23 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2009 10:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync

Stillwater_Brian Level 1

I've got an older AMD 64x2 4200 CPU with 4GB of memory.  I upgraded to CS4 and uninstalled the previous version.  Everything seemed to be working fine but I started to run into a problem where I wasn't getting any audio in my DVDs.  I traced this back to the media export.  Which turned out to be a lack of HD space on my system drive.  I cleaned up a few files but that only made matters worst, it wouldn't render at all.  So I uninstalled everything then resinstalled.  Now it is rendering, but the audio starts to drift out of sync.  After 40mins it is defineately out of sync by at least 1 second.  Any ideas on whats going on?  I've tried using AVI output, now I'm trying WMV which takes longer.

• 1. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us more about your Assets, their format, CODEC's used, and all details. Do not skip the CODEC's for the Audio.

Then, tell us all of the details on your Project, including the Preset used.

Last, please list your exact steps for getting the files into Encore for burning to DVD, plus the Transcode settings, etc. in Encore.

I found similar with some MPEG Clips in a Project. Even when I converted these Assets to DV-AVI Type II, some of the Clips would just NOT sync. They appeared fine in PrPro, and also in Encore. It was when Burned to DVD that the OOS came to light. I did everything I could, including estimating the OOS and adjusting these by that amount. Now, they were definitely OOS in PrPro, and in Encore, and by about the amount in the opposite direction that they were on the DVD. Burned and tested. Same exact OOS as the un-adjusted Clips from before. Since these were client Clips I told them that we could not fix it, unless they could get back to the original source files. In my case, it was just a few shorter Clips (some worked perfectly, but a few never did). I could not tell if the OOS was constant, or if it drifted, since the Clips were so short.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
            Stillwater_Brian Level 1

The clips were captured via firewire to AVI files.  They appear fine in Premier Pro, I used 2 different types of camera and had to sync the video to match, but only used audio from one.  The audio was then rendered in SoundBooth as a WAV file and cleaned up and reimported into Premier.  I noticed that the clip audio that was exported from Premier, edited in Soundbooth, and then reimported into Premier did not match the original audio length and I adjusted it.  The Video and Audio was exported using Adobe Media Encoder using the Microsoft AVI Format with the NTSC DV preset.  The defaults settings were used.  When the render clip is viewed in media player, it starts off in sync, but after 40 minutes you can defineately tell it is out of sync by about 1-2 seconds.  Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
              Jim_Simon Level 8

audio that was exported from Premier, edited in Soundbooth, and then reimported into Premier did not match the original audio length

It should have.  Solve that problem, and this one may go away.

• 4. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                Stillwater_Brian Level 1

I'm currently rendering in another format to see if the problem is in more than one codec.  Is there a easy way to remove all the codecs on the system and then have them reinstalled.  I had installed cole2kmedia codec to try and import some flip files but I thought I had uninstalled them.  Is there a way to check to see what codecs are installed on your machine?

• 5. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                  Stillwater_Brian Level 1

Found the answer to checking on the codecs and a way to uninstall them but not to reinstall.

• 6. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                    Stillwater_Brian Level 1

I did a test to export the audio in wav format to a file, then imported that same file back in and compared the twp.  The rendered file from media encoder was 1 sec and 2 frames behind the orginal audio after about 42 minutes.  I'm thinking I need to try uninstalling the media encoder and then reinstall it.  If this doesn't work, I'm thinking of a system wipe to clear out everything and start fresh again unless someone has a better idea.  I think it was working at one point but now seems to be very slow in the media rendering (the audio starts to render out but nothing happens on the timeline for quite some time, then it seems to start, after 12 minutes for 45 minutes of audio it completes.  Audio exporting used to not take this long, anyone else seeing this?

• 7. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Stillwater_Brian wrote:

The clips were captured via firewire to AVI files.

