1. thanks for the helpful tip--> unfortunately, i got rid of my prior version of ACR.
2. thus, what do i need to do inorder to get rid of the japanese text in ACR??? i did all of the usual things and went into photoshop preferences in re: language, but it apparently has no effect on ACR. when i went into the preferences for ACR--> it's all in japanese in the first place.
3. can someone help me undo this mess?
You need to manually copy a good copy of a previous version of the Camera Raw 5.x plug-in (e.g. 5.3) into the correct location, and then rerun the 5.4RC installer.
I followed my previous habit of setting the old Camera Raw plugin aside, prior to installing the new, in case I wanted to revert. Apparently the installer refers to the existing plugin to decide what language settings to use - I ended up with all ACR buttons and menus displaying in an Asian character set.
Then after manually restoring the 5.3 version to its rightful place, I had to jump through some hoops before PS or Bridge could see it (and the 5.4 installer was insisting that 5.4 was already installed.) Deleting prefs did nothing, nor did rebooting. I finally got it back to sanity by running cameraprofiles.mpkg from the 5.3 download. However, now I still couldn't rerun the 5.4 installer, as it insisted 5.4 was already installed. I was finally able to get the 5.4 installer to work, only by rerunning the PS CS4 installer to reinstall CS4 (no need to uninstall, just choose install.)
1. thanks for the info.
2. as per what the other person noted--> what you suggested isn't that easy (basically i'm stuck).
3. first of all, i was able to find--> download a prior version or ACR--> manually placed it in the correct spot--> fired up a RAW file--> everything looks normal (ie english text etc...).
4. i then downloaded ACR 5.4 and proceeded with the reinstall. however at this point, the installer said that i couldn't install 5.4 because it was already installed in my cpu. i manually looked as well as did a search for camera raw 5.4 in spotlight--> couldn't find it. i also searched adobe photoshop help in re: unstalling things--> nothing.
5. thus the question is: how in the world do i uninstall camera raw 5.4 (i'm not even sure it's in my cpu but the installer thinks it is etc...).
thanks for your help. harry shin
6. by the way, while i'm at it, in adobe bridge, 5.4 doesn't recognize my Olympus E-620 raw files (ie can't see the thumbnail image), but when i actually open up the image in ACR--> the image is there etc... thus, there's also funky going on with bridge.
…did a search for camera raw 5.4 in spotlight--> couldn't find it.
Spotlight is a piece of cr@p. I have it permanently disabled.
Try EasyFind (freeware) instead.
As I mentioned in a previous post, only by reinstalling PS CS4 was I then able to again run the ACR 5.4 RC installer. You don't have to explicitly uninstall CS4 to reinstall, you just run the CS4 installer, choose install, and it takes care of everything. Of course you'll also subsequently want/need to allow CS4 to update from 11.0 to 11.1 etc. Then the ACR 5.4 installer will run without protest.
1. thanks for the 2nd post--> i didn't like the thought of having to reinstall PS CS4, but after you mentioned it, i whipped out my CS4 disc--> installed that and then did the ACR 5.4-> now everything works perfectly.
2. thanks for the help.