8 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2009 4:31 PM by christheferal

Adobe Media Encoder - Premiere Pro SLOW Rendering

christheferal

Hi, there

I've been using my laptop which has the specs: 2.8ghz intel core 2 extreme, 4gb DDR2 800mhz RAM, 8800m GTS 512mb.

Now, I've been able to export my videos from Premiere Pro on that machine roughly with a 1:5 time ratio, a 1 minute video might take 5 minutes to render, and no, I'm not complaining about the 5 minutes, please read down before you click off.

I've been exporting with these settings:

-h.264

-1280x720

-24fps

-2.0 - 2.3mbps VBR 2 pass

-AAC, 128kbps, stereo, 44.1khz

Anyway... I just installed Master Collection onto my second computer which has the specs: 2.1ghz tri-core AMD Phenom, 4GB DDR2 1066mhz RAM, 9600 GT 512mb (not to mention a faster hard drive)

Now, with this superior machine, it is taking literally over two hours to render a ONE MINUTE video, I have no idea why, I'm using the same settings and have everything up to date.

I've also checked my processes, all three cores are maxed out, I've even adjusted the priority which makes a noticable but little difference.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Chris

• 1. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Premiere Pro SLOW Rendering
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Did anything change in the project itself?  Like added effects?

It's also likely that somewhere along the line you changed the sequence

settings to Maximum Render Quality.  That setting invokes Premiere's

high-quality scaling and deinterlacing, with a huge increase in render

time as a result.  However, the worst I've seen is about 1:20, even with

scaling HD to SD and MRQ selected.  Your export is taking 6 times longer

than that, which is why I inquired about the effects.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Premiere Pro SLOW Rendering
            christheferal Level 1

When I say render, I'm referring to rendering inside of Adobe Media Encoder - unless there is something I don't know when it comes to the setting you're referring to.

Also, yes, it has an animated logo - which I use on the other machine too, same exact animation.

As I was writing this response, I just disabled the logo animation - it renders in 4 minutes. However, I need this animation - I'm wondering what to do. It has a 4Kx2K png animated using the basic 3D effect and HLS effect - though, this doesn't delay rendering on my other computer!??

Hmm, thought of a fix though, I’ll render out my logo animation with a transparent channel, this way I just drag the scaled down animation on top of my videos, should improve the render time.

• 3. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Premiere Pro SLOW Rendering
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Why are you using a 4K x 2K PNG when it is only a small logo? You could likely reduce the size to something like 400 x 200 or less, even in HD if it is a logo. That would remove quite some overhead and improve rendering times.

• 4. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Premiere Pro SLOW Rendering
                the_wine_snob Level 9

And, if it's created to the size required in, say PS, the quality is likely to be much better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Premiere Pro SLOW Rendering
                  christheferal Level 1

"Why are you using a 4K x 2K PNG when it is only a small logo? You could likely reduce the size to something like 400 x 200 or less, even in HD if it is a logo. That would remove quite some overhead and improve rendering times."

Because some of the animation has it zoomed in, as if it'd landing down on the video.

• 6. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Premiere Pro SLOW Rendering
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

If I understand correctly, you are not talking about a logo, but about a PIP, right? A logo is just a still image, but you are using moving images in a small place on the screen. Your render time problems could well stem from that approach because the original image first needs to be scaled down from 4K x 2K to your sequence settings, then further scaled down to the position and scale you use in the motion effect. I would try to scale down your animation to your sequence settings and proceed from there. Maybe the crop effect could also help.

• 7. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Premiere Pro SLOW Rendering
                      christheferal Level 1

"If I understand correctly, you are not talking about a logo, but about a PIP, right? A logo is just a still image, but you are using moving images in a small place on the screen. Your render time problems could well stem from that approach because the original image first needs to be scaled down from 4K x 2K to your sequence settings, then further scaled down to the position and scale you use in the motion effect. I would try to scale down your animation to your sequence settings and proceed from there. Maybe the crop effect could also help."

Well yes, it's a PIP of a logo

I would crop it and scale it down but then Premiere Pro won't do the 3D effect, it'll crop my image when I turn the image using Basic 3D - which I totally expected with the amount of money it cost, disappointing. I would have otherwise use a 1280x720 sized image.

• 8. Re: Adobe Media Encoder - Premiere Pro SLOW Rendering
                        christheferal Level 1

Thanks for all your help folks, I think I'm going to just render out the logo with an alpha channel - I tried a 10 second clip of the logo with an alpha channel, the video rendered on the TIMELINE in about 5 seconds which was good enough for me