3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 7:47 AM by A.T. Romano

DVD RAM Support for DVD-VIDEO

A.T. Romano Level 7

Although Premiere Elements 7 Burn to Disc will recognize/support a DVD-RW disc as well as DVD-R, DVD+R , and DVD+R DL, it will not recognize/support a DVD RAM disc (I do have a DVD burner that supports DVD-RAM.

This is the first time that I have tried using a DVD-RAM disc for Premiere Elements Burn to Disc, so I am not sure if this is a known non support issue or whether it should work and I should troubleshoot further. I have not yet found any links that mention this. I think that I recall that DVD-VIDEO on a DVD-RAM disc has a different folder/file structure than DVD-VIDEO on a non DVD-RAM disc and suspect that could be involved.

I can burn to DVD-RAM files outside of Premiere Elements.

Any comments would be appreciated.

ATR

• 1. Re: DVD RAM Support for DVD-VIDEO
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Since the main purpose of a DVD burn is to create a disc that will play on a standalone DVD player and TV, Tony, I'm not sure the value of supporting DVD-RAM disc burning.

Still, since Premiere Elements just provides DVD data, I suppose it might work if your burner burned DVD-RAMs.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DVD RAM Support for DVD-VIDEO
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

I realize that your question is specific to PE. Unfortunately, I do not have an answer for you. I have never tried this from either PE, or Encore2.

Now, I do believe that ImgBurn supports RAM discs just fine, so long as the burner/media is capable. In your case, it it. If you find that PE is not capable, and you wish to use this media, you might give this program a try with a Video folder, Burned to disk.

Sorry that I do not have an answer for you,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DVD RAM Support for DVD-VIDEO
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Thank you and SG for your responses.

Several of my TV's DVD Recorder features are not available with the use of a regular DVD disc and require a DVD RAM disc (chapters, etc.) So I decided to do some experimenting and cross checking of the DVD Recorder and my computer DVD-RAM supported DVD burner/Premiere Elements with regard to disc types for DVD-VIDEO. That is what got us to my question.

Several months ago, I got involved in someone else's issue where he could not rip content from a DVD disc which had its origins in a camcorder that recorded to either a DVD-R or DVD-RAM disc. I suspect that my mini test ran into similar issues, that is, DVD-R with the recording format of DVD-VIDEO and DVD-RAM with the recording format of VR. (I added this explanation to clean up my previous misspoken comment about DVD-VIDEO format having a different folder/file structure depending on whether a DVD-R or DVD RAM was involved.)