13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 9:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs

guswarren

Hello,

I created a Premier Elements Project for my sister's wedding this weekend, and I am trying to figure out how I can export the movie so it can be played on a DVD player, rather than my PC. 

If anyone has any tips on how to do this, I would sincerely appreciate the help.

As background, I have a DVD-RAM drive on my PC, but I am not sure if it can burn DVDs or just play them. 

Thanks in advance!

Gus

• 1. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
          Paul_LS Level 4

You need to determine if your DVD-RAM drive can burn. In your PE project go to Share and Burn to DVD... do you see the DVD drive as an option to burning to? If so then it is probably OK, but to find out for sure try to burn a DVD... you will find out one way or the other.

If it can not burn you will need to intsall a DVD burner... they are really cheap these days or buy an external DVD burner connected over USB.

• 2. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Paul's comments, if your burner/drive is not seen by PE, it stll might work. Some "packet-writing" software, like the DLA and InCD modules in Roxio and Nero will "hook" the burner. PE, like all other Adobe programs that Burn to CD/DVD, needs 100% control. One has to remove the DLA, or InCD modules to let PE have that necessary control.

One "workaround" to the above is to use PE to Burn to a Folder. Once the DVD structure is created within that folder (will be a VIDEO_TS sub-folder with the required files inside), one can use a 3rd party burning application, like the freeware ImgBurn, or even Roxio or Nero to actually do the burn. I also believe that ImgBurn CAN Burn to a DVD-RAM. Whether this will play, might well depend on the set-top player's capabilities.

Regardless of the direction that you have to take, use the highest-quality media possible. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are very good and have never, never failed me yet. Burn at the slowest possible speed (this will be determined by a combo of your burner and the speed of the media in PE, but can be set with ImgBurn - choose the slowest), to insure the greatest degree of compatibility.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
              guswarren Level 1

Paul,

Thanks so much for the tip.  I followed your suggestion and it worked perfectly.   I just finished watching the movie on my TV, playing from our DVD player...and it looks fantastic...far better than when I play it from my PC.   My sister, her husband, and all the wedding guests thank you in advance!

All the best,

Gus

• 4. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
                guswarren Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  It turned out that PE did indeed recognize my DVD-RAM drive and, after a bit of trial and error, I have the video and audio exactly as I want them, and playing from a DVD (which looks much better than from a PC).

Thanks again,

Gus

• 5. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news. The playing from the TV being better looking is common. Most computers now have much higher resolution (and are Progressive scan), than the majority of TV's. DVD is still geared for CRT TV's with a resolution of 720x480 Interlaced (for NTSC-land). I always use a CRT TV for final judgement on quality.

If I did not mention it before, two tips on getting the best DVD's possible are:

1.) use high-quality media. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are highly recommended.

2.) burn at the slowest possible speed. In PE, this is figured automatically, based on your Bruner's speed capabilities and on your media's speed. You cannot set this manually, so it's always better to buy media with the slowest speed. Sounds counter-productive, but for a quality Burn, it's the way to go. Be sure to see #1 above.

Good luck, and please keep us informed of your Project,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
                    StudioXPS1234567

Hi Bill,

I'm having the same trouble.  Trying to burn a DVD on my fairly new Dell XPS1340 but the DVD burner is not compatible with Premiere it says.  I burned to a file and couldn't find a program to deal with the folder.  I have now downloaded and installed ImgBurn and have tried following your instructions here but all it seems to do is copy over all the files to the DVD, not create a DVD movie.  I can't figure it out but I must be doing something really basic completely wrong.

Roger

• 7. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Roger,

There have been some issues with the multi-drives from Dell. One user had to get two replacements, before they would work properly. Now, I am not saying that this is your problem, but is something to keep in the back of your mind.

With PrE, you can do the Burn to Folder. This will create the VIDEO_TS folder and will write the IFO, BUP and VOB files, that are the structure of a DVD-Video. The entire folder, the VIDEO_TS, is what you want to use ImgBurn for. It will write that to the disc, so that it can be played on a set-top player, hooked to a TV, or can be played on a computer, with proper DVD software. I like the free MediaPlayer Classic HC, though I have the CyberLink PowerDVD players on all of my computers.

all it seems to do is copy over all the files to the DVD, not create a DVD movie.

What are the files, that ImgBurn is creating on the disc?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
                        StudioXPS1234567 Level 1

Thanks Bill,

I burn a lot of DVDs using Roxio and other programs and this is the only program not working for me.

Just need a couple more pointers here; on imgburn, do I use "Create image file from folder" and output to "device?

Roger

• 9. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I burn a lot of DVDs using Roxio and other programs and this is the only program not working for me.

This could well be the reason for issues with PrE. Please see this ARTICLE.

ImgBurn offers several possibilities. For just burning to DVD, you would first choose Burn to Folder from PrE. That creates the VIDEO_TS folder and necessary files. In ImgBurn, you would choose Write files/folders to disc (upper-right in my version). Then, navigate to that VIDEO_TS folder and choose that. Then, choose Burn. Done.

You can test that VIDEO_TS folder's files in DVD players, like CyberLink's PowerDVD, or the freeware MediaPlayer Classic HC. Once you have used ImgBurn to Write files/folders to disc, you can test that disc, with the same programs.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news, and thank you for reporting!

Hunt

• 12. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
                              nicholsonbob

Hi Bill

I was looking for an answer to my problem with PE10. Sometimes when i burn to a folder the burn completes (hours) then say's it's done ok but there are no files in the folder this sometimes happens when burning direct to DVD it say's its completed ok but there is nothing on the disk?

Regards Bob Nicholson

• 13. Re: Burning Premiere Elements Projects onto CDs or DVDs
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob Nicholson

Have you revisited your own thread on your subject which is currently displaying in this forum this morning?

Premiere Elements 10. Burn project to folder nothing in folder when finished.

I have posted a reply there for you in order to establish the troubleshooting strategy for your issue.

You have posted 2014 in an old 2010 thread where contributors seen may no longer be available.

We will be watching for your follow up in your own thread cited above.

Thanks.

ATR