5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2009 10:41 AM by Gregg_B

XMLSocket problem

Gregg_B

Hi All,

I'm trying to use the XMLSocket object to send some simple strings to the Java Server.

(The java server is just a simple socketServer included in the Flex 3.0 API documentation for XMLSocket)

Each time I send the string to the server it freezes it.

For example, I have this in my .as file.

private function sendToXMLSocket(xmlMsg:String):void
      {
              import flash.net.XMLSocket;
              import flash.net.Socket;

var sock:XMLSocket = new XMLSocket("localhost", 7778);
              sock.send(xmlMsg);   
      }

I have just a form with one button on it and the above method is executed when I click on that button.

The xmlMsg string is just this for now: "greggreggreg\n"

The JavaSimpleServer receives it and I can see it printed to the console but when I click one more time on the button nothing gets accross.

The messages (and number of messages depends on how many times I click on the button) don't get transmitted unless

I click on the X to close the window and terminate the program.

Only then I can see all of the messages on the other side.

I can't figure what seems to be a problem. I'm thinking that this is happening (maybe) due to the fact that the XMLSocket appends a zero byte at the end of each message sent to the server. Is this a problem?

By the way, original code for the JavaSimpleServer  was closing an incoming socket connection right after the first message got to it. I removed that line of code (incoming.close()) becasue I'd like to be able to send as many messages as I can. So I need to keep the socket connection open.

(This all works for me when I send messages from Java client.)

Can someone help?

Thanks

Greg

• 1. Re: XMLSocket problem
          Gregg_B Level 1

So I switched from XMLSocket to just plain Socket.

I have this now:

var sock:Socket = new Socket();
                      sock.addEventListener(IOErrorEvent.IO_ERROR, onIOError);
                      sock.connect("localhost", 7778);
                      sock.writeUTFBytes(xmlMsg);
                      sock.flush();

But nothing gets transmitted unless I close the Flex app.

I don't get this. What seems to be a problem?

I read an API docs twice and it says that writeUTFBytes (or any other write methods) are just putting stuff in a buffer

the flush() is the one that signals that the buffer content needs to be sent.

I'm doing just that and still I get nothing on the other side unless I close the Flex app.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Greg

• 2. Re: XMLSocket problem
            _Natasha_ Level 4

Hi Greg,

You can write to socket only after Event.CONNECT event dispatched. As I understand for XMLSocket you haven't call connect() method at all.

See example from docs.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/flash/net/XMLSocket.html#includeExamplesSummary

• 3. Re: XMLSocket problem
              Gregg_B Level 1

No Natasha,

The line:  var sock:XMLSocket = new XMLSocket("localhost", 7778);

already establishes the connection. Instead of calling the connect() method I just use the constructor of XMLSocket to this job.

It works and I can send stuff to the server. I can also see it on the server. What causes the problem is the additional

ZERO Byte attached to the XML string sent. I don't know whose idea was to create such object (the XMLSocket object)

that gets this additional zero byte at the end. I think is stupid and I'd fired the programmer that design this..........

I got around the problem using the Socket object instead.

Thanks

• 4. Re: XMLSocket problem
                Lopo Nopo Level 1

Hahaha!

By the way - why do you create a new connection per message every time?

I'd fire a programmer who does that in a commercial product as well

• 5. Re: XMLSocket problem
                  Gregg_B Level 1

Simply because I can.

It doesn't matter at the moment.

This suppose to be only a test/sample program for someone smart here to tell me how to married

flash client with java server. (how to get the XML string to the other side)

I got it to work, however, the problem remains for those trying to do the same.

Did you write it?

LOL