22 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2009 7:38 AM by John.Kordas

CS3 JS fonts example script

John.Kordas Level 1

I've been changing the fonts example script and would like to apply the font type as the script creates the string of font names.

I've added the line  myString.appliedFont = app.fonts.item(myFontNames[myCounter]); which should apply the font type but it does not.

for(var myCounter = 0;myCounter<myFontNames.length; myCounter++){
          myString.appliedFont = app.fonts.item(myFontNames[myCounter]);
          myString += myFontNames[myCounter] + "\r";
          }
      myStory.contents = myString;

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John.

• 1. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
          Dave Saunders Level 4

It looks like myString is a JavaScript string. That means it doesn't have an appliedFont property.

But JavaScript lets you add a property in just the way you're doing except that the meaning of the property is completely arbitrary and not something that gets carried into the text when you set the story contents.

You need to use appliedFont in relation to text in the document not strings in JavaScript space.

Dave

• 2. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
            John.Kordas Level 1

Hi Dave,

Hope you are well. Could I do a search for text then change the character style of that text?

Something like:

app.findTextPreferences.findWhat = "911 Porscha    Regular";

var myTextChange = app.documents.item(0).findText();

myTextChange.appliedFont = app.fonts.itemByName(myFontNames[0]);

Cheers, John.

• 3. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
              Dave Saunders Level 4

Something like that. But don't forget that a search returns an array, even if there's only one hit.

Dave

• 4. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                John.Kordas Level 1

I was trying

app.findTextPreferences.findWhat = "911 Porscha    Regular";

$.write (myTextChange.length)

myTextChange.appliedFont = app.fonts.itemByName(myFontNames[0]);

And the console was returning 1 which did not make scene untill I tried:

$.write (myTextChange.constructor.name)  which rerturned Array.

Then I used

$.write (myTextChange[0].length) which returns 19 but how do I return the value because myTextChange[0].value or .name does not work.

Cheers John.

• 5. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                  Dave Saunders Level 4

What value? You mean the contents of the text?

Remember, the result of a find is an array of text references.

So, when you asked for the length of the first found item, it told you there were 19 characters.

Dave

• 6. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                    John.Kordas Level 1

Ok I might be going about this the wrong way.

I ran the FontCollections.jsx which is in the SDK and I get a page with a textFrame and a list of the application fonts. The textFrame uses the default Time Roman typeface. The first font in my list is "911 Porscha    Regular"

In my first post I thought that I might be able to apply the font type to each entry but I don't think this will work as it is a string.

So is it possible to select the text in the textFrame app.findTextPreferences.findWhat = "911 Porscha    Regular"; Then change the type face to match the description?

Can this be done?

John.

I think this might do it  myTextChange[0].appliedFont = app.fonts.itemByName(myFontNames[0]);

Message was edited by: John Kordas

• 7. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                      John.Kordas Level 1

I found a slight problem with some fonts. I'm get an error undefined is not an object. I've also worked out that if I use myTextChange[0].contents the font name will be returned in the instance it is a problem font myTextChange[0].contents does not return anything I just get the error message.

Is there a way to skip the loop so if it can not determine the contents just go the the next count?

For example I've tried

for (myCounter = 0; myCounter < myFontNames.length; myCounter++) {

app.findTextPreferences.findWhat = myFontNames[myCounter];

if(myTextChange[0].contents == null)
                      continue

myTextChange[0].appliedFont = app.fonts.itemByName(myFontNames[myCounter]);

but it's not working.

• 8. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                        Dave Saunders Level 4

John,

You're assuming by referring to myTextChange[0] that you always get a hit. Chances are that the error is indicating that nothing was found.

Dave

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                          John.Kordas Level 1

Thanks once again Dave,

the answer was

if(myTextChange[0] != null){
                          myTextChange[0].appliedFont = app.fonts.itemByName(myFontNames[myCounter]);
                          }

Much appreciated.

Cheers John.

