19 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2009 11:50 AM by fyew-jit-tiv

Auto Streaming

fyew-jit-tiv

Hi peps.. Does anyone no how to stop the auto streaming on a video file within my flash site..

The problem is i have got a few videos lined up on one page and all video files are being downloaded at the same time which is sucking up the Internet bandwidth.. I need to find a way to stop this from happening... Any ideas...?

For an example please goto (www.memories4life.co.uk) goto gallery and select the 3rd arrow next to the football team.. There you will see alist of videos. All will then start to stream at the same time.. Thanks for help peps..

P.s Im not talking about auto play. Just incase anyone thinks i am....Thanks

• 1. Re: Auto Streaming
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

how are you playing your video files?  flvplayback component?  netstream?

• 2. Re: Auto Streaming
            fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

Via flvplayback componant..! Thanks for zeepy responce..!

• 3. Re: Auto Streaming

don't assign the source (as3) or contentPath (as2) of those flvplayback instances until you want to start streaming.

• 4. Re: Auto Streaming
                fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

Using As2. And content path is from my ftp..! Hope we are on the same note here...lol

• 5. Re: Auto Streaming
                  fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

kglad not sure what you ment there buddie.. Could you please explain...?

• 6. Re: Auto Streaming

click on one of your flvplayback instances whose flv you want to delay loading.  in its parameters panel make sure there's a blank in the contentPath property.  that will prevent that instance from loading its flv.  when you're ready for it to load its flv, assign its contentPath and if you want to prevent the flv from playing until the play button is pressed, assign its autoPlay property to false.

• 7. Re: Auto Streaming
                      fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

kglad i think i have confussed you here.. Sorry fella. Have you been to my website... (www.memories4life.co.uk)?

what i what to achive here is all the Flv videos from streaming at the same time.. At the moment no auto play as i have that set to false.. But they all stream at the same time. This is in turn sucking up your internet bandwidth. Hope i have made my self clear.. Thanks dude.

• 8. Re: Auto Streaming

i understood that.

don't assign a contentPath for the flv instances that you want to prevent using bandwidth.

• 9. Re: Auto Streaming
                          fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

OK.. so when i delete the content path all viewers will have to do is press play and the streaming will start..?

• 10. Re: Auto Streaming
                            fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

kglad... Done as you told.. Just logged onto site and now there is now video... Witch i thought would happen because there is now no content path... please advise..?

• 11. Re: Auto Streaming

as i explained.  when you want one of the videos to start downloading, assign its contentPath.  the reset, do not assign.

• 12. Re: Auto Streaming
                                fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

Tried  this fella.. Its not working.. if i only asign one content path to one off the flv's then there is only access to that flv only..!

I want people to have access to all flv movies.. Just dont want them all downloading a at the same time..!

• 13. Re: Auto Streaming
                                  fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

Is there an autoload within flash that can bet set to false...? Anyone

• 14. Re: Auto Streaming

again:

click on one of your flvplayback instances whose flv you want to delay loading.  in its parameters panel make sure there's a blank in the contentPath property.  that will prevent that instance from loading its flv.  when you're ready for it to load its flv, assign its contentPath and if you want to prevent the flv from playing until the play button is pressed, assign its autoPlay property to false.

• 15. Re: Auto Streaming
                                      fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

kglad... There must be some miss-understanding going on between both off us here..  If i unasign a content path param.. Upload the site to ftp, then goto section in question all flvs with assigned content paths will be working. All content paths in which i have used your method are not working..

This is NOT what i want to archive here. I just dont want all flvs to download to peoples browsers at once, as this takes up a whole lot of band width. I need to tell the flv's not to autoload NOT auto play as i have already done this.

Another ex... If you went to my website and  viewed the flv's, All will start to download at once. this will in turn slowdown the viewing of the movie you want to watch because all flvs are downloading at the sametime.. I want to make it so when you choose the movie to want to watch, you press play then the flv will in turn start to load into your system.

Maybe im not explaining me self clearly here.. If someone else can sheed light here please feel free.

• 16. Re: Auto Streaming

and that's just exactly what i'm telling you (repeatedly) how to do.  let me spell it out:

1.  assign one contentPath of one flv (the one you want to start loading first).  in your situation, you do not want to do this until the user has indicated which they are most interested in viewing.

2.  check the flvplayback component's properties to see when this flv has completed downloading.

3.  assign the next flvplayback contentPath (the one you want to start loading second).  you may not want to do this until the user has indicated which is the 2nd they are most interested in viewing.

etc.

• 17. Re: Auto Streaming
                                          fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

kglad.. This is soooo not making sense to me.. 1 how am i susposed to know what the viewer wants to view first.. 2 How am i to know which flv the viewer has viewed... Dude we are so not singing from the same hym sheet here...! You are aware that my site is flash right...? not html...?

• 18. Re: Auto Streaming

1.  you think i should know?  how about you set it up so the user clicks on a play button to indicate what flv they want to view first?

2.  if you really don't know this answer and you really didn't know 1, you should hire someone to code your flash.

• 19. Re: Auto Streaming
                                              fyew-jit-tiv Level 1

Im talk aabout net streaming here dude... And for the record you were WRONG... I have this problem sorted it out now. And its not how you suggested..! GOOD DAY