15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 12:01 AM by xXNorakuXx

A specific question

xXNorakuXx

Hey everyone,

I don't have much/any experience with "Adobe After Effects", I need to get something done. At the moment I am not trying to learn how to do everything, I just need to get this thing done before I can start learning.

I have a pre-made video, its a logo, although I need to change a few of the effects and add some new things to it.

This is what I was planning:

Making the sub-text start to turn into a rocky like texture (if needed I have made a rock texture in Photoshop) and eventually crumbling away to leave a new word.

Changing the "red circle" background (part of the logo) to a icy, lighty blue colour as soon as the new word appears.

Making a "nova-like" wave of icy blue light come out of the background circle as the new word appears.

I need to get this done, at this point in time, just this. If someone could help me through this that would be great!

I am messing around with it, have been for a few hours now, I have realised, though, that I may not be able to do this myself, not within the time frame I have. I would need a lot more time to go through all those tutorials and learn everything about After Effects to get what I need to get done.

I would be eternally grateful!

Without wax,

Norak.

P.S.If you need any more info in any form please, tell me, it would save me much time to get this done with the help of professionals/experienced members.

• 1. Re: A specific question
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

To be brutally honest, it's very hard to know what you're asking without seeing the subject of the discussion.  Can you post a still or footage file of the logo?

• 2. Re: A specific question
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I can kinda picture it, but to add more brutal honesty to the discussion: If it's supposed to look "cool", just hire someone to do it for you. Nobody will write 3 pages of tutorials just explaining the various effects involved. In particular natural phenomena require lots of finetuning to look credible and I don't see that happening just bey telling you which effect to apply to which layer.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: A specific question
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> Making the sub-text start to turn into a rocky like texture (if needed I have made a rock texture in Photoshop) and eventually crumbling away to leave a new word.<

"Crumbling away" requires learning how to use and animate Shatter. That will take you about three days.

> Changing the "red circle" background (part of the logo) to a icy, lighty blue colour as soon as the new word appears.<

Tint is an easy effect to animate.

>Making a "nova-like" wave of icy blue light come out of the background circle as the new word appears.< >

Create a new layer and apply a circle or elliptical mask to the layer. Use Stroke to colorize the mask path. Animate the scale and position of the layer or the mask position and shape to get the nova-ish wave you are after. Then you can stat applying composite blur or other procedural mapping effects. You can also apply lens flares (which will require locating and learning how use Unmult) and Light Rays or Light Burst to enhance that effects sequence. Easier probably to precompose and prerender it separately.

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: A specific question
                xXNorakuXx Level 1

Thanks guys!

I love it how fast you guys are to respond.

Well with your help I have been able to do a lot. I am learning the shatter effect and how to animate it now.

I tried out the tint effect, though it tinted the whole thing. :/

Guess I am going to have to use layers and the such.

One annoying thing about it though, I have looked all over the place and I can't figure out how to set keyframes....

I have checked this out, as it seems it would be the most reliable source:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7dffa.htm l

but I don't have a "stopwatch" anywhere..

I have checked out another tutorial "basic shatter effects" and it says just to change what you want to, move the slider and change again, it should automatically make keyframes for you...Neither have worked so far.

I am trying, but thanks for all you help guys!  Espescially Bogiesan, that really helped man!

[EDIT]Are there even layers in this? I am looking around and I can't seem to make the sub-text a separate layer...UGH! This is gonna be a challenge.

I have attached very primitive planning stage pictures of the product I want to produce.

ADOBE is what it now looks like.

ADOBE2 is what I want it to change into...

• 5. Re: A specific question
                  elaine montoya Level 3

Wow... you really ARE new to After Effects if you don't know how to make a keyframe. After Effects is all about moving, setting, changing parameters through keyframes.

Depending on what you are changing, is where you will click the stop watch.

Have you created a timeline? Dragged any content to the timeline?

if your're in the timeline, you can twirl down the triangle on the layer to look at parameters you can change - and you will see the little stopwatch icon.

FYI - After Effects is an awesome program. It can do a wide range of things - but not unlike any other software application, you have to take the time to learn it.

My recommendation would be to do a quick AE video tutorial on lynda.com to learn the basics. Without that, you will be spinning your wheels. While many of us could provide the details on how to do a wide range of things with AE, including setting keyframes, we would be re-creating the wheel - as there are many tutorials out there. It's really not a good use of our time.

So, take a bit of your time, and go do a tutorial, within an a couple of hours, you will have a basic understanding of how AE works. Then, come back to this forum and post questions where you are stuck...

We are all willing to help - especially those who are willing to help themselves.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: A specific question
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                    > I don't have a stopwatch anywhere.

