21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2009 10:03 AM by Jim_Simon

imported avi not playing right..acts like still image

browndrake2

I am very new to premiere.  I am currently using the 30 day trial.

My brother supplied several clips and asked me to edit them.  They were in mpg format.   I converted them to avi with Super, so that premiere would import them.  All worked well and I finished compiling/editing it all.

The problem began when I my computer got problems and I had to reformat.  I backed up all of my files (I thought) and then reformated my computer, reinstalled premiere and opened the project file.

In acutality, I had backuped up the source files..mpgs and not the converted or avi files.  Now, I am trying to reconvert the source files and re import them.  However, I do not remember the settings that I used and can not get the video to import right.  The avi play wonderfully, outside of premiere, but upon import, 30-40 seconds of video will display as one or two still images.  The audio plays without problem, but not the video.

I have tried several different settings and codecs for encoding and come up with the same problem.

(yes, I have learned many important lessons...)

What I don't understand is how everything went so flawlessly the first go round and now I can not get any of my videos to import/play correctly.

I had googled myself crazy coming up with the proper settings/codecs to use but can not find the references I used the first time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  The video is of my grandfather's funeral, for some family members that were out of the country at the time.

Thanks

aaron

• 1. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is very likely a CODEC issue. What CODEC did you choose for your AVI files, when you converted with Super? It is also likely that you had a good CODEC (if they worked before) and have not replaced that one, since the reformat. If you do not remember the exact setting in Super, use G-Spot to get that info. It will also tell you if there is a missing CODEC and what it's exact name is. This sort of behavior is very common with DivX and Xvid CODEC's, but also some others.

As you found out, the trial does not touch anything MPEG. The full version will have everything that you need. This also means that you will need to use a different authoring program, than Encore, if you wish to go to DVD-Video.

Good luck, and let us know what G-Spot tells you,

Hunt

• 2. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I have tried several different settings and codecs

There are only two that you should be using.  At standard definition resolutions, create DV files.  At HD resolutions, use DVCPRO HD.

• 3. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
              browndrake2 Level 1

Thanks both.  I have been moving over the weekend and only now have internet again.  I will try as advised and reply back.

aaron

• 4. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                browndrake2 Level 1
                and let us know what G-Spot tells you

Unless I missed the mark.  G-Spot can't really tell me anything unless I have the avi.  The problem is that I have the source mpg and not the end avi.

also,  Knowing now which codecs to use in the future, is nice...but does not really help with what I did before.

btw. I have re encoded the mpg with dv and several other codecs.  None of them play properly in premiere.  It is surprising as all converted and played flawlessless last week...before the hd format.

thanks again

aaron

• 5. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Aaron,

Unfortunately, without knowing about the original AVI file, and what you did in PrPro, no one can possibly help you correct the resulting Exported MPEG file.

Where do you see this MPEG file hanging on just the first frame? Is it in a player? Is it back in PrPro? Dowload and try it in VLC Player. It can handle a lot of different CODEC's well, and might at least let you play the file.

Also, if you deleted the original source AVI, check your Recycle Bin, it might still be there. That file will be the key to unlock the mystery.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    None of them play properly in premiere.  It is surprising as all converted and played flawlessless last week...before the hd format.

This could well be because you HAD a required CODEC then, but do not have it now, after a reformat.

Use G-Spot to tell you about your MPEG, the one(s) that will not play in PrPro. It will tell you what CODEC is required, and also if you have it properly installed. It'll be much easier if you just do a screen-cap of G-Spot, with all of the info. That will save you a lot of transcription time, and will also help others see every aspect of your file's info.

G-Spot screen-cap with important info highlighted:

G-Spot Screen 01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                      browndrake2 Level 1

The problem is not with the exported mpg.

My source files were mpg.

could not import them

converted to avi

imported avi into prpro

before fomatting hd I backed up souce files...mpg  but NOT converted files...avi

upon re-opening proj in prpro it asked for path to files...

the files no longer existed.

I attempted to re encode the mpg as avi..but had playback errors upon opening in prpro

Tried with various codecs to see if that was the problem.

problem solved  --->>

the problem was not of video codec, but seems to have been of audio codec.

even though the audio had been playing back fine, and the video was stalling...the problem seems to have been with the audio codec, as it now appears to be working....after changing the audio codec.

Thanks for the feedback

aaron

• 8. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

the problem was not of video codec, but seems to have been of audio codec.

even though the audio had been playing back fine, and the video was stalling...the problem seems to have been with the audio codec, as it now appears to be working....after changing the audio codec.

Aaron,

That's good news. Thanks for reporting back.

Next time that you are faced with an MPEG file that will not Import, or work correctly in PrPro, use G-Spot to get all of the info on that file. With the proper CODEC, you might be able to Import and edit. Still, have even the right CODEC installed, does not mean that PrPro can use it properly.

