20 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 4:50 PM by YogiPup

Shockwave bombing

YogiPup

I put a Shockwave program made in Director (MX 2004) online about a month ago for the Air Force Academy.  They're having trouble with it locking up their browsers or just kicking them out, depending on which browswer they're using.  I can't replicate the problem on either Firefox or IE7.  It doesn't play well on Chrome, but at least it never locks up for me.  They're using XP Pro, SP3.  I've got SP2, but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it.  They say they can watch their memory usage go up to something like 300 to 350 MB when it starts playing.

Anybody got any ideas what might be causing these problems?  Any ideas for tweaks that would help decrease the memory usage?

You can check the program out at http://www.usafa.org/2013 if you want.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Shockwave bombing
          Mark A. Boyd Level 4

I didn't click everything, but no problems here:

Win XP Pro SP3

1 GB RAM
          FireFox 3.0.10
          SW 11.5.0.595 according to np32dsw.dll

RAM increased by 140 MB for your movie

Also tested in

IE 7

Safari 3.2.2

Opera 9.64

Is it failing for them on load or is it happening in a certain part of the movie? If the latter, is it the same place every time?

Are these failing machines using the same virus checkers with the same settings? Especially if it is checking http content.

Any browser toolbars in common? (I don't have Yahoo or Google toolbars since I always refuse those)

--
          Mark A. Boyd
          Keep-On-Learnin' :-)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Shockwave bombing
            Production Monkey Level 3

Win XP Pro, SP3

IE6

2 GB RAM

The load progress bar locked at about 50%.  I then updated Shockwave and there were no problems. Memory usage maxed at 234 MB.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Shockwave bombing
              YogiPup Level 1

Mark,

Thanks a ton for taking a look at it.  I got a little more clarification on their problems.  Apparently in Firefox and Chrome it doesn't crash, it just uses a lot of memory.  In IE it does close up, but not at any specific point. 

I'll ask them about their virus checkers and toolbars.  The guys having the problems are in the same office, so they most likely are using the same software.

• 4. Re: Shockwave bombing
                YogiPup Level 1

Thanks for taking a look at it, Production Monkey.  I'll ask and make sure they've got the latest Shockwave player installed.

• 5. Re: Shockwave bombing
                  YogiPup Level 1

Mark,

Here's the reply I got from the IT guy at the Academy.

IE is the only browser that shuts down.  It doesn’t shut down during the video.  It shuts down while I’m clicking through the checklists.  It just happened again while I was going through the appointee checklist.

No browser toolbars

Shockwave 11.5

Symantec AV 10.1.6

Any of that sound an alarm?  I don't use Symantec, do you?

• 6. Re: Shockwave bombing
                    Mark A. Boyd Level 4

Any of that sound an alarm?  I don't use Symantec, do you?

Never again. Don't get me started on another Symantec rant.

See if turning it off - or if it has features for monitoring http - turn that off.

Does it always happen in the Appointee checklist? There is something different in that section. Could it have anything to do with the audio? I do hear a rather loud click at the beginning of the music for that section. And the whoosh sound plays after the music starts - unlike the other sections where the whoosh plays either before the music, or not until you click one of the sub sections that load more buttons.

Some sections tend to take a while for the audio to begin - and the rest of the page doesn't appear until afterwards. If they have a slow connection or a slow computer, I can see where that might appear to be locked up, but not that it would shut down the browser.

Are you using any memory management (preload, unload, etc...)

And, I'm still in ancient Director territory, but are all your audios using the same sample rate? (44100, 22050, 11025, etc)

Just some thoughts.

--
                    Mark A. Boyd

Message was edited by: Mark A. Boyd - trimmed quote.

• 7. Re: Shockwave bombing
                      YogiPup Level 1

Yeah, I'll see if he can turn it off his anti-virus.  They may not allow him, though.  Funny, I had the same feeling about Symantec years ago.  I honestly didn't figure anyone used it anymore.  Getting rid of that alone did wonderful things for my computer's speed.

All the audio is 11,025 Hz, 16bit.  I am using a lot of preloads.  Don't think I used a single unload, though.  I'll play with some of those and see if I can get things to speed up a little.

I'll have to ask him about whether it only happens in the Appointee section or not.

Thanks for all your ideas.

• 8. Re: Shockwave bombing
                        gresh

Crashes with Vista/IE8 combo on quad machine, Shockwave Player version 11.5.0.596.
                        Antivirus is AVG, and I can get the crash with or without the AV turned on.
                        Crash is intermittent, maybe 1 in 3 runs, mainly on exit.

Firefox seems ok so far.

Paul

• 9. Re: Shockwave bombing
                          YogiPup Level 1

Thanks for the test, Paul.

Anybody have any ideas how to fix things so it'll run okay on IE?  Have any of you ever had a similar experience?

• 10. Re: Shockwave bombing
                            YogiPup Level 1

Hey guys,

I've put several unloads throughout the program and it seems to be running better.  Would you mind checking it out again and see if you have the same experience? 