What software did you use to capture?  What codecs (audio and video) were used to create the AVI files?  What sample rate is the captured audio?  We've all been assuming you used Pr and captured to DV AVI at 48kHz, 16-bit stereo.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                        Stillwater_Brian Level 1

The clips were captured in Premier Pro using the default settings.  I believe the camera records it at 42Khz 16bit and it is imported at that bitrate but then the project setting was outputed at 48Khz 16bit. Also, i've noticed that noise is introduced in the audio when it is rendered out from Adobe Media Encoder, pops and clicks are present in the audio on the rendered audio that is not present when played in Premier Pro.  I don't think it has anything to do with my cpu speed but I could be wrong, i would think that the AMD 64 x2 4200 cpu would be sufficient to handle the media exporting.  I already uninstalled everything and then cleaned with the clean script untility, then reinstalled from when things were broken.  But maybe there is something in the system that is causing this problem and I'll have to install it on a fresh windows install.

• 9. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

If the audio on the camera is NOT PCM 48 KHz 16 bit stereo, I believe it is the camera that is at fault, not PR. Check the camera specs and if it is not recorded at 48 KHz, use a converter to change the audio to a correct WAV format before importing.

• 10. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                            Stillwater_Brian Level 1

I have not had a problem with inporting video and audio with the camera before using Premier Pro 2.0 and then exporting it, it seems to only have happened with the upgrade to CS4 using the media encoder from adobe.

• 12. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

For the noise issues, maybe this THREAD will help. Other than PrPro version #, it sounds similar to what you describe.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                Stillwater_Brian Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the research.  Yes this does sound very simular.  But for some reason I'm thinking something has changed on my system where i used to not have this problem or at least I didn't think I had a problem with the audio going out of sync doing the same things I'm doing now.  Iits only been recently after I ran out of HD space on my system drive and then had to delete some cached files to make more room.  I'm going to try and reload a fresh OS and then reinstall.  There are also some additon errors that have occured during the shutdown or restart process that leads me to believe I have some corrupted files (memory access error on the photoshop service or some service like that.).  I figure I need to eliminate the possiblity that it could be some corrupted files on my system and that is why it not working the way it used to (or at least the way I thought it used to work)  I'll let you know what the outcome is, at least this will give me another idea if the reload doesn't work.

• 14. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

It does sound like there are some other issues going on. I'd sort those out, and then test again. I hope that you're burning to DVD RW media, for these tests, to save on "coasters."

I would still not rule out Assets completely. I am convinced that there was something common to the offending Clips, that did not exist in all the rest. Never could find it with G-Spot and MediaInfo though. These were all cut from the same MPEG "master" Clip, that had been converted as one file to DV-AVI Type II. All other Clips were in perfect sync. Most were much longer, though some shorter. These two were problems by about the same amout of OOS, and no changes that I made to the sync would show up in the Burn. I still think about that Project, but cannot come up with an answer as to what caused only two snippets of a 30 min. file to exhibit OOS in the Burn, but not in Premiere, or Encore. BTW, I did Render & Replace, plus studied the Audio in Audition to try to find some common problem. Nothiing.

Though you've done many perfect Projects before, think about how these particular Assets might differ from what you normally use.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                    Stillwater_Brian Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the advice and info.  I'm not ruling anything out, but there were too many "problems" that led me to believe something else was going on.  I will know after i get things reinstalled.  Yeah I learned the RW trick awhile ago, Lots of coasters and decided that was a waste.  One thing, when you are rendering out thru Media Encoder, does your encoder take awhile to start "encoding".  What i mean by that is my timeline will show encoding, but the elapsed time and estimated time remaining remain "frozen" for quite awhile.  I was also having problems importing m2v files into Encore, my system would just hang there trying to import the stock menus background files and no matter how long I would let it go, it would never finish.

• 16. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

I'm not on CS4, so my encoding won't help. However, several have reported that AME is slow to start. Do not recall if any came up with fixes, or tweaks, but there are several threads on it's speed and on how long it takes to launch and begin. Might be some good info in those threads.

There have also been some issues reported with the DL (Adobe Dynamic Link) in both CS3 and the more robust version in CS4.

