2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2009 9:12 PM by MichaelKazlow

PDFs Won't Read Properly on Preview

msclara_00

Hi guys!

I'm on a Mac computer.

I have a PDF packet that contains 7 pages (6.5 MB). It displays fine on Adobe reader, but when you try to view the file in Preview, a couple of the more graphic intense pages, not everything shows up clearly.

I'm trying to convince here that Adobe Reader is the standard, but she is insisting that everyone uses Preview to view PDFs. This file is going to MTV... can anyone confirm that Preview is more commonly used? I have always thought that Adobe reader was the standard to read PDF.... I may be wrong

• 1. Re: PDFs Won't Read Properly on Preview
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

msclara_00 wrote:

can anyone confirm that Preview is more commonly used?

Well, for starters it's only available on a Mac so Windows users (the majority) will be using Reader (or some other third party PDF viewer). On a Mac, I can only speak for myself but I use Reader and ignore Preview. It whacks out some PDF's no matter how they were created.

If you are creating PDF's with Acrobat then it's expected that they will work best either in Acrobat or Reader.

• 2. Re: PDFs Won't Read Properly on Preview
            MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Preview has not traditionally kept up with Acrobat PDF featurea or versions. You cannot for example save pdf forms enabled with Reader extensions. Not all digital rights management work with Preview. PDF portfolios cannot be viewed in Preview, but other than that Preview is great for viewing pdfs ;-)