If you do convert the file (almost always a good thing to do), make sure that you convert it to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio, for SD files. This is what PrPro works with best, so you want to give it something that it really likes. It will return the "favor," and give you a more pleasant editing experience.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                          madisonkenneth

I too had this same problem in which I could not get my CS4 Premiere to work with AVI files after changing some things on my computer.  What I had done was get rid of Pinnacle Studio 11 which I was using before I installed CS4.  My thinking was to reclaim more space on my hard drive and force to me NOT use Studio Plus (It's an easy program to use to get the job done), so I deleted that program and its associated files.  That's when the problem started.  After that I reformatted my hard drive for a clean start and still Premiere would not work with avi files after reinstalling.

After visiting this forum for a couple of days and reading Harms and Wine Snobs comments along with others, I figured that all I had to do was load codecs from another video editing program (with Pinnacle Studio Plus 11 my program of choice, duh) and it solved my problem. SO that was my fix and thanks all of you guys for your input that helped to lead to my solution.

Oh yeah, my problem was that AVI files would NOT play but act like a still with the audio playing fine.

• 10. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Knowing now which codecs to use in the future, is nice...but does not really help with what I did before.

You don't necessarily have to replicate what you did before.  Do it right this time - using DV for standard definition and DVCPRO HD for high definition - and relink them.  The only caution is to make sure they have the same names they used to have.

• 11. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                              browndrake2 Level 1

Again,  thanks for all the help.  I am sure the the tips will help avoid several future mistakes.

Video (more than just conversion and insertion into web content) is a whole new world for me.  It looks like it will be a fun adventure.

There is so much to learn.  There are always learning curves related to new software.  There surely is that with prpro, but being new to video there is also the learning curve related to it...a new genre of expression for me.

thanks

aaron

• 12. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                                feebee45 Level 1

Hi -

I am having this SAME problem. I opened a project I did in 2008 and now the avi file doesnt play back - it's a still. The ONLY different thing about this computer since that project was created - is that Premiere pro CS3 was UNINSTALLED and premiere pro CS4 was INSTALLED.

Was there a codec included in CS3 that is now NOT in cs4 and it just so happened to be used in my .AVI file?

Can someone tell me the quickest way to get this avi file working in CS4?

Would converting it to a MOV be the quickest way? I cant even get quick time to play the file - and it wont tell me why. It said it's missing a component.

Please let me know.

Thank you,

Amanda

• 13. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Chances are the AVI file is not in a standard camera format, and is one that probably should not have been used for editing in the first place.

To correct the matter, convert that AVI to something standard like DV AVI, or something at least editable such as Lagarith for high definition.  Then relink the clip in the bin to the new file.

• 14. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                                    feebee45 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Jim. you must be sick of me by now.

I tried to open in quicktime to conver it - and adobe media encoder - and neither of those will even accept the file at all. So i can not figure out how to conver it. I tried to do that using zillasoft - and was able to convert it to a .mov - but the audio became out of sync.

Do you have any other suggestions, or what I could install - like what codec might be missing?

This thread someone mentions it was an audio codec -

I also did the gspot test - and it said that my computer had the proper codecs for the file. I just dont get it.

• 15. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

What codec did Gspot report?

• 16. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                                        feebee45 Level 1

MP4S

ISO MPEG-4 Video V1

Attached is a screen shot.

I still have not found another solution. encoding it always makes the audio unsync

codec.jpg

• 17. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Use Google to find a converter and convert to MS DV AVI type2 with 48 KHz 16 bit stereo WAV.

The GSpot results clearly show this format is causing all your problems.

• 18. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Amanda,

If I have linked to this ARTICLE already, please forgive me. It will give you some background on "wrappers," which AVI, MOV and most MPEG's can be.

While I get handed a lot of .MOV [Animation COCEC], the BEST conversion is DV-AVI Type II for all SD material. If you are converting, all other options should be avoided, unless you have a very, very good reason to choose them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

QuickTime Pro (US$29 upgrade/unlock) works fine for almost all MPEG-4 assets, when converting to DV-AVI Type II. Just use its Export and choose the DV/DVCPRO Compression. Set your Audio to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                                                feebee45 Level 1

Thanks everyone for your repsonses -

This AVI file wont even open in most converters. it will not open in quicktime PRO. It opens in adobe media encoder on my PC - but then errors out when I try to encode as an AVI (as suggested in some comments above).It wont even OPEN at all in adobe media encoder on my MAC - it flat out says "sorry unacceptable compression in this file or something along those lines).

The strange part about it is that I can open it with Premiere CS3 on a test computer - I am not sure if it is CS3, or if there is some other program on that computer that has the proper codecs ( i think it is Premiere though because I tried on 2 different computers that have the old software).  I encoded as a .MOV so i can work on it on the computer with CS4. I just imported it and it seems to be working.

i am not sure how degraded the video will be now that it will have to be encoded again. The file size is already only 250 MB. from 2.4 GB.

I dont know how I always run into such strange problems.

• 21. Re: imported avi not playing right..acts like still image
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I dont know how I always run into such strange problems.

By working with video not designed for editing.  If you stick with I-frame only supported camera formats, these problems will likely vanish.