When these have occurred, most had great success by doing it the "old fashioned way," Exporting elemental streams for Video-only, and Audio-only, then Importing the Video-only file as a Timeline and the Audio-only file as an Asset. Drag the Audio-only file to the appropriate Timeline and it snaps into place. Might be worth the effort. Remember - multiplexing is turned OFF. Yes, DL should do this for you, without Rendering and Export, but if it does not function, you can still get the Project out of the door. Might want to also look in the Encore forum, as there has been much discussion on CS4's DL'ing. You may have to poke around a bit, as it is divided into several sub-fora. Also, some people post anywhere, regardless of what the question is. Sometimes, the sub-fora are great, but other times they are a PITA. It all depends on the posters.

Good luck with the computer problems,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                        Stillwater_Brian Level 1

Thanks, I was using DL and things were working great, then my system became messed up and I wasn't getting any audio in my renders.  Found my HD was full, and that was the apparent start of my problems.  I have rendered my audio out separately and then immediately reimported it and that is where the pops and clicks and the 1.2 seconds of audio sync drift comes in.  I did a google search for the sync problem but didn't really find something that matched my problems, I'll check out the other forums if this doesn't work.

• 18. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

You might also want to post to the Encore forum. I'd either post to the main forum, or to the DVD Burning sub-forum. Considering the Audio aspect (it's not quite right for the Audio Importing sub-forum), I'd go for the main area. There are a lot of Encore users, who edit on other NLE's, so you'll get a sub-set of this forum, but also a lot of new faces. Look for any input from Jbowden, as he is very good. Other very helpful posters are Neil Wilkes and Jeff Bellune (both are seen around here too).

Yeah, I forgot about the "clicks-n-pops." BTW, did that other link I posted have any useful info?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                            Stillwater_Brian Level 1

Yes, the pop-n-click link defineately sounds like a conversion issue.  Maybe its a new thing with media encoder because under PP 2.0 I was able to export the audio without any problems and have it sync back up when it was imported back in after touchups in Audition.  Almost got the trial version of CS4 installled, my upgrade requires me to contact Adobe whenever I do a new install because I skipped an upgrade.

• 20. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

Remember, CS4 trial can do nothing with anything MPEG - nothing! Just don't want you to be surprised, after all your work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                                Stillwater_Brian Level 1

Ok, weird things.  Firstt off, i've got a fresh windows xp install, and a fresh cs4 install (trial version right now, no updates).  I ran the export for just the wav file uncompressed.  Same thing happens when I import it, sound is off by about 100.03%.  I modified the duration of the clip to get it back insync but when I tested it, it was still out of sync.  So I put the rendered clip back to 100% and now the audio is in sync (wave forms match up too)  Bizzare.  But I still have pops and clicks although very low in intensity.  This could be corrected in soundbooth using click and pop remover.

By the way, i was wrong on my import of my audio, it was imported at 48khz and 16bit, so no conversion is suppose to being done.  I'll have to update the CS4 version to see if this corrects anything.

• 22. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                                  Stillwater_Brian Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for all your help.

I've finally tracked down where the problem is.  I noticed that I had my main reference video and audio (which was synced) at a speed of 100.03%.   Back when I was orginally setting this up, I had a MPEG video file that I was going to pull some HD video from but because of my slow processor, i left it out.  Long story but, i had set the video to match the MPEG so that it would sync.  I never took out that speed duration when i removed the HD video and audio clip  I also used several sequences to multi-cam and then a final sequence to export out.  I noticed that the speed change needed to correct my out of sync problem was the same speed that I had used in my orginal adjustment.  I started a new project and used the same clips (at 100% this time) in that and simply rendered it out and then imported it back in and it was all in sync.  My orginal project had my audio at 100.04%. There is a quirk in the media encoder when it is rendering audio out that isn't at 100%.  My pops and click issue is also resolved.

I also noticed that media encoder starts much quicker when you have a simpler project.  When i only had 2 video and 2 audio clips on 1 sequence, the rendering started up right away and you could see the progress continiously.  Might be the complexity of the project when its rendering that it doesn't know how long it will take until its done.  My nested encoding doesn't show progress until it was 9 min into a encode, then it showed progress until the end.

• 23. Re: Exporting Media .AVI audio out of sync
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Wow, I see some questions, that I would never have thought to ask.

Thank you for the followup and for the information behind the behavior. Though possibly unique to your Project, it certainly might help someone else.

Good luck with the Project,

Hunt