20 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2009 3:18 PM by joshtownsend

CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?

joellandis

After upgrading to Vista Ultimate 64 from XP 32 and from CS3 to CS4, my system no longer seems able to play back  XDCAM (720p60) footage at all. All i get is a frozen video track while the audio track plays in full. Now, given that I did a complete wipe of my system drive, did I miss installing something? I never had any playback issues with CS3. Is it CS4? Vista? Can my system just not handle Vista and CS4?

My specs:

AMD 4400 X2 (2.21ghz)

4GB ram

7200rpm system drive

7200rpm media drive

Nvidia Quadro FX 540

Vista Ultimate 64

CS4

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: Footage plays fine in Avid Media Composer, brought in with DNxHD 145.

• 1. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Other users have reported problems with XDCAM footage in CS4.  I know at least one who has gone back to CS3.

• 2. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
            joellandis Level 1

That isn't quite the answer I wanted to hear, but thanks. I love Premiere to AE, but if I can't edit in Premiere...back to Avid again.

• 3. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

You may want to wait for the 4.1 update that's coming out soon before you give up on Pr.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                joshtownsend Level 2

At least with 4.1 you'll be able to edit in Avid then bring your timline into Premiere so you can end up in AE. Which is want we all want, the most painless way to get our footage moved into After Effects.

BTW is it just me or does it seem like Adobe is making Premiere a 'workaround program' to get Final Cut and Avid timelines into After Effects? Why not let FCP and Avid folk open up directly into AE without having to go through Premiere?

• 5. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                  joshtownsend Level 2

joellandis wrote:

After upgrading to Vista Ultimate 64 from XP 32 and from CS3 to CS4, my system no longer seems able to play back  XDCAM (720p60) footage at all. All i get is a frozen video track while the audio track plays in full. Now, given that I did a complete wipe of my system drive, did I miss installing something? I never had any playback issues with CS3. Is it CS4? Vista? Can my system just not handle Vista and CS4?

My specs:

AMD 4400 X2 (2.21ghz)

4GB ram

7200rpm system drive

7200rpm media drive

Nvidia Quadro FX 540

Vista Ultimate 64

CS4

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: Footage plays fine in Avid Media Composer, brought in with DNxHD 145.

Why even move to Vista 64 without getting more than 4 gigs RAM? CS4 uses alot more system resources than CS3 and your processor is at minimum specs for editing HD. Most likely that's the problem, CS4 is more of a resource hog. It has to process alot more to edit xdcam native than Avid does to play back DNxHD.

• 6. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Why not let FCP and Avid folk open up directly into AE without having to go through Premiere?

Because that way such users will never see for themselves how much 'better' Premeire is than the others.

• 7. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                      joshtownsend Level 2

JSS1138 wrote:

Why not let FCP and Avid folk open up directly into AE without having to go through Premiere?

Because that way such users will never see for themselves how much 'better' Premeire is than the others.

There just trying to keep Premiere relevant I guess.

It's not like FCP and Avid go out of there way make sure you can import Premiere project's........

• 8. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                        RDA972 Level 3

With the following specs, I can edit xdcam ex files from my EX3 as easily as dv(cam) material using PPro CS4:

i7 965 Extreme

Nvidia GTX 280

12 Gigs of RAM

Vista 64 Ultimate.

In other words, don't blame PPro CS4 for your editing woes, the problem lies elsewhere.

Presumably, you need a beefier machine.

• 9. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Two problems, first you are underpowered for HD and second your disk system should be improved.  Either more disks or faster disks (RAID array?) will improve performance.

• 10. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                            don solomon Level 1

CS4 is a resource Hog, and finicky in its present state--unlike CS3 which would run on practically any configuration in its latest version.  Those days are just about gone with the changes in productivity software that the latest round of make it more feature rich than the competition has brought.  And, hardware and camera competition has raised that bar too, so the software houses have to design for those changes. Vicious circle there that leaves folks with older gear struggling at times.  And, of course, all of us struggling with bugs and half realized new features (thank you Adobe)

And that design /feature cycle is done on an Intel centric paradigm and tested on Intel driven machines for the most part.  So, add to the other changes in configuration that you need a 9000 series Quad or higher Intel processor.  The few bucks you save on AMD is never worth it IMO. If you are a gamer and your machine is more of a toy rather than a production tool, then AMD is not a bad choice.

Most importantly do the research necessary to be a winner in the component compatibility lottery.  I build a new Machine every three years, and each time I do, I haunt the forums for the software I use for months to get a strong sense of what components work well with those applications. That planning is critical. I never under build to save money, and I never pay a premium for the leading edge just to stroke my ego and raise my bragging rights, which can sometimes raise the stakes in the compatibility lottery.  I let others do that and learn from their problems.

