13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2009 9:01 AM by Eddie Lotter RSS

installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine

logicalman75 Community Member

I have been trying to install Premiere 6.5 on my Vista 64 Laptop.  It won't even let the install begin.  If I click on the setup it says "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an 32-bit or 64 bit versionof this program then contact the software publisher."

Is there a work around for this at all or am I just out of luck?

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine
          Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

I think it is the latter.

• 2. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine
            the_wine_snob Community Member

I agree. IIRC, CS3 was the first Vista-certified version, and CS4 was the first 64-bit certified version, though it is still a 32-bit program.

I ran afoul of similar, with some old 3D paint programs. They choked with more than 512MB of RAM - they saw 1GB as < 512MB, as nothing allowed >512MB, when they were written. I had to build a special computer just to run them and even use an outdated OS. That was one fast machine, but the poor thing only had 512MB RAM and WinME - gosh that never felt right. Finally, I was able to find replacements for those programs and reconfigured the machine with 2GB RAM and XP-Pro SP3. This stuff happens, and there is no way to program for the future (more than a month, or so). Some things just become obsolete. I have a full room of Wine_Snob's Obsolete Hardware & Software Archives. It also has all of my Hasselblads, and 35mm Nikons in it!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine

Thank you all for the input.

• 4. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine
                CrunchyCrab Community Member

Actually, there may be a way:  I have been playing with Windows 7 RC1 (64bit) and found a way to run Premiere 6.5.  It says you can do this in Vista also.  You download a plugin from Microsoft called "Virtual PC 2007".  I would put the link, but I don't think it is permitted in the Forums.  Anyway, this creates a drive image file which allows you to run another operating system as if you have two computers merged.  You can install your own Windows 2k, XP, etc on this virtual drive which "boots" and runs your old applications in a window.  The downside that I have found so far is that it runs Premiere a little slower than in a native 32 bit system, but hey, what the heck.  Also, it is a bit of a hassle to move files between the two systems, as they cannot see each other (except through a shared folder).

Another option is to create a dual boot drive.  First install XP or your 32bit system.  Then repartition the drive and install Vista 64.  Since Vista is the latest, it will come up first at boot (and default).  When you want to run Premiere, just boot into your 32bit Operating System.

Hope this gives you some relief.

• 5. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine

Thank you for the information.  I will definitely look into it!

• 6. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine
                    John T Smith MVP

>Another option is to create a dual boot drive

I do that... small amount allocated to Win2000 (installed first) to be able to use Dv500 card, the rest of the drive allocated to WinXp for Premiere Pro

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

• 7. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine
                      ppshooky Community Member

I have an older version of Adobe Premiere (6.0), but I was able to get it to run (didn't install it, though).

I had a system failure on my old machine, so I restored some of the applications on my new PC.

I copied Premiere 6.0 to the new PC, and was able to run the .exe file.

I got some errors when it started (mostly REAL player codec issues), but I was able to get into the program.

I'm runnin a Vista 64 machine.

• 8. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine
                        the_wine_snob Community Member
                        I would put the link, but I don't think it is permitted in the Forums.

Actually, Adobe is very good about posting URL's for 3rd party programs, especially if they can help an Adobe user find a way to work more effectively. I've posted a myriad of links to freeware and shareware, where I think they will help someone. Adobe has never complained, and the MOD's "know where to find me."

Unlike some fora, Adobe has been great with their hosting and support for these fora. I sense that they want the best for their customers.

Now, if one uploaded links to S_ny V_gas, or similar, then they might rethink their policy. Very obviously, all links and references to any illegal software is expressly prohibited, and with good reason.

Hope that your suggestion helps the OP.

Hunt

• 9. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine

Okay...it the_wine_snob is correct, I guess I can post the links here:

Here is the one that explains it:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/97a74f0e-798d-45ff-b9bf-7feed68c40e510 33.mspx

Here is the download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A7 3B6&displaylang=en

Oh, I should have said that it is a FREE download from Microsoft for Windows Vista and Windows 7 64bit.

I was able to install my DV500 drivers and many other old programs that would not install in 64bit (tried every compatibility mode).  You have to set your bios to enable virtualization.  It usually defaults to disabled.

Additional info:  I tried to do what ppshooky said...copied my premiere folders over, but it would not even give me a start screen.  Maybe we can get some detail information about that.

Anyway, I hope this helps you.

• 10. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine
                            John T Smith MVP

Simply copying a program folder from one computer to another will usually not work... part of the install process is for the install software to write information into the Registry so Windoze knows about the program

• 11. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine

Okay, to follow-up on this (in case anyone is interested)...there are nearly 70 instances in the registry directly related to premiere 6.5 and another 30 or so indirectly related (quicktime, pinnacle, etc.).  I exported every one of them and, along with the program files (including common files) moved them to my Windows 7 drive.  I imported the entries into the registry, copied the program files into the proper folders and tried to run Premiere.  Hmmmm, guess what?  I got the same error message and still no Premiere....except now my registry is muddled up with a bunch of 32bit garbage entries.  I don't recommend anyone try this unless we can get some specific instructions and have someone else (an independent 3rd party perhaps) confirm this (lol).  For me, I have an evaluation copy of Windows 7...no big deal.  I just reinstall it and continue with my testing.

FYI...if you check John T. Smith's first post it is certainly a good solution also:  You can upgrade to Premiere Pro for $299 (assuming your copy of 6.5 is legal, of course) which will run in 64bit.  I downloaded a trial version of it last night and will do some testing on it this week.  I don't know how much different it is or how much of your version 6.5 knowledge is transferable to Premiere Pro, but something to consider.  You won't need a DV500 anymore either unless you have analog video to capture or like the Pinnacle transitions.  Believe me, I know how hard it is to part with that board (the thing cost me $700), but your 64bit cpu will run faster than the DV500.  Remember, that board was developed to speed up the processing on a Pentium when CPU speeds were measured in Mhz rather than Ghz.

• 12. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine

I have been testing this for over a week now and everything (my old software/drivers) all work.  I should have said earlier that you can download a virtual copy of Windows XP to use with Virtual PC...Microsoft will give you an operating system to use (activation and all).  Very generous of them considering that they could have made you buy a reduced fee copy.  After install, just copy the virtual XP file and rename it (otherwise it will give you an error message and not boot).  At any rate, you can run DV500 drivers, Premiere 6.5, your favorite old card programs or games or virtually (no pun intended) anything you could run in XP.  You may want to adjust the screen resolution or run in full screen mode, however.

Again, the only drawback is that it is cumbersome to move the files back and forth.  You can drag and drop or utilize a shared folder through your network, but you can't see the files in Windows Explorer since it is a virtual drive and not a "real" one.  You could also upgrade to Premiere Pro (64bit) and Adobe has some excellent tutorial mini-videos on their site if you want to check it out.  I kind of like the trial version of it, but miss the MPEG output and dislike having to learn a new way to author my DVDs using Encore.  Since you can't test Encore in the trial version I am a little concerned that the learning curve will be more than I want to handle at this point.  Premiere Pro is definitely worth the upgrade price though and I still may "bite the bullet" and do it when Windows 7 is released later this year.

So, to sum up here...I would say that you have a few excellent choices of options in this thread....well, that is, except for the one about copying Premiere over and it runs (check my previous post on that - lol).  Good luck to you.

• 13. Re: installing Premiere 6.5 on a Vista 64 Machine
                                  Eddie Lotter Community Member

Microsoft will give you an operating system to use

This is news to me. Please provide a link to this information.

Cheers
                                  Eddie

Message was edited by: Eddie Lotter. Fixed formatting.