11 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2009 4:02 AM by Reynolds (Mark)

Looking for a "stamp" function

Niels Graverholt Level 1

PaintShopPro has a facility where you can choose among a number of "stamps" - for instance a dogs paw - and by clicking the mouse adding as many to your document as you want - in the size that you want.

I think I have seen a similar in Photoshop, but cannot find it.

Can someone help me?

• 1. Re: Looking for a "stamp" function
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

There are many functions in Photoshop that will do similar things to this. It's difficult to tell exactly what you want from your description, which isn't detailed enough

As a guess, maybe the main tool you are likely to need is the clone stamp (S key), this allows you to sample points from any open image – up to 5 points which can be held in memory, and rescaled using the new clone source panel.

• 2. Re: Looking for a "stamp" function
            Niels Graverholt Level 1

First, I remembered wrong: The name in PSP is not "stamp" but "tube" - and it works as follows:

You choose the tube tool and then you choose among a number of different figures (for instance a dows paw) and the size you want - and then by cliking anywhere you will place a paw there.

But of course the selection of different tubes must've come from somewhere. I cannot remember if it comes with PSP or you had to download it from somewhere.

• 3. Re: Looking for a "stamp" function
              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

What you are talking about is pre-defined full color raster shapes that can be painted onto the canvas. This is not directly possible, in all honestly its a fairly useless feature for most professionals. Workarounds…

• A workaround in Photoshop includes the clone stamp which I mentioned in the previous post. This can sample other documents, so its possible to open a specific document with your shapes, place up to 5 points on this, uncheck "Aligned"and it will operate much on the same way as the "tube" tool you have described. In addition to scaling, it will also allow rotating and offsets.

• If the shapes are standard brush (non colored opacity based shapes) - then the standard Brush tool is best

• The Pattern stamp can also take pre-defined raster areas and paint these in. At the moment these are not rescalable, at the moment these do not respond to the clone source panels rescaling,rotating  and preset options - this would be a valid and fairly worthwhile Feature Request, to enable Clone Source options for the Pattern Stamp.

• 4. Re: Looking for a "stamp" function
                harry teasley Level 1

I think he would most want the Shape tool, with all the various vector shapes it has. Solid color, not like Painter's Image Hose.

There have been a lot of requests for an Image Hose feature: I could see how some folks would find it useful. I always found it gimmicky, without a ton of real use.

• 5. Re: Looking for a "stamp" function
                  Niels Graverholt Level 1

I am afraid that I have been talking nonsense:

What I need is a (computer made) "icon" for a dogs paw with transparent background and resizeable in printing qulity  - and the tubes or whatever is not important. Sorry for the confusion.

• 6. Re: Looking for a "stamp" function
                    John Joslin Level 6

It's there.

With the Custom Shape tool selected, go to the drop-down for "Shapes" on the Options bar. There's a bloody great dog's paw staring you in the face!

You can load plenty of others too.

• 7. Re: Looking for a "stamp" function
                      sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

There have been a lot of requests for an Image Hose feature: I could see how some folks would find it useful. I always found it gimmicky, without a ton of real use.

I also haven't found much use for it. There's a similar tool within Corel PHOTO-PAINT called the Image Sprayer Tool. I threw this together real quick to show how useful it can be in certain scenarios, but I don't really find myself working with faries... like, ever!

image_sprayer_tool.jpg

In this example, I created a new layer and chose "Add" as the multiply method, on which to paint "Stardust" with the Image Sprayer Tool.

It has a cool effect that I couldn't think to achieve any other way. Sometimes it's useful.

• 8. Re: Looking for a "stamp" function
                        Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

What Jed has just demonstrated,and better than that, is possible with Photoshops brush tool - scattering, blend modes and color dynamics. If Vector shapes are needed then as John has said its the shape tool. Illustrator Smart Objects using Illustrators (weirdly implemeted) Symbol tool is also possible

• 9. Re: Looking for a "stamp" function
                          sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

What Jed has just demonstrated,and better than that, is possible with Photoshops brush tool - scattering, blend modes and color dynamics.

Yes, I have totally been impressed with these Photoshop brush tools. I already fooled around with the color dynamics and definitely impressed.

Maybe a better example of the image hose is this one...

beijing1.jpg

Now, this is where I would have to agree that it's more of a gimmick. I don't think I've ever seriously used this tool, but maybe someone has use for it; hence, why I've made no feature request on the matter.

Oh, also... it's funny that you said I'm in my 30's olympic swimsuit annoying all the other swimmers. I lolled at that one! But really, our olympic swimmers have actually "gone back" to that style of swimsuit, so the analogy is ironically in my favor. Granted, they use a different material that has less drag than skin, but you get the irony, I'm sure. I wouldn't put it past you.

• 10. Re: Looking for a "stamp" function
                            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Thanks for the effort, but it was more this kind of thing I had in mind Jed

1930's.jpg