3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 10:44 AM by the_wine_snob

File Import Failure with Premiere Pro CS4 on Mac

AZJazzyJ

I have the Production Studio CS4 suite for Macintosh.  I am currently working in Premiere Pro CS4 to build a multimedia slide show.  I have created Photoshop files for still shots and the resolution of these images are 1920x1080.  I have music files that are in Apple Lossless format. I created a new project to begin assembling the pieces.  I selected HDV 1080p30 as the sequence preset. When I attempt to import the audio file I receive a File Import Failure dialog box.  The error message says "File video dimensions (width/height) too large."  If I then try to import the still image files I will receive the same File Import Failure dialog box making it impossible to add any assets to the project.  I have uninstalled the Production Studio CS4 suite and reinstalled it and still cannot import any assets to a project.  I have created projects on this machine before and not had an issue importing images or audio files. I can open existing projects and manipulate the sequence and timelines; but I cannot add assets to to a project.

My computer configuration is:

• MacBook Pro
      • 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
      • 4GB RAM
      • 320GB HD with 150GB free
      • NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT Video Processor
      • NetGear NAS 7.5 TB Storage Array with 5 TB free

How can I eliminate the File Import Failure and add PSD or M4A files to a project?

• 1. Re: File Import Failure with Premiere Pro CS4 on Mac
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would think that you should be able to Import your .PSD's with those dimensions. IIRC, PrPro limits you to 4000 pixels in eitther dimension. Not sure of the Apple Audio files, as I never work in that format.

As a "test," try resizing your stills to below the 1920x1080 dimensions and see if those will Import. Were I doing the test, I'd work down and do a couple of different dimensional variations - just to test them all.

I hope that someone sees something that I am missing, and can give you the definitive answer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: File Import Failure with Premiere Pro CS4 on Mac
            AZJazzyJ Level 1

I've continued testing and found some interesting behavior.  If I create a new project and import the PSD still files first I am able to import them without any problem at 1920x1080 resolution.  If I attempt add an audio file in Apple Lossless M4A format I get the File Import Failure error.  After that if I attempt to import anything I will get the File Import Failure error.  I attempted to import a PSD with 1920x1080, 720x480, 640x480, 200x200 and I still get the same File Import Failure error.  I am also noticing that once I get this error, when I attempt to quite Premiere Pro it will remain in the dock and appears to be open I have to do a Force Quit to finally get it to close.  I had not noticed this occurring before and I'll keep testing.

I should have noted that I am running Mac OS X 10.5.7 in case that makes a difference.

• 3. Re: File Import Failure with Premiere Pro CS4 on Mac
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for testing and reporting. Looks like something locks up with the M4A files. Do not know Mac, but I'd guess that you have the capabilities to Export/Convert those to another format. That would be the route that I would take, until someone can specifically address that format in CS4. On the PC side-of-the-street, PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit is the fail-safe format. Just do not know what would be equal on the Mac side - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt