5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 8:34 AM by the_wine_snob

Please help me mute a video clip

Rich_P7 Level 1

Hi, I have muted a lot of clips in my video by dragging the horizontal volume bar (that goes accross the volume track on the video) to the bottom. However on one of my clips this bar has changed to have a different function. Dragging it to the bottom seems to move the sound to the left speaker, but it doesn't mute it. When it is at the bottom it says 100.0. I must have done something to change this from a volume control to another type of control. How can I change it back? Thank you.

Rich

• 1. Re: Please help me mute a video clip
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

Sounds like it has become associated with the Balance adjustment.

For me, the easiest way is to use the Window>Audio Mixer. There, you can set everything at once.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Please help me mute a video clip
            Ed.Macke Level 3

This happened to me and it took a few minutes to figure out.

On the audio track itself, in the header, most clips will say "Volume". That is telling you what the yellow line controls.

On your audio track, look at the problem clip and it will say "Balance" (or something like that). Click on it to change it back to Volume.

• 3. Re: Please help me mute a video clip
              Rich_P7 Level 1

Oh yes - I didn't even notice it said balance!. Thanks for all the help It's back to doing the volume now.

• 4. Re: Please help me mute a video clip
                Ed.Macke Level 3

Don't feel bad - it's very subtle and easy to inadvertently change and miss.

To make matters worse, the line is always yellow... maybe if volume was yellow and balance was green... something like that... it'd be easier to notice.

• 5. Re: Please help me mute a video clip
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In some NLE's these are different colors. However, most of those programs are designed to be worked with on very, very large displays, and probably 2-3 of them.

Even on my workstation with dual 21" CRT's, I seldom use the "rubber bands" for anything. If it's an Audio Clip, I'm working in the Audio Mixer. If it's, say Opacity, then I'm in the Effects Control Panel. Personally, I wish that Adobe offered a way to turn these totally OFF, so I would never run the risk of accitdently moving one. I find that I keep Ctrl-z handy, in case I inadvertently grabbed one.

Other people love them, and use them all of the time. I've seen some, who are so quick with them, that I am totally amazed.

Thanks to Ed, you got the "cure."

Hunt