8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2012 11:18 AM by awesomeopposum

Can't add layer markers on the fly with Mac laptop

blessbaby70

I've been trying to figure this out for hours now!!! I'm on a Mac Intel Core 2 Duo laptop running 10.5.6. I'm using After Effects CS3 Professional. All I want to do is RAM preview an audio file from inside a composition, and add layer markers on the fly. Apparently this is easy with a desktop using the numeric keypad. I remapped the shorcut in the Preferences text file so that "Add Marker" is now F12 - nice and easy! (and no, it's not conflicting with the the OS Dashboard shortcut - I turned that off). In any case, I tried a number of others as well. The problem is, no matter what the shortcut, when I try adding the layer marker with the shortcut the file stops playing! So annoying! I want to add a number of layer markers timed to the beat, but as soon as I do the damned RAM preview stops! I can't mark key points in the composition!! Any help would be MUCH appreciated...

- Bryan

• 1. Re: Can't add layer markers on the fly with Mac laptop
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

We had a discussion on this several months ago, but I think this is unresolvable. I believe we came to the conclusion that this is a general problem with how MBP keyboards intercept shortcuts due to there keyboard mapping. Buying an external keyboard therfore would be sensible, if this is a regular workflow.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't add layer markers on the fly with Mac laptop
            blessbaby70 Level 1

Mylenium,

Thanks. That at least puts my mind at ease. It seems a bit strange though - I imagine there are hordes of Mac laptop-wielding After Effects users. In Brooklyn alone there are probably thousands. There coffee shop workflow must be seriously debilitated

- B

• 3. Re: Can't add layer markers on the fly with Mac laptop
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

People have been using external numeric keypads (not full keyboards) to get around this problem with the new MacBook Pro keyboards. There's even an iPhone app that makes your iPhone into an external numeric keypad.

• 4. Re: Can't add layer markers on the fly with Mac laptop
                blessbaby70 Level 1

Todd, I downloaded the iPhone app - NumberKey from Balmuda Design. Holy crap, what a find! works like a charm. for anyone having this same problem on a Mac laptop, check out NumberKey. It costs $1.99 (I'm not a salesman for the product, by the way). Unlike most iPhone apps, there is a desktop component that needs to be downloaded as well - it didn't come through when i purchased the iphone component and i had to do a search. you can use either a wi-fi connection or you can create a local "network" under system preferences/newtwork/airport (I had to do this, as my iPhone couldn't connect to the public WiFi where I'm working). in the end, all is smooth sailing: I RAM preview my music files in AE and hit the * key on my new iPhone number pad and I can mark layers on the fly - just like it's supposed to work

Thanks

• 5. Re: Can't add layer markers on the fly with Mac laptop
                  sn0wctrl Level 1

Hi there

I hope it's ok to continue this old thread - as I'm having a very similar problem, but with a PC laptop

I want to re-map the numeric-keypad-star key so I can hit markers on the fly while ram previewing (my laptop has no numeric keypad), but I don't know what the shortcut is called in order to be able to find it to re-map it!!  Can anyone tell me what the shortcut is called?

Also from this thread it seems even if I do re-map it may not work - can anyone tell me whether this will be the case for a PC?  I'm using a Dell Studio 1557 Core i7 with Win7 64bit, running After Effects CS4

All advice appreciated

Thanks

jON

• 6. Re: Can't add layer markers on the fly with Mac laptop
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Adobe Exchange --> KeyEdUp script. Else manually edit the shortcuts:

C:\Users\You\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\9.0\After Effects 9.0 Shortcuts.txt

The comamnd is here:

["CCompCmd"]
                        "AddLayerMarkerWithDialog" = "(Alt+PadMultiply)"
                        "AddMarker" = "(PadMultiply)"

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Can't add layer markers on the fly with Mac laptop
                      sn0wctrl Level 1

Ace thanks

I'd tried the KeyEdUp script but got stuck through not knowing what that particular shortcut was called - so I couldn't find it to change it

Sorted now

Thanks

jON

• 8. Re: Can't add layer markers on the fly with Mac laptop
                        awesomeopposum
                        In case someone else searches for this:
                        If you use a wacom, or other pen tablet, a solution is to map one of the keys to ctrl-8 (mac version).. this allows you to drop markers while a song is playing without stopping.
                        Works the same as an external keyboard.