• 10. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                            John.Kordas Level 1

Some of the fonts being display in the document are showing up as squares and highlighted pink. I'm gathering that this is because the font does not have any character's for that letter being displayed. I have noticed that I can select the text and right click to select Clear All Overrides which will show the name of the font in the default document text.

Would I be able to script this process?

Select any text that is flagged/highlighted and Clear All Overrides and then change the text color to red.

Cheers, John.

• 11. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                              Dave Saunders Level 4

John,

Look in the Object Model Viewer for Text object methods.

Dave

• 12. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                                John.Kordas Level 1

Hi Dave,

Working my way through I found clearOverrides() under the TextStyleRange classes but I'm not sure how I would first check for it.

Is there a way to check the font first before the font is substituted and highlighted?

Should I run the appliedFont process and then look for fonts substituted?

John

• 13. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                                  John.Kordas Level 1

I realized I was going about it the wrong way. I needed to go back to the beginning.

So using:

var myApplicationFonts = app.fonts;
                                  var myFontNames = myApplicationFonts.everyItem().name

I will get an array of all the fonts. If I use myApplicationFonts.itemByName("font name here") I can access font details.

I'm working through the Font class but have not found any method to check the characters

$.write (myApplicationFonts.itemByName(myFontNames[631]).version)

Is there a way to check if the font has a full set of characters?

Cheers, John.

• 14. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                                    Dave Saunders Level 4

>Is there a way to check if the font has a full set of characters?

Only very slow, convoluted ways. For example, iterate through all possible unicodes and attempt to convert the character to outlines. If successful, there is a character at that code. If not, there isn't.

Dave

• 15. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                                      John.Kordas Level 1

Are there any examples of how to iterate through all possible unicodes?

The font that does not seem to display correctly is Estrangelo Edessa    Regular I've opened the Glyphs panel in InDesign and the font looks fine but in the textFrame in my document it's just showing squares and highlighted in pink.

John.

• 16. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                                        Dave Saunders Level 4

What's the largest unicode? Is it 65535? If so:

for (var j = 0; 65536 > j; j++) {

will do it. Although you might want to start with j = 32.

But that's going to take a long time and come up empty way more often than otherwise.

Look at the text in the text frame with the Info box. Note the unicode values.

Now place some glyphs from the font into the frame using the Glyphs panel. Look at those unicodes.

Sounds like this font has a different encoding from the norm.

Dave

• 18. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                                          Harbs. Level 6

Shane,

Your message was blank...

Harbs

• 19. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                                            sstanleyau Level 4

Thanks, Harbs -- foru software strikes again. Let me try here:

> What's the largest unicode? Is it 65535?

No. From a Unicode FAQ: "The Unicode Standard encodes characters in the range U+0000..U+10FFFF, which is roughly a 21-bit code space." Keep that repeat running :-)

• 20. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                                              John.Kordas Level 1

I've expanded the list to include the A-Z characters. I can select the font type line using

myTextChange[0].lines.item(0).select()

but the characters are on the next line and using

myTextChange[0].lines.nextItem(0).select()

does not work. I've looked at the properties for nextItem(obj) but not sure what the Assigned Story (obj) is.

John

• 21. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                                                Dave Saunders Level 4

The nextItem() method requires an object. You need something like:

var myStory = app.selection[0].parentStory;
                                                var myLine = myStory.lines[0];
                                                var nextLine = myStory.lines.nextItem(myLine).select();

Dave

• 22. Re: CS3 JS fonts example script
                                                  John.Kordas Level 1

Thanks Dave that makes sense now. I also tried this before I saw your example which worked for me in a way.

var chgLetter = myDocument.textFrames.item(0)

chgLetter.parentStory.paragraphs.item(myCounter).appliedFont = app.fonts.itemByName(myFontNames[myCounter]);

For a script that I thought will be simple and should only take a couple of days tops I've hit one problem after another. I can now change the second line which has the A-Z character to the font description on the line above. What I did not count on it that once you change the font style the line length changes so what I was plaining on being on every second line now might be on the 8th and 9th line. I think I'll try paragraphs instead.

Cheers John.