9 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2009 6:30 AM by Frédéric Leclair

ProspectHD - AE CS4 gets error (0 :: 42) on startup

Frédéric Leclair Level 1
      I tried installing ProspectHD trial with After Effects CS4 and I got (0 :: 42) error at opening after having working only once with it.

I searched web for code and forums and it said it`s preferences, OpenGL or pluggins.

I have desinstalled ProspectHD trial and fixed problem.

I`d like to know before buying if this (0 :: 42) bug is known and if it occurs often ?

I'm under Windows Vista 64-bit on a PC.
        • 1. Re: ProspectHD - AE CS4 gets error (0 :: 42) on startup
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

The 0::42 error message is very generic. I would contact the developer and ask if an updated version for CS4 is or will be available. Apparently, version 4.01 is out for this purpose? I have no experience with this product, though.

• 2. Re: ProspectHD - AE CS4 gets error (0 :: 42) on startup
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's most likely an issue in the CoDec itself. The Cineform stuff can be rather touchy. When IO had to download the CoDecs (as demos) to view some files in the past, I had nothing but crashes in CS3 and CS4, but they worked perfectly in 6.5. So probably it's a resource problem with MediaCore vs. Cineform. In any case - they should know abouts such things and may have some tips regarding configuring the Codecs to run safely or an update/ patch, that may resolve the issue, but has not yet been rolled into the demo.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: ProspectHD - AE CS4 gets error (0 :: 42) on startup
              Frédéric Leclair Level 1

The trial version is supposed to be exact same thing as current build, but we'll soon know I bought ProspectHD so I'll post about my experience...

Regarding new update from ADOBE; I know they are supposed to release a mega update for Premiere Pro CS4, due anytime after NAB ended, might be be they will release one for AE too.

• 4. Re: ProspectHD - AE CS4 gets error (0 :: 42) on startup

Adobe doesn't need to release an update for this specific issue. If it crashes on launch, it's the codec developer who needs to release an update for their product.

I mentioned in another thread that After Effects will get a bugfix update. But I don't know if it will help with this particular issue, which sounds like something Cineform should take care of.

The Prospect HD 4.01 update seems to bring CS4 compatibility, but it's not entirely clear if they mean Premiere Pro or also After Effects. Make sure the trial version is also 4.01.

• 5. Re: ProspectHD - AE CS4 gets error (0 :: 42) on startup
                  Frédéric Leclair Level 1

Here the weel starts spining (sob)... Cineform says it works fine.

Hummm feels like familiar terrain.

Ya trial version is 4.0.1 build 210 confirmed.

• 6. Re: ProspectHD - AE CS4 gets error (0 :: 42) on startup

I'll try the trial and let you know.

• 7. Re: ProspectHD - AE CS4 gets error (0 :: 42) on startup
                      Frédéric Leclair Level 1

Thank you Adolfo.

Cause I bought ProspectHD this morning going on with David Newman's word that it worked fine in AE CS4.

So far it doesn't and it even messed up my AspectHD which used to allow to open Cineform's project in AE CS4 (but not to interact with them much).

Now I get error (0 :: 42) when I try to open projects with AspectHD or crash on AE opening if I try to use ProspectHD.

Note that I uninstall each of those before trying the other and do not keep them on computer to avoid codec mix up.

• 8. Re: ProspectHD - AE CS4 gets error (0 :: 42) on startup

Frédéric:

After Effects CS4 9.01 launches and works fine here after installing ProspectHD 4.01 in Win XP.

Anything I could say would be pure speculation.

• 9. Re: ProspectHD - AE CS4 gets error (0 :: 42) on startup
                          Frédéric Leclair Level 1

I managed to accidentaly fix it byt uninstalling all and clearing folder and installing prospect one last time to have it there for when I finally get someone to help me troubleshoot it for tech support. I tried logging in AE one last time and it was fixed !

I managed to open a few project files and work 3-4 hour with it.

I noticed 2 strange things:

1 -) When I scrub or go from frame to fram with Page Up/down, I only see 1 frame every 2 frames.

2-) I sometimes had black screen with artefacts of pink and white colors; they looked like inteferances on a video communication straight from a cheap

80s scifi TV movie.

Probably a codec related bugs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One day later I open my project file click in a random place in timeline to see frame, I then get error (5065 :: 0) followed by 3 error (0 :: 42).

Then back to crashing upon opening.

Reading about error (5065 :: 0) it recalled me that the project was in full res display (my colorist was using this on his Mac with AE CS3 to display on his hdtv be fore I transfered corrected project to this current machine). Seems according to Mylenium's site that this can cause that bug.

I'll try to redo steps I did that caused my prospecthd to work, but this feels pretty flimsy, there's something deeper that remain unfix to have AE so unstable.