3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2009 3:26 PM by JRLIisback

vista compatibility - flash.ocx

BILLBRAZIL

I have an older cd that I cannot use because it indicates that flash.ocx is missing. I am running Vista home premium and ordinarily use Adobe Flash 10. However, the cd indicates that it was designed for Flash 7.  I attempted removal of flash 10 and install of flash 7 but had no success. Still get the error that flash.ocx is missing. I have installed flash.ocx in the System32 folder. Perhaps I need to register it also, but not sure how.

• 1. Re: vista compatibility - flash.ocx
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

flash player 10 will flash a flash 7 swf.

• 2. Re: vista compatibility - flash.ocx
            BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3

the CD is probably hard-coded to look for 'flash.ocx'.. But the naming of the Flash Player activex control changed to a lettering scheme I think in Flash Player 9. 

Other folks have worked around this by renaming the flash OCX control for later versions back to the older file naming. Check this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/6626

(and obviously we don't officialy support that technique)

• 3. Re: vista compatibility - flash.ocx
              JRLIisback

You might have the lastest operating system, although your system requriements might be out of date. Check below:

Windows

• 1GHz or faster processor
              • Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit Windows XP and Windows Vista)
              • 1GB of RAM
              • 3.5GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on flash-based storage devices)
              • 1,024x768 display (1,280x800 recommended) with 16-bit video card
              • DVD-ROM drive
              • QuickTime 7.1.2 software required for multimedia features
              • Broadband Internet connection required for online services

Visit the Product Activation Center to learn more about activation.