8 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2009 9:05 PM by harryshin

ACR 5.4 Beta shows up with Japanese Text

harryshin

hi:

1.  i just downloaded--> installed ACR 5.4 beta and DNG.

2.  the DNG looks normal (ie just like the prior version etc...).

3.  however, when i open up ACR, everything is in japanese text, including the photoshop headers etc...  no big deal at this time, because i'm sure this is going to be fixed and i know what all the sliders are about etc...    but just an FYI.

• 1. Re: ACR 5.4 Beta shows up with Japanese Text
          jayfar is my name

Did you perhaps move or rename the previous version of the plugin first? See my post in the other thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436562?tstart=0

• 2. Re: ACR 5.4 Beta shows up with Japanese Text
            harryshin Level 1

hi:

1. thanks for the helpful tip--> unfortunately, i got rid of my prior version of ACR. 

2. thus, what do i need to do inorder to get rid of the japanese text in ACR???    i did all of the usual things and went into photoshop preferences in re: language, but it apparently has no effect on ACR.   when i went into the preferences for ACR--> it's all in japanese in the first place. 

3. can someone help me undo this mess?  

thanks. harry

• 3. Re: ACR 5.4 Beta shows up with Japanese Text
              Thomas Knoll Level 2

You need to manually copy a good copy of a previous version of the Camera Raw 5.x plug-in (e.g. 5.3) into the correct location, and then rerun the 5.4RC installer.

• 4. It was a bit more complicated for me.
                jayfar is my name Level 1

I followed my previous habit of setting the old Camera Raw plugin aside, prior to installing the new, in case I wanted to revert. Apparently the installer refers to the existing plugin to decide what language settings to use - I ended up with all ACR buttons and menus displaying in an Asian character set.

Then after manually restoring the 5.3 version to its rightful place, I had to jump through some hoops before PS or Bridge could see it (and the 5.4 installer was insisting that 5.4 was already installed.) Deleting prefs did nothing, nor did rebooting. I finally got it back to sanity by running cameraprofiles.mpkg from the 5.3 download. However, now I still couldn't rerun the 5.4 installer, as it insisted 5.4 was already installed. I was finally able to get the 5.4 installer to work, only by rerunning the PS CS4 installer to reinstall CS4 (no need to uninstall, just choose install.)

• 5. Re: ACR 5.4 Beta shows up with Japanese Text
                  harryshin Level 1

thomas:

1.  thanks for the info.

2.  as per what the other person noted--> what you suggested isn't that easy (basically i'm stuck).

3.  first of all, i was able to find--> download a prior version or ACR--> manually placed it in the correct spot--> fired up a RAW file--> everything looks normal (ie english text etc...). 

4.  i then downloaded ACR 5.4 and proceeded with the reinstall.   however at this point, the installer said that i couldn't install 5.4 because it was already installed in my cpu.    i manually looked as well as did a search for camera raw 5.4 in spotlight--> couldn't find it.    i also searched adobe photoshop help in re: unstalling things--> nothing.

5. thus the question is:  how in the world do i uninstall camera raw 5.4 (i'm not even sure it's in my cpu but the installer thinks it is etc...).

thanks for your help.     harry shin

6.  by the way, while i'm at it, in adobe bridge, 5.4 doesn't recognize my Olympus E-620 raw files (ie can't see the thumbnail image), but when i actually open up the image in ACR--> the image is there etc...  thus, there's also funky going on with bridge. 

• 6. Re: ACR 5.4 Beta shows up with Japanese Text
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

harryshin wrote:

…did a search for camera raw 5.4 in spotlight--> couldn't find it.

Spotlight is a piece of cr@p.  I have it permanently disabled.

Try EasyFind (freeware) instead.

• 7. Re: ACR 5.4 Beta shows up with Japanese Text
                      jayfar is my name Level 1

As I mentioned in a previous post, only by reinstalling PS CS4 was I then able to again run the ACR 5.4 RC installer. You don't have to explicitly uninstall CS4 to reinstall, you just run the CS4 installer, choose install, and it takes care of everything. Of course you'll also subsequently want/need to allow CS4 to update from 11.0 to 11.1 etc. Then the ACR 5.4 installer will run without protest.

• 8. Re: ACR 5.4 Beta shows up with Japanese Text
                        harryshin Level 1

jayfar:

1.  thanks for the 2nd post--> i didn't like the thought of having to reinstall PS CS4, but after you mentioned it, i whipped out my CS4 disc--> installed that and then did the ACR 5.4-> now everything works perfectly.

2.  thanks for the help.

harry