Paul, I'd especially like your feedback since you were able to reproduce the browser lock-up that the Academy folks were having.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Shockwave bombing
                              Mark A. Boyd Level 4

Uh oh. This time I experienced a crash in IE7.

3 out of 3 sessions:

Main Menu->Appointee checklist->Check Your Engine Intruments
                              Crashes right after the page flip and before any new audio/visuals

New, 4th session:

Main Menu->Appointee checklist->Check Your Personal Equipment->Documents->Security Forms
                              OK

Main Menu->Appointee checklist->Check Your Personal Equipment->Documents->Eyeglass Prescription
                              OK

Main Menu->Parent Checklist->Getting Ready for June 25->Conditioning
                              OK

Main Menu->Appointee checklist->Check Your Engine Intruments
                              Crash (4th time)

RAM increased by approx 128 MB with or without crash. Could see RAM changing, but I also have a lot of programs running ATM.

--
                              Mark A. Boyd
                              If you are reading this via email, be aware that it may not be an accurate representation of my message. Login to read the actual message and/or to reply.

Message was edited by: Mark A. Boyd

• 12. Re: Shockwave bombing
                                gresh Level 1

Sorry -- it's still crashing.

The first time it loaded, it crashed as soon as I hit the "Main Menu" button.

But not the three times after; very strange.

RAM usage seems quite heavy for this kind of project, but that shouldn't be causing a crash...

Paul

• 13. Re: Shockwave bombing
                                  YogiPup Level 1

Thanks guys.  Man, I'm totally bumfuzzled.  The only thing I know for sure is that this is definitely the last thing I'll ever make for Shockwave!

I can't get it to crash no matter what I do, and one guy I had test it running IE on a Vista machine said it was essentially unusable before, but now it runs great and he couldn't get it to crash.  I even made sure he cleared his browser's cache before playing it.  But then it runs worse for you guys.  How much stuff were you running at the same time?  Is that any different than when you tested the previous version?

Paul - I made a couple of minor changes and re-uploaded the program to our server.  I wonder if maybe the crash you got happened to be at the same time I was beaming up the new version.

• 14. Re: Shockwave bombing
                                    Mark A. Boyd Level 4

I don't recall exactly how many programs I had running earlier, but I now have the same number of programs as last week.

Visible windows:

Running Directory Opus with multiple directories open across the LAN, Thunderbird, UltraEdit, cmd window. Plus Task Manager since you brought up the memory question.

Background:

Apache & MySQL (WAMP), ClamWin and various other TSRs specific to this computer's hardware that are always running.

With the exception of Task Manager, that is pretty typical for this box when I'm in the Adobe forums.

Stand by...

Still crashing IE7 while navigating to Main Menu->Appointee checklist->Check Your Engine Intruments

Doesn't crash FF, Safari, or Opera for me.

Same OS and browser versions as last week.

--
                                    Mark A. Boyd
                                    If you are reading this via email, be aware that it may not be an accurate representation of my message. Login to read the actual message and/or to reply.

• 15. Re: Shockwave bombing
                                      YogiPup Level 1

Wow, Mark.  Thanks.  You've certainly poured more time into helping me out with this than I would have expected anyone to do.  I really appreciate it.  Sure wish I knew what was chrashing IE.  I'm stuck in meetings most of the day today . . . maybe some epiphany will strike me during one of those and I'll be able to throw up a fix this afternoon.

Thanks again!

• 16. Re: Shockwave bombing
                                        gresh Level 1

Can you publish the movie again using Director 11.5, or test it with an older plugin?
                                        Maybe shockwave 11.5 in IE is incompatible with something you are doing with the older Director MX2004 authoring environment...

Paul

• 17. Re: Shockwave bombing
                                          YogiPup Level 1

I wish I could, but MX2004 is the latest version I've got. 

Edit:  I just republished it with Shockwave version 8.5.  Would you mind testing it again?  I still can't get it to crash on my computer.

• 18. Re: Shockwave bombing
                                            Mark A. Boyd Level 4

Cleared browser cache of course.

It still crashes for me in the same place every time, though I can hear the page flip sound effect before it crashes.

BUT...If I watch part of the intro video, then Skip to Main Menu, I can then navigate to . . . nevermind. That only worked once. Even after cache cleaning again, I cannot go to Appointee Checklist->Check Your Engine Intruments.

Not much help, that. What is different about the sections in Appointee Checklist?

You might want to look for any behaviors that accidentally got attached to sprites. I've seen that happen once in a while, but I am fishing with that one.

--
                                            Mark A. Boyd

• 19. Re: Shockwave bombing
                                              gresh Level 1

clicking the "Go to main menu" crashes IE8 --

most of the time. It makes no difference if I

empty the cache or restart the browser between

tries.
                                              Otherwise I am getting similar experiences

that Mark is getting.

Paul

• 20. Re: Shockwave bombing
                                                YogiPup Level 1

What is different about the sections in Appointee Checklist?

Nothing as far as I know.  At least it wasn't intentional.  But I'll keep looking to see if anything jumps out at me that I didn't see before.

Thanks again, Mark and Paul, for all your help.

-Matt