9 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2009 7:06 AM by the_wine_snob

Why is my 7.0 PE not responding anymore? could a corrupt VOB file cause this?

mrsbuelna

Bear with me because I don't quite know where to start.........

I am running Vista ..... using Premiere Elements 7.0..........never had a problem before the last couple of days. I have been a user since Oct 2008.

Opened a new project yesterday and went to drop in some VOB files.  All of a sudden 1 in particular would seem to lock up my PE.  So I decided to do a test run with some other VOB files and not that particular one and it seemed fine.  Then I went to open back up the project again and it would just lock up on me.  Assuming there is something about those VOB files that were causing a problem, I went through and deleted all the test folders I created trying to solve the problem.  NOW when I go to do anything, even start a new project  and save it in a completely new area (I have 3 hard drives altogether, 2 external)...........it will completely freeze up and the task manager says it is not responding.

I have tried to look up on the internet and this forum to see if there is a similar problem/solution and I can't seem to find much.

I did see where someone recommended using a program like Advance System Care and then trying again.  I did that already and it seemed like it started up much faster but still will lock up if I choose to open an existing project or make a new one.

I also tried utilizing the "repair" feature in Vista's uninstall instructions...you can choose not to uninstall it but it does some sort of self-repairing.  That did not work either................

I can be fairly novice with some of this stuff so if you can offer up any help...please try to keep it at the end user level.  Thanks soooo much.  I hope someone out there knows what I am dealing with.

• 1. Re: Why is my 7.0 PE not responding anymore? could a corrupt VOB file cause this?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I could understand how a bad VOB might mess up a Project, but cannot imagine of any way that it would mess up PE.

The next step that I would take would be to shut down all AV programs, spyware and pop-up blockers. Then I would do a Repair Install for PE.

The installer is pretty smart, in that it will survey your installation and do a quick checksum on the necessary components. It will then overwrite any bad ones, and replace any missing ones, with the files from the installation DVD.

If that does not address the issue, you might want to consider any changes that have been made to the system, both hardware and software, that have come after your crashing Project. It and the problem with PE are most likely coincidental.

Also, open up Event Viewer and see if there are any error messages, pertaining to the stalling of PE. If you cannot find any, close Event Viewer, and launch PE. Let it stall/crash, close it down and open Event Viewer again. Look in both the System and the Applications tab. You might get a useful error message. If you have anything with a yellow or red icon - check these out closely. Follow any links provided, as these can yield fixes, or at least clues.

I'd check to make sure that all drivers, video and audio, are updated, plus to a download and installation of the latest QucikTime Player from Apple.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why is my 7.0 PE not responding anymore? could a corrupt VOB file cause this?
            mrsbuelna Level 1

When I used the Advanced System Care it took care of all the spyware and popup blockers.  I rebooted.

Then I used the "repair" utility for installing/uninstalling PE. I rebooted.

Then I went and downloaded the latest Quick Time. I rebooted.  Then I ran the "repair" again just in case adding the most recent Quick Time had any effect on it.  Again, rebooted.

Still nothing............then I tried to use the "event log"  but I get lost in it.  I am not sure what I am looking at or looking for..........my knowledge of computers and/or the Vista system does not go that in depth.  I tried poking around the Task Manager to see if maybe I am having a problem with available memory but again, not sure if I'm looking at the right stuff.  I try closing applications that are running but it seems like the free space gets smaller with each one that I close.  See...I am just a lost pup.

I can't think of anything that is new on my computer either.

Would a complete uninstall and reinstall be any different than the repair utility?

• 3. Re: Why is my 7.0 PE not responding anymore? could a corrupt VOB file cause this?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a screen-cap that I annotated and drew some lines and circles on. It show the Event View Panel (left) with some yellow markers and some red markers. These will open a descriptive dialog box that might contain a link. My exampe did and I show the page that it linked to. Hope that this helps you with Event Viewer, and that it, in turn, will help you see what is going on.