This page will show you where the stopwatch is.

I strongly recommend that you begin at the beginning. If you like watching video tutorials, then here's a page that provides an ordered set of free video tutorials. If you like to read, then start by reading the documents pointed to in the "Getting started" section on the After Effects Help and Support page.

• 7. Re: A specific question
                      xXNorakuXx Level 1

Ok, thanks guys. I guess I will do it the long(er) way.

If I do have any more problems after doing these tutorials, I will post.

(Y)

[EDIT]I have learned how to use and animate shatter. (sort of)

I have learned the basics of it. Although when I apply it to the logo it just makes the shattering effect black, it doesn't actually shatter the image. Also the shatter is a circle (sphere if you want to get technical ) but I want to shatter the word, as said before, the word is sub-text it would shatter not just the word, but all around it too. :/. Does anyone have a more in-depth shattering tutorial?

• 8. Re: A specific question
                        xXNorakuXx Level 1

[EDIT] Damn, sorry, double post. :/

Is there a delete button?

P.S.I fixed the problem I was having..except for the radius thing. I have the mask drawn up and everything, is there a way I can only affect that area? It still affects the area outside what I have drawn.

I will post what I come up with for future reference. (Y)

P.P.S.Are you sure I should use shatter?

The text is sort-of on the logo and it is annoying to get it working. Unless there are some techniques I don't yet know which would be perfect for this.

I want it to "rock-i-fy" or mold or something, anything to make it look old, then just crumble away to leave a new word..

• 9. Re: A specific question
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                          > I have the mask drawn up and everything, is there a way I can only affect that area?

from the adjustment layers section of After Effects Help:

"Use masks on an adjustment layer to apply an effect to only parts of the underlying layers."

Please do as I suggested in my previous post: Take the time to watch the entire series of video tutorials that I pointed to, from beginning to end, or read the introductory material that I pointed to. It'll just take a weekend or so. And then you'll have a much better grounding. You're trying to do some pretty advanced things with a complex program. You will not succeed by diving into the middle. And you will burn through your good will with the volunteers on a forum like this if you don't appear to be trying to help yourself.

• 10. Re: A specific question
                            xXNorakuXx Level 1

Thanks guys!

I got it done!

Well, sort of.

I have finished the basic product, I also managed to do a bit of fine tuning.

Although I did not figure out how to "use shatter correctly". I have gotten a pretty good end result with my shatter, I just don't know how to make it do said "molding/aging/rock-i-fying effect, then crumbling away" I could only get it to pop out, and even that took awhile to very finely tune the radius til I got the result that matched what I wanted closest. What I was wandering is, can you do what I was hoping to do with shatter? Or do I need to be studying different styles/techniques?

Thanks again,

Norak

• 11. Re: A specific question
                              yenaphe Level 4

If you want to learn AE, VideoCopilot have a good "basic series", definitly worth watching.

• 12. Re: A specific question
                                xXNorakuXx Level 1

Thanks, I guess I could check them out..

I will have to wait until I have enough usage, so that I don't go over, THAT would be expensive.

Well I have been learning it myself, I have learned how to use multiple shatter effects to create a better, overall effect. Now I just need to know how to texture certain parts, smalls areas etc.

I guess I will learn that when I watch those videos. (Y)

Thanks again for your help guys...

Will post progress/questions!

• 13. Re: A specific question
                                  xXNorakuXx Level 1

Okay, I have learnt A LOT. The movie is turning out pretty good!

At the moment, though, I am having a problem...

I have made all the shatter effects, nova effects, and the such, but to add a better shatter effect I used a mask.

Now,  my layers go like this:
                                  Light Over (this is a shine effect)

Nova (this is the circle nova effect)

Word (this is the word with the mask that gets shattered, I think this is my problem)

Movie (this is the movie layer, itself)

text (this is the text that I want to show up behind the movie, it did so before I added the word layer)

Sound FX

Sound FX (I dont think its these )

So if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I am just going with putting the text layer above the word layer, but opaque (invisible) until the crumbling happens...

Thanks again,

Norak.

• 14. Re: A specific question
                                    bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

I'd like to offer a suggestion but I have idea what you're doing, how you're doing it, or what you're seeing on your monitor.

--

david bogie video guy

day2083882463

cell2085149683

fax2083886908

• 15. Re: A specific question
                                      xXNorakuXx Level 1

Ok, I know what you mean, sorry.

Oh, Bogie, you are the one that left that really helpful answer, thank you!

Well, I guees I will post what I have done, by the way, I could'nt have gotten this far without you guys, thank you all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0TLkQPNYdQ&feature=channel