My present main machine is built on a Asus P5Q, Intel 9550 quad, 8 gigs DDR2, Nvidia 8600GT, Vista Ultimate 64, 3 internal Sata 2 drives, one sata 2 external and two firewire 800 externals. It runs CS4 and other Adobe applications without a  hiccup and a lot of other high end software. It is now 18 months old--and I consider that while it runs the CS4 suite very well, it is at the lower end of ideal power and ram to run this latest round of applications--but its virtue is software compatibility and reliability, which is what I require as a production tool.

I'll probably build my next machine short of 36 months this time around the circle.

• 11. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?

"you need a 9000 series Quad or higher Intel processor"

Just so there is no backtracking on your future choice, at this time that means an i7 series CPU

• 12. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                                don solomon Level 1

No doubt, my next build will be with an i7, 12 gigs or higher.

• 13. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Most importantly do the research necessary to be a winner in the component compatibility lottery

Love that term! Well said,

Hunt

• 14. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                                    joellandis Level 1

Thank you all for the feedback. Sounds like my system is just to old. Luckily I am only a student and my income doesn't depend on this machine (or really anything for that matter...). Guess I'll just work in Avid for the time being. Need to learn it anyways.

Thanks again.

• 15. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?

don solomon wrote:

No doubt, my next build will be with an i7, 12 gigs or higher.

Don you may want to put this one on your list for Christmas or thereabouts.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137401/intel-core-nehalem-ex

Nehalem-EX with 8 real cores per chip and with Hyperthreading 16 threads!!  I bet Harm will have two of these on his list

• 16. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I posted my list yesterday and indeed there were two of them on it, but I'm in doubt whether Santa Claus will deliver my number one priority. My second one was a 48 disk hot swappable rack mount array, of course with triple redundant PSU's and hot swappable fans, to fit in with a Motu V4.The list goes on and on, we'll have to see what Christmas brings...

• 17. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                                          DJ_Smitty

While I do agree that CS4 is a resource hog it isn't as bad as some people here are making it out to be.  If that were the case then CS4 wouldn't run on a laptop at all.  While your system may be older it could still hold it's own compared to many laptops out there today.

As an example I had the same exact problems you are having.  I had a ATI 4670 1 GB of vram video card.  I swapped in an older Nvidia 8400 512 MB vram video card and now I can edit XDCAM EX material in CS4.  CS4 has some bugs that make it eat up a lot of resources on certain combinations of hardware.  I don't know exactly what causes it and some people have had the opposite work for them with video cards.  They moved from Nvidia to ATI and then things worked well.  I think it is somehow realted to certain motherboards combined with certain video cards.

I currently have a AMD Phenom 9500 quad core with 6 GB of ram.  CS4 does run slower then CS3 but at least I can use it now.  I still cannot get CS4 to play back nay effects in realtime but I can now cut and playback.  I can live with that for now until 4.1 or until I get a new faster system.

I also personally feel that CS4 is very badly designed if you need that much beef just to play HD material.  No other system has that problem including CS3.  Sure maybe a bit of performance had to be sacrificed to add new features but this is just sloppy engineering.  I am a developer by trade and I would be out of a job if I created software that had that steep of hardware specs.

I have seen CS4 work very well on a dual core system.  In fact I can play HD material on my single Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz laptop with CS4.

• 18. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                                            joshtownsend Level 2

I'm gonna upgrade when the 8 core comes out under $500. For sure. But my q9550 oc'd to 3.7 with 8 gigs ram is fine until then.

Actually if a 3+ Ghz i7 comes out cheaper I might think about it, especially if I don't have to buy a new motherboard when the 8 cores come out.

• 19. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                                              Actually if a 3+ Ghz i7 comes out cheaper I might think about it, especially if I don't have to buy a new motherboard when the 8 cores come out.

Often people with an i7-920, which is a 2.66 GHz CPU, run it at 3.6 GHZ without any trouble or advanced tweaking. I have managed 4.2 GHz+ although I would not suggest that degree of OC-ing for a video rig. It is only a quad core, but has Hyper Threading so effectively it looks like an 8 core. These CPU's are very affordable. Similarly you can opt for a dual CPU, also Nehalem based like the Xeon 55xx range and that will give you 2 x 4 cores with hyper threading, so effectivel 16 cores.

HOWEVER, NOT with the same motherboard. You need a 1366 socket mobo and DDR3 memory. The next generation i7 will come out with 6 cores plus HT, so effectively 12 cores, based on a 32 nm process and are rumored to run up to 3.3 GHz. That is the next significant step forward.

• 20. Re: CS4 + Vista 64 = choppy?
                                                joshtownsend Level 2

thanks harm