Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Error - files unable to open

May 22, 2009 May 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large project, complex file structure, using RoboHelp 8.0. Here is a history of the problem:

1. The application suddenly quit, and I received the error message: "Adobe RoboHelp 8 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

2. I reinstalled RoboHelp, even moved the project to a different computer with a fresh install of RoboHelp, and the application still quit every time I try to open the .xpj file.

3. I renamed the old .xpj file and clicked on the  .hhk file to restore.

4. I received a number of "illegal file" errors as a result of old pdf (baggage) files that had an apostrophe in the file name.  (I have addressed these files per file name).

5. I was able to open the project BRIEFLY from the .hhk.

6. As soon as I opened the Table of Contents, the project closed and I again received the message: "Adobe RoboHelp 8 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I'm trying again, but I have a deadline to meet, and no files available. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Helen S.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2009 May 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting / renaming the XPJ will not fix things. It is the CPD file that you should try deleting / renaming.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with one of my RoboHelp 8 projects

when I initially tried to open the project. I renamed the .cpd file and am able to work without the message appearing.

However, one of the many times when I got the "RoboHelp has to close" error, my

table of contents, index, and glossary files were emptied. They're still there, but there's no content.

Do you think this is a separate issue, or something related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like at that point, you've got a damaged project. Killing the .cpd database may help, but you may be forced to use a backup or start repairing the project as is. You should be looking at solving the "...one of many times when..." issue though - RH shouldn't be crashing on you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would appear that Davis2016's problem is wider.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3662444#3662444

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp