9 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 12:02 PM by the_wine_snob

Music not in sync

rgmcmanys Level 1

I finally got my slideshow to render, that I made in PSE6 and sent to PE7, now the music that I worked so hard to edit in PSE6 with the pictures are not in sync in PE7, is this normal? What can I do?

• 1. Re: Music not in sync
          Paul_LS Level 4

Are you looking at the exported slideshow or the preview within PE7? If with an exported slideshow is this a video file or DVD?

If you are using a slideshow from PSE6 then it is likely your slideshow video format in PE7 is WMV. This is a compressed format, dependant on your processor you may need to render the timeline (press Enter key on keyboard) for the video to play back smoothly and without audio sync issues.

However I see you say you got the slideshow to render... I assume you mean export (or burn)??? So does the video playback in sync in the preview in PE7 and it is only out of sync after export/burning?

• 2. Re: Music not in sync
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Is you OOS (Out Of Sync) issue a constant OOS, or does it drift, i.e. losing sync early with the degree of OOS being more with time?

If it is the former, the "fix" will be fairly easy. If it is the latter, the issue will need to be addressed earlier on. Paul_LS is working with you on the issue, and is on the right track. Regardless of which type of OOS problem you face, a fix at the file level is always the best. If you do have a constant OOS, and cannot find the cure for the underlying cause, I'll be glad to step you through a fairly simple process for re-establshing sync in PE. I won't bore you with it now, because I do not think you'll end up having to use it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Music not in sync
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I posted the article into TIPS & TRICKS in this forum, should you find that you need to correct OOS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Music not in sync
                rgmcmanys Level 1

After reloading slideshow into Pe7, The only music not in sync was the second song that I  edited in PS6 to trim a little bit of the start of the song.  It works perfectly in PS6, but PE7 is about 9 seconds behind.  I played with it in PS6 so that it would start at the same place in PE7, but then the end of the slideshow is off!  I don't understand, this is why I bought PE7 and added more hard drive and more memory, why does it not just copy it like it is in PS so that I can record it to a dvd?

• 5. Re: Music not in sync
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Out of curiosity, what format is the music in? It could well be that PSE is having an easier time with the format & CODEC (basically it only has to play it), than is PE. Also, are you Rendering and Exporting from PSE (in WMV format?), or are you linking directly from PSE to PE?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Music not in sync
                    rgmcmanys Level 1

Hi, I am sending my slideshow to premeire elements in the output tab and then I render it when it gets to premeire. The music is a mp3 song "Let them be Little" by Billy Dean.  It has a long intro, so I trimmed it in PS6 to start at "I rememeber when, you fit in the palm of my hand," the next line is "you felt so good in it" and that is where it starts in PE7.

This is the method I used, so let me know if this is correct, so when I do my next slideshow, I can be sure I am doing it right.

I make my slideshow in PS6, edit and resize my photos, then in output I send to PE, when it is loaded, I go to sceneline and break apart the slideshow and then I go to timeline and render it.

Just another question, when I do get this project going, I wanted to make a Menu with just play on it and use a picture in the slideshow, is there a template for this or do you have to use the templates that come with PE7. Thanks for all of your help.

• 7. Re: Music not in sync
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh I hate it, when the site goes down and dumps my reply. Here goes my second attempt:

Looking at your workflow, I do not see any problems. Unfortunately, I do not use PSE & PE to create my SlideShows, so I am possibly missing something obvious to those, who do.

I strongly recommend that you also post to Muvipix into the "Community" area (like the Adobe forum). The reason for this is that there are many there, who use PSE and PE for just what you are doing. One subscriber, BarbO, teaches PSE and PE, and creates a lot of SlideShows with these two programs. Besides BarbO, there are many others.

Now, Muvipix is a multi-faceted site. One can post/read in the Community area. With a sign-up, they will have access to Functional Content, like Menus, stock footage, and music. Some is free, or available for a price. At the subscriber level, all Functional Content, including all tutorials and articles, will be free. One can pay for the subscription with just a few downloads.

As for your Menu question, I believe that PE will only allow the thumbnails on the Scene Selection Menus, and not on the Main Menus. These two come as a "set," and are used together. Someone might be able to correct me and point you to a Main Menu, that has a Video Placeholder, where your Poster Frame would appear. One can also create a Menu for specific purposes, or adapt a Library Template Menu for their needs. However, before they attempt this, I’d strongly suggest that they watch the Muvipix tutorials on doing so. It’s not hard, but there are some very specific conventions that MUST be followed. The tutorials will step them through the process, and point out exactly how it MUST be done.

I use another program for DVD authoring, and can do anything that I can dream of (within the DVD-specs.), regarding navigation. A similar program is DVD Architect. Steve Grissetti has just released a book on working with that program. He also did many of the Muvipix tutorials. That program is relatively inexpensive and seems to be very powerful. It gets good recommendations everywhere that I read of it.

As of your MP3 format Audio Asset, MP3's can cause problems. However, most of these usually are at Import, and you have gotten past that, plus seem to have been able to edit the file, so you should be "home free" there. Still, MP3 is a very highly compressed format. Quality is fairly low, IMO. If one can get back to the WAV file, before any MP3, or similar, compression, quality will be much better. If one is ripping from CD, then keep the ripped file in WAV format, and do not compress to MP3. If MP3 is all that is available, just be aware that the file is compressed, the quality has been compromised and some MP3's can cause problems.

I wish that I was more familiar with the PSE to PE SlideShow workflow. Others are, and they can be of more direct help to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Music not in sync
                        rgmcmanys Level 1

Thanks Wine Snob for your suggestions.  I'm going to post on muvipixs.  I ended up saving my slideshow to WMV file and then opening PE7 and importing it.  I could not break it apart, but I was able to make a menu.  By doing it this way, my music was in sync and also my fonts were messsed up when I sent it directly to PE7 and that was corrected by doing it this way.  It really sucks, that I paid $90 for PE7, purchased more memory and hard drive space to use it and its not doing what I wanted it to do.  Before I upgrade to PS7 so that it is more compatible, I think I want to try out more software, you can message me with any suggestions. Thanks again!

• 9. Re: Music not in sync
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

There is also a recent thread on this forum, regarding SlideShows from PSE to PE. I noticed that BarbO responded to that poster's question. I'll see if I can find the link to that discussion.

Have to be honest and admit that I do not use PSE, so have never built a SlideShow in it, especially one linked/Imported to PE. Do not know if BarbO's responses will be of any help to you. I do know that many in the Muvipix "Community" do this all of the time and are very knowledgable with the operations. You might want to include a link to this post in your post to Muvipix, as maybe some of the detail and discussion will be of use.

Also, think about adding a link to the Muvipix discussion to this post, so others can benefit from the discussion. That really helps someone with the same problem/questions, who discovers the article in one forum. Sometimes, the answers follow in the other forum and a link between the two discussions can help them.

Good luck, and I plan on learning something from your discussions,

Hunt