2 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 6:12 PM by ChrisProsser

[MAC] aerender via terminal over ssh root

jonnyflash

Hey,

I am attempting to start a render on a mac over ssh via the terminal.  On my test mac I can only get the command to work if I run it as root, however I will be needing to do this on an OSX Xserv cluster where I will not have root access.  Here are the errors I get.

On my test Mac, not root:

"_RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.
      aerender ERROR -609: AESend failed to send apple event at line 712"

On the cluster, not root:
      "kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of session allowed for root and console user only
      INIT_Processeses(), could not establish the default connection to the WindowServer.Abort trap"

Is there anyway for me to start a render remotely, without being logged in as root?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: [MAC] aerender via terminal over ssh root
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

jonnyflash wrote:

Is there anyway for me to start a render remotely, without being logged in as root?

I don't think so. What you are trying to do is basically to break out of the security sandbox of your SSH connection which by all means is fundmanetally evil. What you would have to do is decouple the process from your connection by sending it to the background. Back then in my SGI days we used the background alias all the time to do this, but I think the native way merely attaches a parameter by calling the PID. From what a quick search turned up, on OSX this seems to be the ampersand (&). Short of that, the convenient way is naturally doing it in a remote desktop or via a virtualisation software....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: [MAC] aerender via terminal over ssh root
            ChrisProsser Adobe Employee

You get this issue because AE render still needs access to certain services provided by the window server (things like mapping process id's).

If you log in via ssh under the same account that is currently logged into the machine, you can run aerender.

http://seriss.com/rush-current/issues-afterfx-6.5/index.html#OSX

--chris