Event Viewer 01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why is my 7.0 PE not responding anymore? could a corrupt VOB file cause this?
                mrsbuelna Level 1

That was very helpful to me in understanding how to view the problem.  It definitely did show that Windows and PE stopped communicating "application hang up" is another phrase it uses.  It does link me to Microsoft so I can see if there is a fix for the problem.  But again, I start getting lost in the tech-talk.  It is telling me something about a problem for Microsoft Server 2003 .........something about an NTbackup.exe (I could be a bit off on that) so again, I just get lost....just a foreign language at this point   Keep in mind I am running Vista, not sure if that helps and you may have already remembered that.

I tried opening up the Resource Monitor to take a peek at the memory usage and when I look at the memory tab.....I am starting to see something interesting as I open PE......when I open it....my used physical memory goes from 42% to spiking all the way up and experiencing thousands of Hard Faults/min .... when it starts to freeze up the Hard Faults/min get smaller and then when you attempt to use Task Manager to close it...it gets bigger again into the 4000s until you get it closed completely.  Does any of this make sense to you?  I really didn't foresee this as a memory problem but we've obviously established that my knowledge only goes so far.......

I hate to be the "little woman" that says I will have my husband take a look at this when he gets home but this may be the big guns I need....oh I am cringing at the sound of that.  if you have any other ideas out there world....send them my way....I'm trying anything!

• 5. Re: Why is my 7.0 PE not responding anymore? could a corrupt VOB file cause this?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  It is telling me something about a problem for Microsoft Server 2003 .........something about an NTbackup.exe (I could be a bit off on that) so again, I just get lost....just a foreign language at this point   Keep in mind I am running Vista, not sure if that helps and you may have already remembered that.

This is highly curious. Your reference to this same error message is the second one this week in the Adobe fora. Do not recall the exact forum, or the thread's title, of the other one. That poster was also NOT running MS Server 2003 and had used no MS Backup program. Just a guess, but I'd say that something in Vista is fooling Event Viewer, or the linking devices on the MS site. If I find that other thread, I'll link to it, as there might be something of use. OTOH, maybe it's just the phases of the Moon - two such erroneous error messages in one week is very odd.

I open PE......when I open it....my used physical memory goes from 42% to spiking all the way up and experiencing thousands of Hard Faults/min .... when it starts to freeze up the Hard Faults/min get smaller and then when you attempt to use Task Manager to close it...it gets bigger again into the 4000s until you get it closed completely

The Hard Faults are very troublesome. I hope that someone else has an idea for you. I'll give that some thought and share any thoughts with you. However, it does sound like much is going on. Now, in a crash situation happens with most Adobe programs, there is a "cleanup" routine that runs, until all of the "detritis" is gone. Could that be what you're seeing, after you use Task Manager to shut it down? One way to see this in action is to switch over to the Processes tab in Task Manager, after you do the forced shutdown. Dbl-click on the CPU tab so you'll have the Processes with the highest CPU usage at the top. You should see AdobeCleanup (or similar syntax) running.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Why is my 7.0 PE not responding anymore? could a corrupt VOB file cause this?
                    mrsbuelna Level 1

the more and more we researched this the more we (me and the hubby) felt this had to be related to the way that PE caches up the old media you've used in recent projects.............because this all started happening after putting in some large VOB files.  I have used VOB files before but maybe the system just reached it's breaking point.  We moved the specific files to a separate location so that PE wouldn't be able to access them any more when trying to open projects and would trigger a request to find the missing files.......

because I'm a total hands-on learner, I never use tutorials and learn as I go so I apparently may have missed the part about where you can clean out the media cache in the preferences pull down.  It has bugged me since day 1 that when I start a new project, you still see all the old media files in the organizational tab that you just used on the last project but I just assumed that is how the software worked......

so after we were able to get it "tricked" and make the project open without freezing....he looked through all the pulldowns and found that function.....I am too exhausted to figure out whether it is a complete fix but each time he has tried it again...it has been opening projects and creating new ones without difficulty.  I am certain that I had a ton of media in the cache because I perform video conversions from VHS to DVD on a DVD recorder and then rip the DVDs to VOB files for editing purposes.  I was just overloading the stinkin' system apparently and these files were the straw that broke the camel's back....I HOPE.

