5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2009 1:05 PM by the_wine_snob

Dealing with the "beta" format

way2tall Level 1

Hi,

I have CS3 Prod. Prem. on Win XP.  I usually use consumer grade cameras, Canon HV30, for example.  I have a need to include some footage that unfortunately has only been described to me as "beta".  I think this means the common professional format also know as: Digital Betacam, Digibeta, d-beta, dbc or Digi, but I am not sure.

I don't think I would be receiving a tape, what format would this material typically be in to transfer to me in soft form?  With CS3, is it true I need a .avi of this?  Does it help if I also have Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0.

thanks for any ideas,

fred

• 1. Re: Dealing with the "beta" format
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If possible, I'd ask for the footage in DV-AVI Type II with PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio. The delivery scheme could be DVD-Data. It would be better to let the supplier of the footage handle any conversions, if at all possible. This will give you footage that can be easily Imported into PrPro and allow for easy editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Dealing with the "beta" format
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I think this means

Find out for sure.  It's difficult for us to give sound, relevant advice without specific details.

• 3. Re: Dealing with the "beta" format
              way2tall Level 1

Thanks Jim,

I will find out.  Before I posted, I attempted to use the Prem Pro help to determine exactly what formats it can use.  I did not find a section like that.  I see people using .mov and of coarse, .avi.  I know formats aren't as simple as one might think as they involve a transport layer and an inner codec layer (at least that my pitiful understanding to date).  Above, Hunt and a wikipedia entry seemed to indicate DV-AVI Type II only, not type I.   Does anyone know if or  where PP defines accepable  video input types?   Or is it too dependent on your OS and what you have installed?

thanks,

fred

• 4. Re: Dealing with the "beta" format
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For SD work, Pr is designed around a DV-AVI Type II workflow. That is basically what it attempts to convert all other formats TO. If the file is not in that format/CODEC already, most find that external conversion is better. At the very least, it keeps Pr from having to do so internally, robbing resources and performance. Now, some Type I's seem to work fine. Some, however, exhibit OOS (Out Of Sync) issues. These are usually constant OOS and can be fixed by hand. Still, rather than run the risk, I always convert to Type II, before Import. Some Type I's do not seem to Import well, at all. I guess that "it depends... "

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Dealing with the "beta" format
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Does it help if I also have Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0.

Along with the other replies up thread, I have seen a few converted DV-AVI Type II's that do not give me the full Duration, when Imported. In G-Spot, they check out perfectly against others, often converted at the same exact time. Why? I do not know - never found the difference. Still, PrPro would show them as, say 04:00:00, when they were 30:00:00. For these rogue DV-AVI Type II's (remember, they were converted from something else), I just Import them into PrElements (have it for its more lenient Import characteristics), then Export that file as DV-AVI Type II. Yes, I know. That is the same exact format that they were in, when I Imported them into PrE. Now, these newly Exported files show the proper Duration, when Imported into PrPro. I've never found the cause for the truncated Duration issue, but see it enough to have developed an alternative workflow.

With Sony, you might also rely on it, should it be more lenient with Imported formats/CODEC's. I have never used it, so cannot comment. I only use another NLE to "prep" my troublesome files for work in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt