9 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2009 8:37 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Layers get flattened after import in AE CS4

haralambie

I use Photoshop CS4 and AF CS4.  I made 3d layers in PS and when I
      imported them in AF they got flattened.  WHY?

In PS CS4 I made 2 cylinders from flat files, Saved the PSD file then

I used for the import "composition" and "Editatble Layer Styles".  LIve
      Photoshop 3d was checked on.
      After import when I turn the layers, they are paper thin.
      Can you help?

I use a mac.

• 1. Re: Layers get flattened after import in AE CS4
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

But did you open the resulting composition? Dragging the layers to an empty composition has no effect. all of that requires you to open the imported composition due to the workaroundish nature of the whole process. Copy&paste from there to a nerw composition works, though.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Layers get flattened after import in AE CS4
            Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

When you import a Photoshop file with multiple 3D layer(s) as Composition, and you enable the Live Photoshop 3D feature, After Effects creates a a Pre-Comp for each PS 3D layer with a 3D camera that matches the original 3D view/camera in Photoshop.

The reason AE does this is because in Photoshop, each 3D layer has a view or camera that doesn't match or interact with the view or camera for the other 3D layers. Each 3D layer in Photoshop is an independent entity.

The PS 3D layers or Pre-Comps with PS 3D layers are "live" in that you can use the camera inside of each to pan or orbit around the content. You can also use an included "controller" layer to transform the 3D layer (if you rotate or move the controller layer, the PS 3D layer below will react to those changes). But you can't relocate or rotate these PS 3D layers directly, as if they were regular After Effects 3D layers.

In other words, Photoshop 3D layers are supported in After Effects as if they were a 3D aware effect. Like "Shatter", for example. The layer itself is a 2D layer, which renders 3D content.

All of this is clearly explained in the After Effects Help section about Using 3D object layers from Photoshop.

• 3. Re: Layers get flattened after import in AE CS4
              haralambie Level 1

Thanks for the timely reply.

Chad Perkins at Lynda.com has a video where he builds a "City" out of the luminance matte in PS and than he opens the file in AF and pans around it in 3d.  I followed step by step but it didnt work for me... My layer got flattened.

Here it a screen shot.

I wonder if you can figure how he does it.

Thanks

Mitch Anderson

Home Ph (714) 739 1391

Cell Ph (714) 234 8170

Haralambie@yahoo.com

>

Private Fax 208-474-1828

• 4. Re: Layers get flattened after import in AE CS4

Looks like you didn't attach the picture?

In any case, figuring out how it was done by looking at an end result may be really difficult. There can be dozens of ways to get a specific result.

• 5. Re: Layers get flattened after import in AE CS4
                  haralambie Level 1

All my emails to you with a 800k attachment are bouncing back.

I am also having the issue of flattening a layer that was a 3d Hexagon composition once I import it in another composition. Is there a process before I drag and drop a 3d comp in another 3d comp?

Thanks

Mitch Anderson

Home Ph (714) 739 1391

Cell Ph (714) 234 8170

Haralambie@yahoo.com

>

Private Fax 208-474-1828

• 6. Re: Layers get flattened after import in AE CS4

I don't think you can post attachments through e-mail. Post them in the forum thread, which you can find quickly by following the link at the bottom of the notification e-mails.

I am also having the issue of flattening a layer that was a 3d Hexagon composition once I import it in another composition. Is there a process before I drag and drop a 3d comp in another 3d comp?

Are we still talking about Photoshop 3D layers or is this for AE's own 3D layers?

If it's the latter, you can claim back the 3Dness inside your Pre-Comp by making sure the 3D switch is also on for it, and then enabling the Collapse Transformations switch (same "sun" switch used to constinously rasterize vector files). Collapse Transformations means that the transform properties, blend modes and so on for each layer nested in the Pre-comp are connected or combined with the same properties, as applied to the Pre-comp.

(How good is this as a single paragraph explanation for Collapse Transformations? )

For more information on collapsing transformations, see this page in After Effects Help.

If you're still talking about a  Live Photoshop 3D layer... is it clear that you can't rotate in 3D such a layer directly, right? You can pan and orbit around it by using the camera that's created when you import such a layer, or by rotating/moving the controller layer that it's locarted above of it in the timeline. If the Live PS 3D layer is inside a Pre-Comp, you have to go inside that Pre-Comp to do all this.

• 7. Re: Layers get flattened after import in AE CS4
                      haralambie Level 1

Thanks again. I attached a screen from a tutorial where a 3D Layer from PS CS4 has been brought and manipulated in AE CS4.

I did the same , step by step, but my layer was flat like a paper, while the instructor could turn it in 3 d.

Please help

Mitch

• 8. Re: Layers get flattened after import in AE CS4
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'm watching Chad's video tutorial right now. I'll let you know how it works for me. Stay tuned.

• 9. Re: Layers get flattened after import in AE CS4
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I just watched the "After Effects CS4 New Features > New Integration Features > 3D Layers From Photoshop!" video tutorial by Chad Perkins from Lynda.com. I followed along and created a 3D city, imported it into After Effects, and orbited the camera around it to make sure that the city was treated as a 3D object layer. Yup.

Please confirm that you are selecting the _camera_ layer and then using the camera tools to move your camera around. The PSD layer _is_ a flat layer. The way that the feature works is that an effect on the layer is used to render the right 2D information to make it look like the layer is 3D from the perspective of a specific camera. If you're not manipulating and looking through that camera, then things won't look right.

Do not try to rotate, move, or otherwise transform the layer based on the PSD file. Use the null object with the word 'Controller' in its name.

You should be doing all of this in the composition that After Effects created for you when you imported the PSD file as a composition.

One note about a problem with Chad's instructions (though this isn't likely relevant to your problem):

- He says to press Alt+Backspace to fill the layer with black. He then a little while later says to press X to swap the foreground and background colors and then press Alt+Backspace again to fill the selection with white. These steps only work if your foreground color and background colors are set to white and black. So, you may need to change your foreground color and background color.