7 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2009 12:18 PM by kglad

Am I Not Publishing Correctly?

projectu Level 1
      Okay I'm brand new to flash, I purchased a premade flash movie, where all I had to do was edit the config.xml file and add my own images to the source folder and this would change the images in the flash movie, the text, etc.
      So I have Flash open, and I "Open Project" and I open my folder called SOURCE and all my files are in there, my .fla, .swf, .xml, files along with image files. When I click on Test Project it looks beautiful, works perfect. But when I PUBLISH which sends the published file to that same folder and I copy the entire folder onto my web server and insert the flash movie onto my webapge it comes up blank, just black screen.

Do you guys have any idea why? Is it possible I'm not incorporating the flash movie into the website correctly? Or maybe I didn't publish it correctly? I've attached a zip file which contains my source folder and all files. What's killing me is that it functions perfect inside the Flash program when I test it, but I can't get that result on my website.
      This video is for a non profit website, so it's pretty urgent I figure this out asap. Thank you very much for your help.
        • 1. Re: Am I Not Publishing Correctly?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the most common problem with be a changed path from the embedding html file to the xml and/or image files.  the second most common problem with be a file name typo.  eg, myfile.xml is used in the swf's actionscript to load the xml file and the xml file name is really myfile.XML.

• 2. Re: Am I Not Publishing Correctly?
            AttaBoy2 Level 3

when you upload to the web server are you uploading as binary or text?

• 3. Re: Am I Not Publishing Correctly?
              projectu Level 1

doghouseJim what I did was simply copy the entire source folder of the flash video into my local server, which made that folder visible locally in Dreamweaver, I then synchronized that folder from the local server to the remote server. At no point did I distingush between uploading anything as binary or text, not even sure how I would do that or why I would do that.

• 4. Re: Am I Not Publishing Correctly?
                projectu Level 1

kglad, when you say "most common problem with be a changed path from the embedding html file to the xml and/or image files.",  do you mean that the html file that I wish to include the flash video in (in my case index.html) has the wrong path to the folder which contains the flash video and supporting files (.xml file, image files, etc) ?  Because in Dreamweaver I simply went to Insert-> Media -> Flash and then pointed to where my source folder was that contains all those files.

You also said "the second most common problem with be a file name typo.  eg, myfile.xml is used in the swf's actionscript to load the xml file and the xml file name is really myfile.XML."    Now I'm a complete newbie, so when you say the 'swf's actionscript' I'm not 100% sure what that is. How do I know if there is any actionscript in the .swf at all? Maybe that's my problem. I'm assuming there is because like I said when I "Test Project" in FLASH it works beautifully.

Thank you both for your responses, can't wait to get this solved.

• 5. Re: Am I Not Publishing Correctly?

1.  are your html and swf files in the same directory?  if not, you have a path problem

2.  there's actionscript used to load the xml file and the image files.  if you changed no file names and the template worked correctly, this is not a problem.  you can test the template by uploading the unedited template to your server and testing it.

3.  upload file protocol won't be an issue because this was handled automatically for you.

• 6. Re: Am I Not Publishing Correctly?
                    projectu Level 1

Thank you!!!!!!  That was it, my source files were not in the same directory as my .html file, I thought that was fine because the code in my .html file was calling on those files from their correct location, but I guess they have to be in the same directory as the .html file itself. Beautiful, thank you very very much for your help!

God bless

• 7. Re: Am I Not Publishing Correctly?

you're welcome.