I'm sure this was a trivial issue and therefore almost too simple to figure out....isn't that life though?  Go ahead now, throw tomatoes at the novice....LOL!

• 7. Re: Why is my 7.0 PE not responding anymore? could a corrupt VOB file cause this?
                      Kodebuster Level 3

No tomatoes, many of us are just home grown users such as yourself, trying to learn a thing or two from each other.

Regarding your workflow and ripping VOB's from DVD's for import into PE.

I do the same, but but my workflow goes one step further by converting all VOB's to DV-AVI before loading them into PE.

Here's how I get there:

Cyberlink PowerDirector to rip DVD's to Mpeg2. (Cyber will only rip from Disc to Mpeg2).

Import the Mpeg2 back to PowerDirector, and Produce (export) to DV-AVI Type II.

This DV-AVI is then used with PE.

PE LOVES DV-AVI, so if you can get to this format, do it and things will improve in all aspects.

If you don't have PowerDirector, I'm pretty sure you can use VirtualDub (Freeware) to go from VOB directly to DV-AVI.

A common problem with multiple VOB's off of one DVD is Video/Audio sync issues. This will manifest itself by the audio going out-of-sync towards the tail end of individual VOB files.

This can usually be resolved by combining the VOB's via the Command Prompt (in DOS) to one large VOB file. Then converting the large VOB to a format that PE likes best (DV-AVI).

Check this link for details:

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2469

When strange things start happening within PE, conversion to DV-AVI is usually the ticket to the Promised Land...

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Why is my 7.0 PE not responding anymore? could a corrupt VOB file cause this?
                        mrsbuelna Level 1

great additional info on the VOB front..........even when I used 2.0 (that was the last version I used)......I always noticed VOBs were always choppy once burned and found online a tip to using a "reverse field dominance" on them fixed the problem... I don't think I've continued that in 7.0 that I recall (all my recent projects have been direct DV camcorder capturing).  I'll have to implement some of those tips now..........I always run into a glitch or two with audio/video sync on VOB files too so now I just have no choice but to listen to this advice.

• 9. Re: Why is my 7.0 PE not responding anymore? could a corrupt VOB file cause this?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

VOB's are primarily MPEG-2 encoded, muxed (combined Video & Audio) files, though they can contain other things, as well. MPEG-2 files, brought into an NLE often do exhibit OOS (Out Of Sync) issues. Some are constant, and easily fixed. More often, however they drift over time. While this can be fixed too, there is much more hand-work involved.

PE will Import and work with many VOB's (the "cleaner" they are, the better. By "cleaner" I mean containing JUST the MPEG-2 file.). Still, PE is based on the use of DV-AVI Type II files. What happens with the VOB's that Import properly, is that PE does the conversion internally. Often this is a good conversion, though it does take computer resources, and often editing is slowed by the program having to process the files beyond the functions of editing them.

The better method for working with VOB's is to rip the DVD and then convert the MPEG-2 files to DV-AVI Type II outside of PE. The BEST method is to go to the original footage, before it is Transcoded and Burned to DVD, but that is not always possible. For the former, here is an ARTICLE by Jeff Bellune from the Adobe Encore forum. While he's talking about getting the material into Encore (for burning a new DVD with navigational changes, i.e. Menus, etc.) his method holds true for getting the files into PE, or PrPro.

As I said, PE will work with some VOB's. When it does, little problems are common and the overhead to edit the files is much higher. Often, this necessary overhead taxes minimal computer too much and something crashes, or hangs.

Good luck,

Hunt