6 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2009 10:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio Settings for Premiere Pro CS4 during capture

R. Cole

During some other discussions regarding audio challenges with PP CS4 someone pointed out that if you analyze a file with G spot it should be in WAV format. I did this and I see my footage is showing PCM Audio at 48000Hz 1536 kb/s tot (2 chnls). Based on the fact that I record SD footage (audio selected to 16 bit 48k) onto a Mini DV tape on a DVX 100B and export via Firewire into PP CS4 does that sound right?

In the Preferences window I have Premiere Pro WDM Sound selected as the default device (Adobe default windows sound and creative ASIO are the other options) . The input and output in Audio Hardware Settings has the Buffer size sliding bar at about 25% across from the left and the Device 32-bit playback is unchecked.

I am just worried about what my dialog will sound like by the time it is edited in PP and send to Encore to export to DVD.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Cole

• 1. Re: Audio Settings for Premiere Pro CS4 during capture
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          does that sound right?

Yes.

I am just worried about what my dialog will sound like

Runs some tests.  Hear for yourself.

• 2. Re: Audio Settings for Premiere Pro CS4 during capture
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree that the #'s look right.

The final result will likely be more dependent on your audio equipment and the connections/interfaces there. You can do some "sweetening" in PrPro and more in SB, or Audition, but the capture part looks pretty good. What equipment are you using for the Audio capture (to the tape)? How is this equipment hooked up to the camera, or other recording device?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Audio Settings for Premiere Pro CS4 during capture
              R. Cole Level 1

Jim- Thanks for the reply.

T_W_S- I feel the audio was captured to the camera properly. I used a Rode NTG-1 with a pop filter connected via XLR to my DVX. I also had a Countryman B6 as back up running through a wireless Sennheiser G2 on the other channel. After testing both once on the timeline I decided to use the fill option to duplicate the Rode onto both channels. I didn't use a mix/pre so it wasn't line level but all other things considered it was quite clean.

With all of the other challenges with audio not playing from time to time I just wanted to make sure my capture settings in PP were correct. I thought I read in another thread that GSpot should have shown the audio as WAV not PCM. Thanks for confirming the settings for me.

Cole

• 4. Re: Audio Settings for Premiere Pro CS4 during capture
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                GSpot should have shown the audio as WAV not PCM.

These are two different things.  WAV is a computer file format for audio files, much like TXT is a format for text files or EXE is a format for executable files (programs).  This is just the specifications for the file formatting on the hard drive.  It applies to audio only files.  Those which contain both audio and video will not be WAV files.

PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is a method of encoding analog audio, turning it into a digital signal.  This applies to both computers and separate components (CD players, DAWs, most cameras).  It is the codec CDs use.  It is also the standard for DV.  Even most WAV files contain PCM audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wav

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation

• 5. Re: Audio Settings for Premiere Pro CS4 during capture
                  R. Cole Level 1

Thanks again Jim. The only reason I started wondering was because of what I read in another thread in this forum. It was a few days back but the original poster had some audio issues and someone else recommended Gspot to analyze it and they said it should be WAV or there would be quality loss down the road. I don't think his track was audio only but I can't recall if it was sourced from DV. When I analyzed mine I saw it was PCM and wanted to make sure. Thanks for clarifying. 

• 6. Re: Audio Settings for Premiere Pro CS4 during capture
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In your situation, G-Spot just used "shorthand." That's why I always type the extra characters (unless I'm being very lazy) to get "PCM/WAV," when talking about Audio, especially with regards to DVD-spec. Audio.

Nice Audio gear, BTW,

Hunt