it helps Harry - and others.

Hunt