5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 2:23 PM by droesch93

Using OnLocation for extended recording: is it safe?

Colin Brougham Level 6

I realize that there is an OnLocation forum, but I'm assuming that most OnLocation users are Premiere Pro users as well, and this forum sees much more traffic than the OL forum does...

I have a three-camera performance shoot coming up in a couple of weeks: I'm using two HVX200s with 16GB P2 cards, and I'll have one HPX170 that I'm planning on tethering to my laptop and using it to record directly into OnLocation. Shooting format is DVCPROHD 720/24pN--and yes, I know that neither camera streams 24pN over FireWire, but OnLocation is able to strip the padded/flagged frames from a 720/24p (over 60p) stream to create a native 24p AVI file. I did test this, so I know that it is technically sound.

I've shot P2 for several years now without a hitch, so I'm comfortable with that particular workflow. However, I've never really had much occasion to use OL until now. I've used it on a couple of shoots for monitoring, but always recorded to P2. Where I'm slightly apprehensive is recording this longer performance live (90+ minutes, fortunately with an intermission about halfway through) without any sort of redundancy. Unfortunately, I don't have enough P2 cards to equip all cameras comfortably. So the $64,000 question is: is OnLocation trustworthy enough to be relied on in this instance of prolonged shooting? I would have two more opportunities to shoot the performance, but that would completely blow the budget, not to mention by a major time drain. I'm going to set my camera up tied to the computer and let it roll for 90-120 minutes, but that's not exactly a real world test.

Obviously, there are no assurances, but I'm just looking for a little confidence boost from anyone who has successfully used OL in such a way--preferably, multiple times!

PS: Laptop is a P8400 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, Vista 64, and would be recording to a dedicated SATA 3.0Gbps internal drive...

• 1. Re: Using OnLocation for extended recording: is it safe?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          without any sort of redundancy.

That's scary.  I've used OnLocatin to record 60+ continuous minutes without a hitch (concert), but it also went to tape.  I VERY strongly suggest having redundancy of some kind.

• 2. Re: Using OnLocation for extended recording: is it safe?
            Eric Addison User Group Manager

I'm with Jim - you should have some sort of back up. You never know what may happen...

That being said, I just did 2 days of shooting presentations for a client, some of which were up to 2 1/2 hours long with no breaks. OL worked great. I've used it before for shoots like this, and it's never let me down. It has crashed, but that was before the last updates. Since then, it's been pretty solid.

• 3. Re: Using OnLocation for extended recording: is it safe?
              droesch93

So are you saying you CAN stream 24pn footage into onlocation cs4 after all?  Coulpd you explain the process if this is true?

Thanks Dan

• 4. Re: Using OnLocation for extended recording: is it safe?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

No, you can't stream 720/24pN INTO OnLo, simply because the HVX200 (and similar cameras) is not capable of streaming 720/24pN OUT. That said, you can stream 720/24p (notice, there is no N) out of the HVX and OnLo will strip the padded/flagged frames to create a 24p AVI file. The non-native mode of 24p is sometimes referred to as "24p over 60" because the stream actually contains 60 frames per second. However, you're scanning 24 frames per second, so that frame duration has to be rectified. What the camera does is duplicate the first scanned frame once, and then duplicates the second scanned frame twice; it's a form of 2:3 pulldown. So, for every 2 frames originally scanned, 5 frames are recorded. Repeat this for a second, and you get 24 frames over 60, ie. 24 scanned frames / 2 = 12 * 5 = 60 recorded frames. Those extras/duplicates are flagged such that certain recording software/hardware knows where they are, and can strip them out as they are streamed in. OnLocation can do this. This is what I was referring to.

• 5. Re: Using OnLocation for extended recording: is it safe?
                  droesch93 Level 1

So do you get the smaller file size (roughly half) recorded in to Onloc like you would with the N mode or is the file twice as big as it would be if you were recording to p2 card?

How does onloc do with over/undercranking in non N modes?  It would be ideal to not use the Native mode but still ge the "instant" playpack of slow motion without running it through a converter.  Do you now how this works?

Lastly, with a fast enough laptop can you record all of this striaight to a external usb drive?

Dan